Before the AP Polls come out.............................

icouldbeanyone

Roughly at the mid point of the season for most of the teams across the state and I thought it would be interesting to take a stab at the rankings before the AP polls come out in January. This is just my opinion and I have seen some of these teams but of course not all (not that different than the AP voters LOL so some of this is just what I've heard or using past performance) so please feel free to disagree or agree and post your own. Of course, the records are just the games reported on CoachT.

Class A Top Ten

1.         Union City                 14-0

2.         Houston Co.               11-0

3.         Clarkrange                11-2

4.         Meigs Co.                   13-1

5.         Middleton                   11-2

6.         Jackson Co.               11-2

7.         Gibson Co.                 11-1

8.         South Greene             12-3

9.         Community                11-2

10.       Huntingdon                11-0

On the bubble: Oakhaven 4-0, Cloudland 11-2, Collinwood 6-3

Class AA Top Ten

1.         Grainger                    10-2

2.         Elizabethton               10-1

3.         Obion Co.                   11-1

4.         Cannon Co.               15-1

5.         Smith Co.                   10-2

6.         Creekwood                11-1

7.         Dyersburg                  11-3

8.         Gatlinburg-Pittman  14-3

9.         Fulton                         9-2

10.       Covington                  7-5

On the bubble: McMinn Central 7-5, Martin Luther King 6-1, Sequatchie Co. 12-4

Class AAA Top Ten

1.         Blackman                   12-0

2.         Science Hill                 15-0

3.         Riverdale                    10-2

4.         Columbia                   10-3

5.         Bearden                      10-1

6.         Memphis Hamilton    7-0

7.         Brentwood                 10-0

8.         Oakland                     11-2

9.         Cumberland Co.       12-0

10.       Mt. Juliet                    8-1

On the bubble: Heritage 14-1, Farragut 10-1, Dyer Co. 11-1, Memphis Overton 5-1, Morristown West 11-2

• Upvote 1

Oh really? I know you know your Blue Devils...who on the list do you think is ahead of them at the moment?

I was being a bit sarcastic. Polls are just for people to speculate. UC has a solid squad and this may be the year they challenge JC but i doubt it they still can't shoot above the foul line. Clarkrange is legit, Houston Co. plays such a weak schedule who knows how good they are but i have heard they are a good team.

Edited by devilfanatic

I was being sarcastic, the only team that will give them much of a game is Clarkrange. UC cannot beat Jackson County, and until they prove on the floor they can even compete with them there is no way you can put them ahead of us. Houston Co. has a nice squad this year but their schedule is so soft it will cost them in the end. Don't know anything about Meigs Co. but realistically they shouldn't be able to beat a JC or a Clarkrange. Middleton is not even in the conversation, they would be considered a bye if we drew them in the first round of the tourney. No disrespect because they have a lot of athletes but they won't seriously challenge this year. District 7A will take home the gold again this year yet again.

Yeah you are probably right about Middleton, thought about that as soon as I looked at it again. Meigs is pretty good I think. I've heard alot about Houston Co. this year.

Devilantic,they can make that shot now.Not saying they will win it all but they get their best player back and Reeves who is playing now.Reeves tore her ACL in the substate.Makenzie,I might have spelled it wrong gave UC problems because they couldn't make that shot. They can stick that shot now.Since Makenzie is gone,do they have anyone else in the post that can guard them.Jackson Co is the champs,so until someone beats them,they are the best in 1A.

Devilantic,they can make that shot now.Not saying they will win it all but they get their best player back and Reeves who is playing now.Reeves tore her ACL in the substate.Makenzie,I might have spelled it wrong gave UC problems because they couldn't make that shot. They can stick that shot now.Since Makenzie is gone,do they have anyone else in the post that can guard them.Jackson Co is the champs,so until someone beats them,they are the best in 1A.

