PORTLAND PANTHER FOOTBALL COACH RESIGNS

64NB95

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southerfried you said: They split the middles schools, which was a disaster, now you have two football teams running two different offenses than what we are running in the high school. The Freshmen have to relearn everything from both schools again.

To me this is an irrelevant and misinformed point. 

One middle school in town runs the wing t.  Their boys run the power sweep, buck sweep, jet sweep, trap, belly G, and bootleg.  Same plays as the high school runs.  Might be called a different name in the huddle, but the schemes are the same. 

Furthermore, why would a middle school coach want to completely change his offensive system year in and year out to match what the high school is doing.  There have been 3 head coaches in 6 years at PHS with a 4th coming.  You can't expect a program to follow all those changes blindly.  Middle schools aren't toy soliders, expected to follow the high schools whims.

Since the split, both middle schools are hovering around the .500 mark in wins as compared to a 6-45 record over the same time period by PHS.  Hardly a disaster when you realize the middle schools are playing the split programs for HHS, BHS, GHS, and SCHS.

The problem doesn't lay at the coaches feet of any program in Portland, in lies with the boys.  There are too many good players that never play at PHS.  When a coach can find a way to get the jimmies and joes on the field then PHS can also expect to hover around the .500 mark and be competitive.  Gerald Turner's aren't walking the halls at PHS but there are quality athletes.  When you can run 60-70-80 quality atheltes onto the field you have a chance to hang in games, win some in the 4th, beat some teams unexpectedly and beat the teams you are supposed to beat. 

Aric was a good coach and so were his staff members. I wish them the best of luck and I wish the new staff luck as well.  Their main job is to get the boys on the field.

Southernfried I appreciate your loyalty to Portland as well.  We need more men and supporters like you!

Thanks, I guess I should have been more elaborate in my "middle school" analogy. As far as sports are concerned, I was speaking of all the sports in middle school, basketball, volleyball, football, etc. We don't have a baseball program, but, as far as I know we still do have the Sluggers, which is about as close to "middle school" as you can get. I should know, I helped coach them for 3 years. That team was based off of kids from both middles schools, and when we played the Hvilles teams, TW Hunters team, and the like we did hold our own. No I wouldnt expect the middle schools to be at the whims of the high school coaches, I was referring to we need stability in this town from the time they are 4-5 yrs old till they reach high school, I should have been more precise,....East has had multiple head coaches in football in the last 3 years, specially since Coach Combs left to be an assistant at the high school. West has had the same Coach since he left East to be the West coach. West has had more success in that they won the county two years ago, but since have faired about as well as East. Combine those two teams and they may do pretty well. A lot of parents like having two middle schools since it gives more children an opportunity to play. I see that. I also see if there was only one middle school fewer children may be able to play. But, when they get to high school, there is only one team there. Just as it is at Beech, TW Hunter is there on the same property, though other kids can attend Beech as well. Not all the players that played at West are now at the high school, some have went the private route, others have just quit....but, that happens in all sports. I still appreciate everyone in other towns support in this search for our town. Just as I would be pulling for your respective schools as well. As I have said often on here, I know kids in just about every high school in Sumner County, lol. I havent heard a peep from anyone on who has put in or not put in, lol some here, seem to be more in the "know", and Im fine with that. I hate that we are going through it, for the players sake, but, if you play sports long enough, you will go through it. Its a learning for them as well...............they were joking with me at work today, since we came in last place, we must be looking forward to having the #1 draft pick from middle school, lol, ha ha.....

Listen, I don't mean to be short and you seem very clued in and assiduous concerning this position but, it looks as if they will hire within. Chase may want to stay discreet or may pull back.

I didn't take it as short, just thought I would ask. I believe there are some quality hires they could make and none of those are internal. IMO