Hillsboro 31 Beech 26

HighLife

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a beech fan, but they had a lot of injuries. Hard to lose what they lost and be a powerhouse. Anytime you lose a 5-star athlete it's kind of difficult.

Obviously losing him 1st game of the season is a big loss but 1) it was the first game, adapt, and 2) "anytime you lose a 5-star athlete it's kind of difficult"...how many high school teams period have 5 stars?

This was not the Beech of the recent past but big win for Hillsboro

Edited by fballfiend

Obviously losing him 1st game of the season is a big loss but 1) it was the first game, adapt, and 2) "anytime you lose a 5-star athlete it's kind of difficult"...how many high school teams period have 5 stars?

This was not the Beech of the recent past but big win for Hillsboro

My comment was in response to the powerhouse remark. I believe Beech would have remained dominate with Hurd. I understand that not many people have a 5 star player, that's what makes it a big deal. Adapt? You can. But you will never be as good. It's hard to replace that kind if player. Without him they were a good team. My understandin tht had several others out for several games this year.

Regardless, congratulations to Hillsboro. Any playoff win is a big win.

My comment was in response to the powerhouse remark. I believe Beech would have remained dominate with Hurd. I understand that not many people have a 5 star player, that's what makes it a big deal. Adapt? You can. But you will never be as good. It's hard to replace that kind if player. Without him they were a good team. My understandin tht had several others out for several games this year.

Regardless, congratulations to Hillsboro. Any playoff win is a big win.

Excellent post.

Sounds like Beech needs to face the reality of loosing. One player shouldn't be the reason or excuse that VOL74 is trying to rationalize their short comings. No shame in losing a player( Jalen Hurd). The shame is not finding someone or other players on the team to step up. The Beach Coach (Crabtree)

didn't do anything different, he just moved a key player ,Parker Henry, to cover Hurd's vacant DB position, and leaned on Dorian Carter for the Offense. This is ok, but he has 70+ guys on the roster.

Playing these two key players both ways was bound to fail at some point. They are good, but physically they were worn down. 11 games both ways and special teams is Ironman stuff, but physically it takes a toll. Had Crabtree taken the opportunity to develop a few underclass man he would have more than likely kept Carter and Henry in better shape. This would have more than likely made a big impact on Beach loosing in the first round. Their best players may have been more affective.

Becoming a coach requires developing your best athletes to play all the positions. Not necessarily using a kid only at the position he currently plays or wants to play. Developing depth is a need for all teams.

Coaches are always telling their kids "one player doesn't make a team", yet they only play the same kids. Talent is never developed without practice. So more kids should be developed for success.

Sounds like Beech needs to face the reality of loosing. One player shouldn't be the reason or excuse that VOL74 is trying to rationalize their short comings. No shame in losing a player( Jalen Hurd). The shame is not finding someone or other players on the team to step up. The Beach Coach (Crabtree)

didn't do anything different, he just moved a key player ,Parker Henry, to cover Hurd's vacant DB position, and leaned on Dorian Carter for the Offense. This is ok, but he has 70+ guys on the roster.

Playing these two key players both ways was bound to fail at some point. They are good, but physically they were worn down. 11 games both ways and special teams is Ironman stuff, but physically it takes a toll. Had Crabtree taken the opportunity to develop a few underclass man he would have more than likely kept Carter and Henry in better shape. This would have more than likely made a big impact on Beach loosing in the first round. Their best players may have been more affective.

Becoming a coach requires developing your best athletes to play all the positions. Not necessarily using a kid only at the position he currently plays or wants to play. Developing depth is a need for all teams.

Coaches are always telling their kids "one player doesn't make a team", yet they only play the same kids. Talent is never developed without practice. So more kids should be developed for success.

I agree with your point here, but you should probably get your facts straight. Carter stopped playing D after Hurd got hurt.

Interesting fact: Since going to the 6-class system in 2009, the defending 5A state champion has lost in the first round every year. Beech in '10, Columbia in '11, Henry County in '12, and Beech again in '13.

That really is interesting...its like the Superbowl loser not making the playoffs the following season. Have to keep an eye on it next season with whoever wins this season.

Interesting fact: Since going to the 6-class system in 2009, the defending 5A state champion has lost in the first round every year. Beech in '10, Columbia in '11, Henry County in '12, and Beech again in '13.

Very interesting fact indeed. To not win another championship is not unexpected. It's not even unexpected to not make it to the quarter-finals. But for all defending 5A champions to lose their first round game is almost too much of a consequence. 

Very interesting fact indeed. To not win another championship is not unexpected. It's not even unexpected to not make it to the quarter-finals. But for all defending 5A champions to lose their first round game is almost too much of a consequence. 

I believe Hillsboro won in the first round against Glencliff in 09 but I might be mistaken