PORTLAND PANTHER FOOTBALL COACH RESIGNS

64NB95

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya'll need to take a look at Josh Caraway.   Played for GQ at Maryville.  Great player, Academic Scholar, Great Motivator.  Future top notch coach.

I would look at Lance Nutt & Derek Willis from Waynesboro.  They have made great strides with the WMS team in Waynesboro. 

Gwave, you nailed it. This makes our 3rd or 4th coach in 7/8 years? Now the new guy will come in, try to get his program established, in the smallest 5a school,  that played the 6th toughest schedule in the state this year. 8 of the 10 teams these kids played made it to the playoffs. We were outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 every Friday night. I feel for anyone that steps up to take this job. Every Friday night your David vs Goliath. I admire, adore my son for having the courage to step out on that field in those conditions, and to never give up. Lord help these men, that make a living coaching in high school sports. A venue in which 80% of the parents know more than the coaches, a venue in which I have seen parents complain about coaches working their kids too hard in practice, yet complain when they dont play on Friday night. A venue in which grown adults say and do things toward those same players that would make a grown man feel sorry for them and pray to God to show mercy on their stupidity. But the icing on the cake is these men having to listen to someone, that played football back in the 50's, telling them how they should do it, how they did it, and how if they don't, they are stupid. Really? back then the average high school line weighed 150, and today's average 300. Yea I see the resemblance.....I will support the next coach as I have supported our past one, by praying for him, and the safety of the players. It high school football with 15-18 yr old kids. Adults act like it. Kids, go give it your all, and never quit......from what I've read, the resignation was "unexpected and not asked for" according to the Principal, Mr. Woods. I wish Coach Aric the best, for working my son, for being consistent, and squeezing every ounce out of him that he could. Thats all I can ever ask for, from any coach.

Portland can be a good place to be. It will take a new regime and the new coach has to have the authority to bring in his own staff and the support to resurrect a once proud program. It will be an uphill battle, as the negativity permeates throughout the school, community and boosters. I know several coaches that would be up to the task and would welcome the challenge. It will take a renewed sense of energy and some thought provoking actions, but I do believe it can be done.

Good luck in the search and to the incoming coach.

This is becoming a coaching graveyard.. Coming from someone from Hendersonville, I really hope you find that guy and get back to being a great program. I would love to see Portland winning and in the hunt, competing with the Hville, Beech, and Gallatins of the world in Sumner County.

Honestly, and I hate to say it because I'd rather him stay here.. But Hendersonvilles Freshman coach hasn't lost a single game in over 2 years.. He was on the staff for the last great Portland team that won state back in 2000 I believe before they started moving up divisions. Those days, those boys could compete with anybody, but if you're looking for a good coach with Portland ties.. That would be the first guy I would call.