PORTLAND PANTHER FOOTBALL COACH RESIGNS

64NB95

There are several coaches I could think of that would be great hires. It may be a good idea to get someone that is young enough to feel they have something to prove, yet experienced enough to know what it takes to win (and mentor kids). I may be the only one that thinks this, but I also think you go to someone with no ties to portland. Fresh start, new staff, new thoughts, ambitions and philosophies.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several coaches I could think of that would be great hires. It may be a good idea to get someone that is young enough to feel they have something to prove, yet experienced enough to know what it takes to win (and mentor kids). I may be the only one that thinks this, but I also think you go to someone with no ties to portland. Fresh start, new staff, new thoughts, ambitions and philosophies.

After reading what all is going on in Marion County, I just feel for those parents, and students. 

I will tell you this.  Portland had the players in 2013 to win 5 or 6 games and with some good Coaching 7-3 was not out of the picture.  There are teams that won this many games that would have liked to had the talent Portland had.  Portland  played the likes of Greenbrier, Westmoreland and White House.  Lebanon wasn't very good.  Wilson Central was very beatable.  Gallatin was beatable.  Beech at the time was very beatable and so was Mt. Juliet this year due to injuries.  That is eight teams.  When 7 of just those games you are looking at 7 and 3 and playoffs.

i am glad SOUTHERNFRIED jumped on this becuase it is the most delusional post i have read. probably by a parent of a player that isnt very good. Portland did not have the talent nor the speed to compete with anyone on their schedule this year. according to SOUTHERNFRIED and the papers, they were playing mostly sophmores due to injuries. those are the FACTS.

The same staff that won last year and made the playoffs for the first time in any class other than 3A, was there this year... Roger Perry couldnt do it and Portland runs off the first coach that does. Does this make sense to anyone???

who would want this job? Blame the system... they have had 3 head coaches and up to 3 different systems of offense and defense since Perry left. they all lost. the only constant in Porland is the Talent... or the lack thereof. Well,  that and delusional fans.

Good luck with your search, i hope they find a good one.  

I still stick with my statement.  Lack of Talent is not the issue at Portland.  I am not saying they are State Contenders year end year out but can have a winning program.  The kids played their hearts out against Westmoreland and after that game folded it.  Gallatin didn't fold after losing to TC they are still playing.

I still stick with my statement. Lack of Talent is not the issue at Portland. I am not saying they are State Contenders year end year out but can have a winning program. The kids played their hearts out against Westmoreland and after that game folded it. Gallatin didn't fold after losing to TC they are still playing.

So you mean to say that after the first game of the year, they lose and the season was done?

They should try to get Brent Alexander or chad Perry (roger Perry family member). Or schedule new schools and 1a teams. Put east Robertson and red boiling springs on schedule.

Does Brent Alexander have qualifications to teach public school now? I am still of the understanding he can only teach in a private school due to state requirements.

Coach Aric has tenure and will probably continue teaching unless a better job comes up.  

eers, I agree with all you have said. The community has to buy in, not just the kids and time is needed. Good luck to Portland.

I still stick with my statement.  Lack of Talent is not the issue at Portland.  I am not saying they are State Contenders year end year out but can have a winning program.  The kids played their hearts out against Westmoreland and after that game folded it.  Gallatin didn't fold after losing to TC they are still playing.

Gallatin has Talent, that is why they are still playing. Last season Portland had talent that was able to compete and did. this season they did not. Coach Aric was the same coach, same staff, same district, talent graduated, which happens in high school football. it happened to Gallatin last year... did they run off coaches. no. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE STILL PLAYING. Portland has talent... just not 5A talent. 

Portland middle schools also have losing records. Will they change as well?

i agree with EERS, they need a young coach that will not be fired WHEN they have down seasons.  

So you mean to say that after the first game of the year, they lose and the season was done?

Yes they did.  I made the statement that Westmoreland was lucky to beat them and if they played as hard against WH as they did Westmoreland they would win that game.  A former WH Coach told me it didn't even look like the same team that played Westmoreland.  0-2 at that point. 

Does Brent Alexander have qualifications to teach public school now? I am still of the understanding he can only teach in a private school due to state requirements.

Coach Aric has tenure and will probably continue teaching unless a better job comes up.

I'm 99% sure Alexander has all required qualifications to teach public school. He was at Sation Camp for several years before going to JP2. He is a good coach and a good teacher. He knows the game and cares about the kids. I'm certain he would be a great head coach, just not sure Portland is the fit for him. Meaning he would be great for Portland, just not sure portland would be great for him, although I'm sure he would welcome a run at the district.

Yes they did. I made the statement that Westmoreland was lucky to beat them and if they played as hard against WH as they did Westmoreland they would win that game. A former WH Coach told me it didn't even look like the same team that played Westmoreland. 0-2 at that point.

I do not see how an entire season hinges on one game. Especially after they made a playoff appearance the year before. Teams improve a lot past the first game. Sounds more like injuries and a lull in talent had more to do with it then the team just cashing it in after one game.

I do not see how an entire season hinges on one game. Especially after they made a playoff appearance the year before. Teams improve a lot past the first game. Sounds more like injuries and a lull in talent had more to do with it then the team just cashing it in after one game.

Perhaps a lull in talent, but I saw some talent. Perhaps it was just the "wrong" talent. Wht I mean by that is that perhaps it was the wrong talent for the system or the wrong system for the talent. I think far too many HS coaches try to be system coaches, trying to fit kids to their system rather than fitting a system around their talent. It's not college football where you recruit kids to work in your system, you have to tailor your system to what you're dealt.

You also have to use the system accordingly. I don't know all the coaches, so I can only speculate, but that's how I saw it. I'm also not real sure what was going on with the no huddle version of the single wing??? If I feel like I don't have the talent to compete, I slow the game down and shorten it as much as possible. Seems a little contradictory, but that's just my opinion.