Ensworth-MUS

WesVLT

You obviously have a little trouble reading. I never said anything about disliking or hating anyone or the school. I voiced my opinion about the facts, an posed a simple question

You added the hate and bashing. The truth is the truth.

Ok - seems like counseling is needed here and given your mental state primal scream therapy will most likely work best.  Step out into the aisle - raise both hands over your head and scream "I hate Ricky Bowers!".  I know the Wal Mart customers in the check out line will not like this but we have to do it to help you.

• Upvote 1

No hate involved. Never met Ricky Bowers.. It was obvious which team was better coached. 5 offensive plays didn't beat MUS. No great game plan beat MUS. Recruiting isn't legal even in D2. So, I'm sure that is not the case. Trade coaches and Ensworth wins by 50. If it's all about recruiting and money then you are correct Ensworth will win the state title for the forseeable future. Don't see how any Ensworth fan can get excited about that. Especially ones paying tuition.

Since you seem such an expert on D2 football, I guess you understand that the Ensworth qb was a 15-year old sophomore starting his 3rd game ever due to injury? And that he was injured all last year so that this was effectively his first full year of hs football? What I saw was Ensworth managing the game to give itself the best chance to win against an excellent defense - it appears to have worked. You may be more interested in style points, but Ensworth is more interested in playing the best it can regardless of the circumstances. That it did and I could not be more proud of them.

btw, imo, that sophomore qb is Ensworth's qb of the future - great kid and a great athlete.

This game reminds me of Trezevant a couple of years ago. It is getting to the point where the TSSAA needs to possibly take the same action they gave Trezevant. Late hits while guys are trying to get up, deliberate face masks, this is getting out of hand!

Apologies to you Thunderbolts - you appear to have been misdirected to the wrong forum on CoachT. This is the tackle football forum - stuff happens in football that you probably would not want to see. I am sure if you keep searching, you will find the bowling forum and you can post there to your heart's content. Please make sure that everyone who participates receives their trophy during the snack period after the match.

I had not planned on posting again this year.  I am sick and tired of the seemingly endless hateful BS spawned yet another year by an EHS-BA game.  But I wanted to answer the many who have questioned the MUS coach for NOT running the ball late in the game.

Ahead 10-0 late in the 3rd quarter and already in easy FG range for Wunderlich around the 12 yd line, MUS had to have felt that one more TD would put the game out of reach at 17-0.  After their opening drive, the Owls were averaging about ONE yd per rushing attempt.  That's not going to get you into the end zone.  The pass was under thrown, intercepted at the goal line and run out to the 35.  The incredulous 4th quarter is history.

MUS had ZERO rushing game.  Their only runner Wright was a skinny WR-DB recently converted to RB only because their star (guaranteed Mr. Football finalist next year) RB Colton Neel was out AND their other RB Bradburn was also out.  They are both Juniors and assuming they will be back next year at full strength, you will realize in 2014 the magnitude of this loss. Wright is 5-9 155 lbs soaking wet as they say. 

Yet having said that, with the benefit of hindsight, I too would have liked to have seen a few rushing attempts to keep the Ensworth defense "honest" and to run off at least a little time.  After all, MUS had arguably the best punter in the state if they were stopped.  Every play it became more obvious that MUS was not going to run the ball, Ensworth went more all out at the QB.  We all saw what happened. 

The MUS coach (Alston) gambled and lost.  It is grossly unfair to make comments like "Is this his 1st game?"  MUS had amply demonstrated the quality of their coaching staff by what they did to a bigger, stronger, arguably more talented and athletic team for 3 quarters.

Edited by owlbooster
  • Upvote 1

Owlbooster makes a number of good points. I watched all of the game and thought MUS played inspired football; especially on Defense. Ensworth also has a terrific defense. As for the MUS coaches, I think they do an outstanding job. Looking back though, MUS was in total control of the game; even though they had no running game. And given how MUS was defending Ensworth, in my opinion, it would have been difficult for them to put together 2 scoring drives. When you live and die with a passing offense, interceptions are part of the deal. But we are all great armchair quarterbacks especially after the fact. MUS and Ensworth both have great coaching staffs and are the best in all of division II - and the state -- not close.

Owlbooster makes a number of good points. I watched all of the game and thought MUS played inspired football; especially on Defense. Ensworth also has a terrific defense. As for the MUS coaches, I think they do an outstanding job. Looking back though, MUS was in total control of the game; even though they had no running game. And given how MUS was defending Ensworth, in my opinion, it would have been difficult for them to put together 2 scoring drives. When you live and die with a passing offense, interceptions are part of the deal. But we are all great armchair quarterbacks especially after the fact. MUS and Ensworth both have great coaching staffs and are the best in all of division II - and the state -- not close.

Actually, both BA and MBA are close - very close - too close for my taste!    :huh:

Edited by RedRobin1

I had not planned on posting again this year.  I am sick and tired of the seemingly endless hateful BS spawned yet another year by an EHS-BA game.  But I wanted to answer the many who have questioned the MUS coach for NOT running the ball late in the game.

Ahead 10-0 late in the 3rd quarter and already in easy FG range for Wunderlich around the 12 yd line, MUS had to have felt that one more TD would put the game out of reach at 17-0.  After their opening drive, the Owls were averaging about ONE yd per rushing attempt.  That's not going to get you into the end zone.  The pass was under thrown, intercepted at the goal line and run out to the 35.  The incredulous 4th quarter is history.

MUS had ZERO rushing game.  Their only runner Wright was a skinny WR-DB recently converted to RB only because their star (guaranteed Mr. Football finalist next year) RB Colton Neel was out AND their other RB Bradburn was also out.  They are both Juniors and assuming they will be back next year at full strength, you will realize in 2014 the magnitude of this loss. Wright is 5-9 155 lbs soaking wet as they say. 

Yet having said that, with the benefit of hindsight, I too would have liked to have seen a few rushing attempts to keep the Ensworth defense "honest" and to run off at least a little time.  After all, MUS had arguably the best punter in the state if they were stopped.  Every play it became more obvious that MUS was not going to run the ball, Ensworth went more all out at the QB.  We all saw what happened. 

The MUS coach (Alston) gambled and lost.  It is grossly unfair to make comments like "Is this his 1st game?"  MUS had amply demonstrated the quality of their coaching staff by what they did to a bigger, stronger, arguably more talented and athletic team for 3 quarters.

Owl - thanks for the post.  I have a lot of respect for the MUS program, MUS kids and your posts.  MUS played the best game this year against EHS.  They held #10 in check and had him at half his usual rushing average at the end of the first half and the MUS defensive front handled the EHS line better than any team this year.  

There were a number of EHS fans that felt that if MUS scored and goes to 17-0 the game was effectively over.  Clearly your coach knew what he was doing and the plan came very close to working.  From my view point - MUS at full strength and this game could have very easily gone the other way.  Looking forward to next year. 

Congratulations to the Owls on a great season.

Thanks to all of you for your kind posts.

Assuming that BA will reciprocate by starting the 2014 season at MUS, we should, unlike this year,  have a blockbuster competitive game to start next season.  MUS has an excellent returning nucleus of starters and a very athletic dual threat QB waiting to take over.  Their offense should be formidable if the new QB lives up to expectations.  It seems like every year Owl fans worry about the defense and every year Alston et al seemingly work miracles.