PORTLAND PANTHER FOOTBALL COACH RESIGNS

64NB95

Portland is a place u can win at.. Numbers play a part but it doesn't stop u from winning. U have to develop talent thru all grade levels and make it exciting for the kids to come out and play

If you look all the way back to their Jr Pro teams (Middle TN Jr Football League) then it's looking like it will continue to be an uphill battle for years to come for Portland.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me what you mean here??

I was going off of what Highlife was talking about all grade levels. Their Jr pro teams- single A thru triple AAA (11-12 year olds) teams struggled in the league (M.T.J.F.L.) He was talking all ages having fun. Kids don't like playing for losing teams. No matter what ages. So much pressure is being put on young kids in today's world about winning. Even at Jr Pro. 

Edited by MJpride

I was going off of what Highlife was talking about all grade levels. Their Jr pro teams- single A thru triple AAA (11-12 year olds) teams struggled in the league (M.T.J.F.L.) He was talking all ages having fun. Kids don't like playing for losing teams. No matter what ages. So much pressure is being put on young kids in today's world about winning. Even at Jr Pro.

Would be curious to know if they play a 5th-6th grade league like several other middle schools in the county (club teams not truly associated with the middle schools). Reason I ask is that I know it has affected that age group in hendersonville.

Regardless, the importance of youth football is to teach the fundamentals of the game and get the kids involved. The HS coach could be part of that from a PR standpoint. There's a lot to having a successful "program" and not just the occasional successful team.

Edited by eers

Would be curious to know if they play a 5th-6th grade league like several other middle schools in the county (club teams not truly associated with the middle schools). Reason I ask is that I know it has affected that age group in hendersonville.

Regardless, the importance of youth football is to teach the fundamentals of the game and get the kids involved. The HS coach could be part of that from a PR standpoint. There's a lot to having a successful "program" and not just the occasional successful team.

Elaborate please.

Wow, yall been busy today, lol........lets see where to begin:

1-yes we have a 9/10 and 11/12 year old youth program called PYFL. They do go all the way down in age to 4 or 5 maybe? My son didnt start till he was 9/10

2- yes it will take a cultural change- anyone know what it feels like to look down to a player at the high school level, when they ask you "are they talking about us?" when they hear a supposedly an adult yell "yall suck!!!!!!!". I just look at them and say "no bubba, they are either yelling at the refs, or the coaches"....GROW UP PEOPLE

3-the numbers game. the reason I whine about the numbers is strictly for the law of averages. Just to hope we could get more numbers of kids to play the game. Throw out the whole question of whether we have enough ATHLETES  vs number of PLAYERS. There difference of width between those two would span an ocean. The last actual head count at PHS according to the coaches at the banquet we only had 1000. So Im sure everyones numbers are off by the time they take the numbers and the first day of school starts, but, it should be close.

4-We have lost a ton of jobs up here, and make no bones about it, a lot of kids have to go to work as soon as they turn 16. Even our starting RB #42 was working the local super market after practice and school. We are a farming community, my next door neighbors kids never played sports, why? Milking cows and farming were their recreation. Thats just the way it is, but, its the reason I love living up here from growing up in Gallatin in the 80's. Just as Coach Short was an athletic minded principal, our last was not, our new one is. He did win two state championships in girls softball, so Im sure he knows what to look for. 

5-for the most part yes the players did like playing for Aric, he does have that personality. 

6-As someone else posted, yes, there are players hoping they hire from within. Most of the players including the ones that come to our house everyday, lol. Just dont want a apple basket turnover, thats their biggest fear. 

7-Im more worried about several positions next year myself, our line will be rebuilding, our receivers will by young, we need a qb, the kids left in the qb slot this year, didnt get much playing time and it appears it will be "Baptism under fire", we should be ok at running back. Our #42 did a great job this year, and was the only Senior "true rb", we still will have 2 seniors, a Jr or two, and a sophomore that can flat out run.

8-It will be interesting to see how all this turns out. But all of you are correct, we dont need just pure numbers, we need ATHLETES to step up, including my own son. But, we are the type of parents that think our kids can always do better, no matter what. We want them always reaching for that ring on the merry go around, not settling on just riding the pony around.  

Elaborate please.

Several teams have recently formed a new league of 5th and 6th graders from those middle schools. It's much like soccer, baseball and volleyball in that it's not a sanctioned sport and they only use the schools "mascot". All the kids go to school together and play now 5th through 8th. I think it's a great idea, however it has nearly killed the "A" age group in "parks" football.

Several teams have recently formed a new league of 5th and 6th graders from those middle schools. It's much like soccer, baseball and volleyball in that it's not a sanctioned sport and they only use the schools "mascot". All the kids go to school together and play now 5th through 8th. I think it's a great idea, however it has nearly killed the "A" age group in "parks" football.

I know Hendersonville and Beech do. Who else does?