CPA Basketball

bjl1929

Would you have put Fleming more outside to either let him shoot if Blackwell didn't come out, or open up the baseline if Blackwell did come out? Bowers is a million times better coach than I would be, but it just seemed like Fleming added nothing to the game until he made a few outside shots, which is what makes him tough. I think the deliberate halfcourt scheme turned a pretty good team into a bad team. But they would lost regardless.

At 6'4", Fleming is by far Bower's tallest player.  Ferby is listed at 6'2", but that is a bit of a stretch.  Lack of height forces Bowers to play many of his kids out of their natural position.  Will be good for the kids in the long run, but sometimes makes for some ugly basketball when they have to play a half-court game against more traditionally-sized opponents.  Last year, they were small as well, but Corn was very very good at organizing the full-court offense.  Point guards  this year have skills, but they are a freshman and a sophomore, so it will take a while to develop into the playmaker that Corn was.

• Upvote 1

At 6'4", Fleming is by far Bower's tallest player.  Ferby is listed at 6'2", but that is a bit of a stretch.  Lack of height forces Bowers to play many of his kids out of their natural position.  Will be good for the kids in the long run, but sometimes makes for some ugly basketball when they have to play a half-court game against more traditionally-sized opponents.  Last year, they were small as well, but Corn was very very good at organizing the full-court offense.  Point guards  this year have skills, but they are a freshman and a sophomore, so it will take a while to develop into the playmaker that Corn was.

I agree, but my point was that trying to trying to play 1/2 court with Fleming as a post player (not his strength) just made a bad situation worse. They didn't "have" to play a 1/2 court game, they chose to. If you are not a 1/2 court team, but know you cannot run with someone, try it like he did, then when you get down 15, go ahead and accept the loss and let your players play their game so at least they get to practice against a running team.

I agree, but my point was that trying to trying to play 1/2 court with Fleming as a post player (not his strength) just made a bad situation worse. They didn't "have" to play a 1/2 court game, they chose to. If you are not a 1/2 court team, but know you cannot run with someone, try it like he did, then when you get down 15, go ahead and accept the loss and let your players play their game so at least they get to practice against a running team.

Y'all seem to delight in giving kbrks a hard way to go, but he knows the game better than most of the yahoos on these boards.  Bowers knows better than to try to reconfigure his entire team overnight - the win against JP2 the night before meant much more to Ensworth than the CPA game.  Bowers has configured what he has to work with in the manner that he believes gives his team the best shot against their D2 competition - don't see why he would try to change that to play a meaningless game against a very very good CPA team.  With 3 State Championships in a row, it has worked well for him.  I love how some come out of the woodwork every time a Bowers-coached team loses - it looked to me that CPA's girls lost by more than Ensworth's boys did - yet the CPA supporters seem to want to debate Bower's strategy rather than that of the CPA girl's coach.  Interesting, to say the least.

Y'all seem to delight in giving kbrks a hard way to go, but he knows the game better than most of the yahoos on these boards.  Bowers knows better than to try to reconfigure his entire team overnight - the win against JP2 the night before meant much more to Ensworth than the CPA game.  Bowers has configured what he has to work with in the manner that he believes gives his team the best shot against their D2 competition - don't see why he would try to change that to play a meaningless game against a very very good CPA team.  With 3 State Championships in a row, it has worked well for him.  I love how some come out of the woodwork every time a Bowers-coached team loses - it looked to me that CPA's girls lost by more than Ensworth's boys did - yet the CPA supporters seem to want to debate Bower's strategy rather than that of the CPA girl's coach.  Interesting, to say the least.

I'm sorry you misinterpreted by posts. Did you read where I said he is a million times better coach than I would ever be? I was just discussing the game. If he was playing the game he always plays, I stand corrected and you are right - why change for one game that does not affect the season? As I watched, it appeared he was trying to play in a way that he thought gave him a chance to win against CPA, by holding the ball. When it didn't work, my only point was why not play your regular game (maybe he was) because I felt the game plan took Fleming out of his comfort zone. BTW, I really respect Bowers and what he has done at MBA and Ensworth, but sometimes I disagree with the CPA coaches as well. I admit they are more right more often than I am. Have a great day.

I'm sorry you misinterpreted by posts. Did you read where I said he is a million times better coach than I would ever be? I was just discussing the game. If he was playing the game he always plays, I stand corrected and you are right - why change for one game that does not affect the season? As I watched, it appeared he was trying to play in a way that he thought gave him a chance to win against CPA, by holding the ball. When it didn't work, my only point was why not play your regular game (maybe he was) because I felt the game plan took Fleming out of his comfort zone. BTW, I really respect Bowers and what he has done at MBA and Ensworth, but sometimes I disagree with the CPA coaches as well. I admit they are more right more often than I am. Have a great day.

