Dobyns-Bennett Football 2014

.....steps up on soap box

You know it could be that this problem was hatched several years ago when the "city school officials" didn't think there would be a problem with a four lane street running through their school campus. And also lets not worry about slowing down traffic to 15mph (school zone speed), lets run them through there at 30mph. Very poor planning by the city. I'm worried about the fix they'll come up with as it will very likely make it worse. Then you have the kids that are either not paying attention where their walking because their texting their friend that's walking right beside them, or their so cocky they think the car will stop for them as they walk right out in front of them. Of course the cocky ones don't realize the drivers are not even watching the road because their texting the person sitting right beside them. You would think a crossover walk would fix the problem but I don't know. They have one at Science Hill that's been there for years and I can't ever remember seeing anyone walking across it. Several years ago there was a boy that was killed while riding his skate board in the street. The community was told it happened because the kids didn't have a skate park and had to ride in the streets. Well we built a skate park and now the number of street skaters has increased 3 fold. The only thing I can say is "you can't fix stupid"  I do like the new Taj Mahal that houses the city school officials down town. That water fall in front is special. I also like how they "re-did" all the streets and sidewalks within seeing distance of any window in the building. That way they don't have to look at all the crumbling streets and sidewalks like the rest of us.  

.......gets down off soap box, rant over

The cross over at Science Hill would get a 100 times the use behind DB because of the kids that live on the other side and the fact a lot of DB's sports facilities are over there. .Build another little iron fence beside the road right up to the cross bridge as well.Then put an officer there to make sure knowbody stops on the main road to pick up their kids.Then you have fixed most of the school time and after school problems.Nothing is 100%,but atleast it would look like we care about our kids.This part may sell it for sure ,they could put little trees and bushes on it like they did the parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Batman and Art,

There's a thread started here in 5a/6a asking to pick your school's Mt. Rushmore.  Pretty neat idea.  I was thinking about a few local school (DB, Science Hill, TN High, South, Elizabethton).  Being a transplant I really can't talk about players in NET before 2000 or so.  I'd really be interested to see you guys place your Mt. Rushmore up on that thread.  Such long running schools like DB and TN High could be almost impossible to pick just 4.  That's the rule - 4 - it's Mt. Rushmore. 

Maybe Cap can address TN High.  Not sure who knows Science Hill (But I know Stacy isn't one of their 4).  South, maybe Crawdad or ?? (again, not Stacy).  South is a "newer" school and might be easier. 

I know its the offseason, but I'll try to watch for you guys on that thread.

Hey Batman and Art,

There's a thread started here in 5a/6a asking to pick your school's Mt. Rushmore.  Pretty neat idea.  I was thinking about a few local school (DB, Science Hill, TN High, South, Elizabethton).  Being a transplant I really can't talk about players in NET before 2000 or so.  I'd really be interested to see you guys place your Mt. Rushmore up on that thread.  Such long running schools like DB and TN High could be almost impossible to pick just 4.  That's the rule - 4 - it's Mt. Rushmore. 

Maybe Cap can address TN High.  Not sure who knows Science Hill (But I know Stacy isn't one of their 4).  South, maybe Crawdad or ?? (again, not Stacy).  South is a "newer" school and might be easier. 

I know its the offseason, but I'll try to watch for you guys on that thread.

OK pudding,I put my two cents worth in for Greeneville and Dobyns Bennett.Four is very hard,there were several Greene Devils I could have used if the topic had been best players nomatter what , instead of Mt.Rushmore.

OK pudding,I put my two cents worth in for Greeneville and Dobyns Bennett.Four is very hard,there were several Greene Devils I could have used if the topic had been best players nomatter what , instead of Mt.Rushmore.

Hey Batman, for the players you mentioned, are any facilities named for them? Those are some famous names.

Hey Batman, for the players you mentioned, are any facilities named for them? Those are some famous names.

Yep,Everyone knows about Bobby Dodd stadium.For both schools{ DB and Greeneville } those are a few of the best names from either  high school,college,and pro football as well as pro baseball in the case of Dale Alexander that have came from this area.You would just have to google most of them to really appreciate what they done.I put a name that some people may have not heard of around the country .I played against growing up and with Raymond Perry{ Greeneville } who was around 6'2" - 6'3" 235- 240 , ran a sub 4.6 and could bench the world.He played tackle in highschool but would have been a monster linebacker in college if he hadn't got hurt his senior year.

You know it could be that this problem was hatched several years ago when the "city school officials" didn't think there would be a problem with a four lane street running through their school campus. And also lets not worry about slowing down traffic to 15mph (school zone speed), lets run them through there at 30mph. Very poor planning by the city. I'm worried about the fix they'll come up with as it will very likely make it worse. Then you have the kids that are either not paying attention where their walking because their texting their friend that's walking right beside them, or their so cocky they think the car will stop for them as they walk right out in front of them. Of course the cocky ones don't realize the drivers are not even watching the road because their texting the person sitting right beside them. You would think a crossover walk would fix the problem but I don't know. They have one at Science Hill that's been there for years and I can't ever remember seeing anyone walking across it. Several years ago there was a boy that was killed while riding his skate board in the street. The community was told it happened because the kids didn't have a skate park and had to ride in the streets. Well we built a skate park and now the number of street skaters has increased 3 fold. The only thing I can say is "you can't fix stupid"  I do like the new Taj Mahal that houses the city school officials down town. That water fall in front is special. I also like how they "re-did" all the streets and sidewalks within seeing distance of any window in the building. That way they don't have to look at all the crumbling streets and sidewalks like the rest of us.  

well said

Tell us how you really feel about it :thumb: