Why is a private school like GP not playing CPA?

UCSportsFan

Typically, teams don't play home & home non-district games.  GP plays Lipscomb home & home because it's a rivalry that has been played that way for a ton of years.  GP probably scheduled a Cookeville road game to get ready for the weeknight plane flights to RBS & TC coming up.  There are some college teams that would dodge playing CPA.  Not saying GP would beat CPA, but I think it would be a great game and would be a measuring stick of where the GP team is this year.  CPA knows they're the best in the state.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically, teams don't play home & home non-district games.  GP plays Lipscomb home & home because it's a rivalry that has been played that way for a ton of years.  GP probably scheduled a Cookeville road game to get ready for the weeknight plane flights to RBS & TC coming up.  There are some college teams that would dodge playing CPA.  Not saying GP would beat CPA, but I think it would be a great game and would be a measuring stick of where the GP team is this year.  CPA knows they're the best in the state.

I agree it would be a great game and if i was a fan of GP i would much rather watch that then coming all the way to Cookeville to play. GP is the favorite in Class A and will remain that way as long as they are allowed to play down.

According to the CPA faithful  GP is dodging them.  Why would you schedule a game all the way out here in Cookeville instead of CPA?  Wouldn't it make more sense to play CPA?  The gate would undoubtedly be much better as Cookeville doesn't even bring a crowd to Jackson County.  Why would you not do a home and home with them every year?  That just doesn't make sense to me.. unless you just want to pad the winning percentages.

I don't think Coach Sonn would dodge playing anybody.  I think he is willing to play any team.  From what I have seen of him he is a top-notch coach.

No disrespect to GP but CPA has simply outpaced them in the major sports and they won't play us anymore. They are still play in other sports and GP is great in volleyball and baseball. Lipscomb won't play CPA either

I agree with your assessment of GP. I know a few parents there and from my understanding they feel it will be status quo for 3 years, especially for FB. They are very happy with the new BB coach and he will be there as long as he wants. In 3 years they said GP will go d2 with every other private, at that time the football program will be overhauled top to bottom, if GP gets the kids from maple wood and hunters lane, watch out in FB and BB.

When you have a good players you have to be very selective in your non league games. This year we (Mitchell) only had 4 non- league games (Hamilton twice, Bolivar, and Whitehaven) that was not apart of a classic or tournament. It was hard for me to turn down a loaded King of the Blue Grass, and classics that had us playing teams like CPA, Jackson Southside, and Atlanta Columbus. That narrowed our ability to schedule many local non-league games. CPA is a well known team with high profile players. They are allowing their players a chance to play against great completion.

Edited by Galilee

I agree it would be a great game and if i was a fan of GP i would much rather watch that then coming all the way to Cookeville to play. GP is the favorite in Class A and will remain that way as long as they are allowed to play down.

Didn't everyone say GP was the favorite in football as well when they dropped down before the season? That didn't go to well.  :popcorneater:

Didn't everyone say GP was the favorite in football as well when they dropped down before the season? That didn't go to well.  :popcorneater:

No i said they "should:" be and they should be since they are a private 2A school playing in 1A.  What in the world was TSSAA thinking when they made this ignorant rule up?  Why even have a multiplier if you ar