PORTLAND PANTHER FOOTBALL COACH RESIGNS

64NB95

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing how people with little or no knowledge of what is going on can make all these wild claims. Some of you make it sound like Portland should be playing for a state championship. Crazy. There was maybe one player on the whole team this year that could have went anywhere else in the district and had a chance to start. One.

If numbers don't matter then why have classes at all? Just put everyone in the same pot and play it out that way. Crazy. Sure smaller schools beat larger ones, but the averages favor the larger schools that have more athletes.

Does the whole coaching staff at PHS need to go? I don't think so. The dc is very well thought of by the team and the community. The oc, good coach, but tied to his single wing system. There is a couple of other coaches there that are pretty good as well, I just don't know them that well. I do know that Coach Aric only had himself and 4 assistants (full time) to cover varsity, jv, and freshmen. 5 coaches there everyday to do what most schools in the county do with 8-10. Tell me those numbers don't matter.

Finally, what works at one school and community may not work in another. Totally different culture. Again, I will say that Coach Roger Perry left for a reason, that being he knew the talent pool was way down and Portland was going up in class.

It is easy to sit on the outside and critique others. It is totally different when you are the one having to do the work.

It is amazing how people with little or no knowledge of what is going on can make all these wild claims. Some of you make it sound like Portland should be playing for a state championship. Crazy. There was maybe one player on the whole team this year that could have went anywhere else in the district and had a chance to start. One.

If numbers don't matter then why have classes at all? Just put everyone in the same pot and play it out that way. Crazy. Sure smaller schools beat larger ones, but the averages favor the larger schools that have more athletes.

Does the whole coaching staff at PHS need to go? I don't think so. The dc is very well thought of by the team and the community. The oc, good coach, but tied to his single wing system. There is a couple of other coaches there that are pretty good as well, I just don't know them that well. I do know that Coach Aric only had himself and 4 assistants (full time) to cover varsity, jv, and freshmen. 5 coaches there everyday to do what most schools in the county do with 8-10. Tell me those numbers don't matter.

Finally, what works at one school and community may not work in another. Totally different culture. Again, I will say that Coach Roger Perry left for a reason, that being he knew the talent pool was way down and Portland was going up in class.

It is easy to sit on the outside and critique others. It is totally different when you are the one having to do the work.

If you all think I'm admin at SC, this guys gotta be a coach at PHS!

Numbers matter, but don't equal 0-10

Coaches, I know what goes into it. I'm not taking anything away from the effort. The results however, just aren't favorable. I'm not saying all the assistants need to be gone, but that needs to be the next coach's call. He needs the option to bring in a whole new staff, otherwise it wouldn't be fair to him.

It seems to me there are two trains of thought prevalent in Portland; one that thinks they should have won 7 games, one that thinks its unfair, no athletes, wrong class, on and on. I will say it's somewhere in the middle. As most debates are. Being a smaller school with less athletes is going to make it more difficult, but not 0-10. That said, I believe a lot of other coaches would have the same fate.

I'm not saying I think coach Aric should have been fired had he not resigned, but now that he has resigned, you have to do what's best for the program. That doesn't equate to giving it to someone already on staff because the kids like him or a few people in the community do. You hire the best coach you can as a HC and allow him to dictate his staff. PERIOD.

Edited by eers

Nice try fellas. No dice.

My response was aimed at his questions. I really figured you to be administration however you may be a former coach/assistant. You obviously know some stuff but not quite everything as you have questioned me in the past on my info.

Me, I am just a fan. An opinionated one at times but I try my best to be factual. Not always perfect or right and I never tell all I know. Lol!!

My response was aimed at his questions. I really figured you to be administration however you may be a former coach/assistant. You obviously know some stuff but not quite everything as you have questioned me in the past on my info.

Me, I am just a fan. An opinionated one at times but I try my best to be factual. Not always perfect or right and I never tell all I know. Lol!!

Played a little football, watched a little football. Know more than some, less than others. But always have an opinion. Being a type A personality, I think I can always do it as good or better! Lol

Played a little football, watched a little football. Know more than some, less than others. But always have an opinion. Being a type A personality, I think I can always do it as good or better! Lol

eers, I never suspected admin. QB Club is my thought. GWAVE1, I know who you are. As for me, I just tell the truth with a little opinion on occasion. I know a little about football. Seen it at various levels. I am a big fan of the Green Wave. I'm a type A personality too but, just want to see things done the right way. 

Edited by TheRealTruth

If you all think I'm admin at SC, this guys gotta be a coach at PHS!

Numbers matter, but don't equal 0-10

Coaches, I know what goes into it. I'm not taking anything away from the effort. The results however, just aren't favorable. I'm not saying all the assistants need to be gone, but that needs to be the next coach's call. He needs the option to bring in a whole new staff, otherwise it wouldn't be fair to him.

It seems to me there are two trains of thought prevalent in Portland; one that thinks they should have won 7 games, one that thinks its unfair, no athletes, wrong class, on and on. I will say it's somewhere in the middle. As most debates are. Being a smaller school with less athletes is going to make it more difficult, but not 0-10. That said, I believe a lot of other coaches would have the same fate.

I'm not saying I think coach Aric should have been fired had he not resigned, but now that he has resigned, you have to do what's best for the program. That doesn't equate to giving it to someone already on staff because the kids like him or a few people in the community do. You hire the best coach you can as a HC and allow him to dictate his staff. PERIOD.

Not a coach, seeing as you guys are playing guessing games. Just someone who lives in the community and is close to the program. Eers, I was not directly trying to disagree with most of your statements as they seem pretty middle of the road. However, this is not college football where a whole staff can be fired. These guys also teach. So that is a major consideration.

Coach Aric is done, that is a fact, but you have to look at the circumstances that led to his resignation. Is it going to be any better for the next guy coming in? Is he going to have more than 4 full time assistants? Is the community actually going to step up and support him? Those are real concerns and anyone that thinks that a new coach can come in here and win tomorrow is on crack.

Bring in someone from the 'glory days' of PHS. They are going to find this isn't the Portland that won it all.

Yes, Portland did lose to those smaller schools. They had a TD called back against Westmoreland with 4 minutes in the game that would have given them the win. They did lay an egg against WH. Terrible performance. In the Greenbrier game they were winning at halftime and were driving to go up by 2scores when they fumble. Loss of momentum.

My overall point is, and it is a fact the number and quality of athletes in Portland is not what is needed to be successful in 9AAA.

Edited by BURebels