Jackson County guards the post by committee now. Makenzie's size is missed for sure but they are still very good defensively. Clarkrange will be greatly improved from last year and they will be as big a team as we face the rest of the year. This UC team will have a better chance of beating JC but Jaycee Coe is hard to guard and if the rest of the girls are on then they can score in bunches. Losing our point guard has hurt no doubt and because of that i don't feel we are the favorites to win it this year but it wil take a good team to beat them. As we all know its hard to shoot in Murphy Center just a total different atmosphere and not having anything behind the back board does influence the outside shot. Should be a fun tournament!

Roughly at the mid point of the season for most of the teams across the state and I thought it would be interesting to take a stab at the rankings before the AP polls come out in January. This is just my opinion and I have seen some of these teams but of course not all (not that different than the AP voters LOL so some of this is just what I've heard or using past performance) so please feel free to disagree or agree and post your own. Of course, the records are just the games reported on CoachT.

Good to see Meigs reappearing in the poles. Wouldnt want to play Cannon right now in AA but would really not want to play them in substate. In AAA poll looks good and a shout out to Cumberland county girls. They are a team who the next few years should be very solid. The coaches at South Cumberland are doing a great job on the middle school level as well. Looking forward to the substate and state. Good luck and Merry Christmas to all.

Class A Top Ten

1. Union City 14-0

2. Houston Co. 11-0

3. Clarkrange 11-2

4. Meigs Co. 13-1

5. Middleton 11-2

6. Jackson Co. 11-2

7. Gibson Co. 11-1

8. South Greene 12-3

9. Community 11-2

10. Huntingdon 11-0

On the bubble: Oakhaven 4-0, Cloudland 11-2, Collinwood 6-3

Class AA Top Ten

1. Grainger 10-2

2. Elizabethton 10-1

3. Obion Co. 11-1

4. Cannon Co. 15-1

5. Smith Co. 10-2

6. Creekwood 11-1

7. Dyersburg 11-3

8. Gatlinburg-Pittman 14-3

9. Fulton 9-2

10. Covington 7-5

On the bubble: McMinn Central 7-5, Martin Luther King 6-1, Sequatchie Co. 12-4

Class AAA Top Ten

1. Blackman 12-0

2. Science Hill 15-0

3. Riverdale 10-2

4. Columbia 10-3

5. Bearden 10-1

6. Memphis Hamilton 7-0

7. Brentwood 10-0

8. Oakland 11-2

9. Cumberland Co. 12-0

10. Mt. Juliet 8-1

On the bubble: Heritage 14-1, Farragut 10-1, Dyer Co. 11-1, Memphis Overton 5-1, Morristown West 11-2

Jackson County guards the post by committee now. Makenzie's size is missed for sure but they are still very good defensively. Clarkrange will be greatly improved from last year and they will be as big a team as we face the rest of the year. This UC team will have a better chance of beating JC but Jaycee Coe is hard to guard and if the rest of the girls are on then they can score in bunches. Losing our point guard has hurt no doubt and because of that i don't feel we are the favorites to win it this year but it wil take a good team to beat them. As we all know its hard to shoot in Murphy Center just a total different atmosphere and not having anything behind the back board does influence the outside shot. Should be a fun tournament!

IMHO CCHS had the pattern to follow to beat CR this year. Pressure them, and attack CR's bigs by slashing to the basket. You need some speed and length on the wings defensively to give CR's wings trouble and to bother the entry passes. If you let their bigs get good position and a decent entry they will kill you, if you double down hard, then they shoot well on the kick out. CCHS disrupted a ton of those passes both ways, messed up CR's rhythm which sure helped the cause. CCHS also had enough depth that foul trouble wasn't a huge issue.

Honestly 4 of CRs top 5 players are very, very good. The only "weakness" I really saw was at point (and she is a good player). CCHS really rattled her (as they have many guards this year), and I thought that CR's guards off the bench were actually better, but not seniors.

CCHS doesn't have one girl that is just better than CR every night, but their cumulative pressure both offensively, and shooting and slashing was just enough to beat them that night. Although CR's big freshman girl still had 29 IIRC.

I wish I didn't have a game to attend on Jan 10th (My Panthers vs Warriors) JC @ CR should be a fun one to go watch.