CPA Basketball

bjl1929

Not a fan but a fan of basketball. I think CPA won't lose this year but these things go in cycles.

They have two games that I could see them losing this weekend. In the JP 2 tournament. If they win there first game they will most likely match up against a very tough Kenwood team. If they win that one they would probably face a Urspring team in the finals were a doubled digit loss would not surprised me.

Edited by lookingFORtalent

JPII tourney - CPA beats Kenwood by 17 despite having the worse shooting game of the year; beats JPII in the finals 74-21 (that's not a misprint). Richard, Manuel, and Howell all starting to contribute well just a couple of weeks after football season.
Kenwood's only 2nd loss and JPII second loss to CPA and 4th overall. To put the JPII scores in perspective, CPA has beat them twice (home and away) by about 40 points average per game, and JPII only lost to undefeated Goodpasture by 2 on the road.

Edited by sportsnerd

• 4 weeks later...

Whether you like CPA basketball or not- it deserves to be near the top of the Coach T message boards- and with the locking of the last "hot" topic today- this is the only one available.

After watching the CPA-Ensworth game last night- two thoughts- CPA is still hard to beat for at least this year and Ensworth is certainly missing Corn Elder.

Whether you like CPA basketball or not- it deserves to be near the top of the Coach T message boards- and with the locking of the last "hot" topic today- this is the only one available.

After watching the CPA-Ensworth game last night- two thoughts- CPA is still hard to beat for at least this year and Ensworth is certainly missing Corn Elder.

Both. Elder was special. They have no guards near his talent level. I think Bower' s strategy to hold the ball took the better Ensworth players out of their game and made them too tentative. When they got down in double figures in the 2nd quarter, Bowers should have "picked his poison" and let his players play. They still would have lost but at least they would have played better.

CPA can be beat by a good team playing perfect on a day when CPA plays poorly, or Bonds and Blackwell get hurt or in foul trouble. That's about it.

Whether you like CPA basketball or not- it deserves to be near the top of the Coach T message boards- and with the locking of the last "hot" topic today- this is the only one available...

Does that mean I can answer ICM on this thread?

1.  I can back up any word I have ever posted on coachT.  No use in repeating previous examples since those like you are not interested in the truth, but I make you the same offer, feel free to contact me and set up a meeting. 

2.  You are right, simply requiring proof is not attacking, but the name calling, judging, etc., is and one doesn't even have to be a genius to figure that out.

3.  No "beef" with CPA though I do not agree with the unlevel playing field that has been created.  My only "beef" would be posters like you, representing a Christian community, who refuse to adhere to the posting rules/etiquette of coachT. 

Both. Elder was special. They have no guards near his talent level. I think Bower' s strategy to hold the ball took the better Ensworth players out of their game and made them too tentative. When they got down in double figures in the 2nd quarter, Bowers should have "picked his poison" and let his players play. They still would have lost but at least they would have played better.

CPA can be beat by a good team playing perfect on a day when CPA plays poorly, or Bonds and Blackwell get hurt or in foul trouble. That's about it.

I agree teams need to "pick their poison."  Though I know anything is possible in sports, I don't believe even a good HS team can beat CPA.  Better have at least 2 college D1 type players on floor (that is minimum, not even sure that is enough) and other good HS players and one of those D1s needs to be able to contend with Blackwell around the basket. 

Ensworth did not have the personnel to compete with CPA especially with really no time to prepare having played JPII the night before.  With JPII being the more important game since it was DII for both, I would think that was the focus of the preparation.  Bowers is a great coach, but just goes to show he can't play his system with this personnel to beat CPA.  Fleming would make a nice 2 or 3 for CPA, but other than that the rest would be sitting behind someone.  

Bowers needed time to make the necessary adjustments.  There is a lot more to controlling tempo, which has to be done if you don't have the personnel, then simply holding the ball (and those possessions can't end in turnovers as they did last night).  Offensively they had no real way to attack the baseline area consistently to be successful vs. CPA's main defense, they primarily kept everything high.  Defensively, I was surprised they let CPA consistently get in transition and even behind the defense.  Course that simply goes to show how much speed CPA has in getting the ball up the floor.  But "pick your poison" even if it means on the shot sending all 5 back to make sure no one gets behind, the ball is slowed up and Allsmiller is picked up by half court so he cannot get spotted up.  Easier said than done of course...    

I agree teams need to "pick their poison."  Though I know anything is possible in sports, I don't believe even a good HS team can beat CPA.  Better have at least 2 college D1 type players on floor (that is minimum, not even sure that is enough) and other good HS players and one of those D1s needs to be able to contend with Blackwell around the basket. 

Ensworth did not have the personnel to compete with CPA especially with really no time to prepare having played JPII the night before.  With JPII being the more important game since it was DII for both, I would think that was the focus of the preparation.  Bowers is a great coach, but just goes to show he can't play his system with this personnel to beat CPA.  Fleming would make a nice 2 or 3 for CPA, but other than that the rest would be sitting behind someone.  

Bowers needed time to make the necessary adjustments.  There is a lot more to controlling tempo, which has to be done if you don't have the personnel, then simply holding the ball (and those possessions can't end in turnovers as they did last night).  Offensively they had no real way to attack the baseline area consistently to be successful vs. CPA's main defense, they primarily kept everything high.  Defensively, I was surprised they let CPA consistently get in transition and even behind the defense.  Course that simply goes to show how much speed CPA has in getting the ball up the floor.  But "pick your poison" even if it means on the shot sending all 5 back to make sure no one gets behind, the ball is slowed up and Allsmiller is picked up by half court so he cannot get spotted up.  Easier said than done of course...    

Would you have put Fleming more outside to either let him shoot if Blackwell didn't come out, or open up the baseline if Blackwell did come out? Bowers is a million times better coach than I would be, but it just seemed like Fleming added nothing to the game until he made a few outside shots, which is what makes him tough. I think the deliberate halfcourt scheme turned a pretty good team into a bad team. But they would lost regardless.