Hope you have a great day as well.  Ensworth's pace heretofore has been much different than it was last year - takes a talented, experienced triggerman to run like they did last year (lost to CPA by, I think, 5 at CPA).  The young point guards are getting there, but not yet ready to be let loose like Corn was.  

Corn was a special player at Ensworth.  It was apparent he made Ferby and Fleming better.  They seemed a little pedestrian without him.  As good as Lindsey was for CPA...CPA seems to be doing just fine without him.  Not saying they wouldn't love to have had him back.  CPA actually lost a lot players from last year including Lindsey, Spann, and Parker Howell (shoulder) but keeps on clicking.  I'm amazed at how well guys like Sam Johnson, Andrew Manuel, Micah Davis and Ben Dreher are playing in their places.   Then CPA has Allsmiller, Bonds and Richard as seniors....that's too many weapons for most teams to stop.  Ensworth would focus on stopping Blackwell, Bonds and Allsmiller on D and then CPA would whip the ball around to a wide open Richard who would drive in for an easy bucket.  Just too many weapons for Ensworth to stop.  Ricky is an great coach but he didn't have the horses to keep up.  But don't forget....Maddux is a great coach too and he had a great game plan to attack Ensworth inside where they were weak and when they packed it in CPA has the ability to kick it out for 3.  Hard to defend both well.   

Also, it is apparent that Blackwell has the highest ceiling of any of the afore mentioned players.  He is a true high major D-1 recruit.  You will likely see him in the ACC or SEC playing meaningful minutes in huge games early in his college career.  He's that good.  He has all the tools and measurables and is so versatile as a player.  He can literally play all 5 positions well. 

I really don' see anyone in AA giving CPA a serious challenge the rest of the way unless they get into serious foul trouble and have an incredibly off night from the 3 point line. 

Would you have put Fleming more outside to either let him shoot if Blackwell didn't come out, or open up the baseline if Blackwell did come out? Bowers is a million times better coach than I would be, but it just seemed like Fleming added nothing to the game until he made a few outside shots, which is what makes him tough. I think the deliberate halfcourt scheme turned a pretty good team into a bad team. But they would lost regardless.

No real problem with Fleming in high post, always best to attack high post with someone who can score and create for others and Fleming might have been the best to do that for them.  Problem was not enough mobility on baseline to extend defense into corners (without getting trapped).  There were a few times baseline got behind defense for some baskets which could have happened more if defense extended more and made to move and cover more.  Plus, if going to control tempo has to be done on both ends of floor which means the transition game is critical. 

Y'all seem to delight in giving kbrks a hard way to go, but he knows the game better than most of the yahoos on these boards...

Thank you for the compliment.  And I could care less when others go that route of giving me a "hard way to go" as they are simply revealing who they truly are when they can't stay on topic and stoop to mock or go on a personal attack.  All it shows is they can not win the argument/debate with the truth or facts.   

...As good as Lindsey was for CPA...CPA seems to be doing just fine without him.  Not saying they wouldn't love to have had him back...    

Also, it is apparent that Blackwell has the highest ceiling of any of the afore mentioned players.  He is a true high major D-1 recruit... 

Doing fine without Lindsey because they have more than enough without him.  With him the margin of victories would have even been worse.  Amazing how players like these make coaches "great."  Really, I appreciate the fact you support your coach, but you seem to have a hard time admitting that CPA wins because they have by far the superior talent which truly is the bottom line.  If you are going to make your case then you need to provide those examples when games have been won when the team was outmanned or at least on the same level.  When was the last time that happened, when CPA did not possess all the personnel advantages and won the game? 

Doing fine without Lindsey because they have more than enough without him.  With him the margin of victories would have even been worse.  Amazing how players like these make coaches "great."  Really, I appreciate the fact you support your coach, but you seem to have a hard time admitting that CPA wins because they have by far the superior talent which truly is the bottom line.  If you are going to make your case then you need to provide those examples when games have been won when the team was outmanned or at least on the same level.  When was the last time that happened, when CPA did not possess all the personnel advantages and won the game? 

I agree with you that these are not great coaches (Bowers and Maddux).  Great coaches are not made or proven at the HS level since talent is the name of the game.  Great coaches are made at the college level when talent parity comes into play and coaching is more important.

As for the last part of your statement, why do you always attack CPA?  Do you find it hard to believe that area players will want to play for a former SEC all star who has a reputation of developing players?  Again, what's your complaint against CPA?  It's personal because it's the only program I see you attacking.  Whatever your reasoning, it's not working as nothing has changed in the direction of your argument over the years.