D1 vs D2

rlwest40

No way,  CBHS nor McCallie were ever even in the top 4 in their Region9S) (Memphis & Chattanooga) until after the split. 

It is not a knock on any team.  Just the fact that when you have to wrestle 5 matches in a tournament when anyone is capable of beating you.  Good wrestlers always got upset...even in the Regions and did not even qualify for the state. When it was a "carry tournament" if you had one bad match or "got caught",  youe went home.  I remember in the early 80's there was a kid from Nashville (Overton or McGavock)  that was the # 1 kid in the state and got pinned  by a kid from MBA in the Regional and then that kid got beat... so the #1 kid was eliminated and did not even qualify for the state (carry tournaments can be brutal). 

The only reason I remember this is there was a big controversy on wheatear the MBA kid threw the match so the #1 kid would not get to go to state.  I think a Baylor kid did won the weigh class but had been beat soundly by the kid in the dual that didn't even qualify.

I find in funny TD2 that you say public schools would do better due to the past when it was combined if you look at whose producing and more successful college wrestlers it's hands down D2 today

D2 has had some very accomplished wrestlers in high school and in college, no doubt about it. I would never criticize their accomplishments.

However, a lot can contribute to whether a student wrestles in college, a lot of times opportunity and finances are the major deciding factor. Its possible that in many cases D2 athletes had more opportunities and financial support than some of the rural D1 athletes who were just as capable. It is mostly a pay to play sport at the college level with a few exceptions of partial scholarships. Out-of-state D1 universities can be very expensive even on a partials, unless you're already used to paying out ten$ of thousands a year for high school.

Just saying, I think both D1 and D2 has had plenty of talent over the years that could have been successful in D1 college but there's more to consider like economics. How many D2 students are wrestling in college on their parents' dime with little to no scholarship? How many D1 athletes had the chance to without or even with the aid of partials but still couldn't take advantage of the opportunity due to financial burdens? I've seen some talented D1 wrestlers at UTC and several other colleges over the years who had to drop out for reasons similar to this.

Edited by rlwest40

Being that the gap it's much wider in the upper weights, I give it to D1 this year, providing the lower weights keep their 5 losses at decisions with the exception of 113, 120 & 138 (Maj, TF & one pin)*

Ready? How bout - 29-27 D1 with a Popp win (pin)... Very interesting match if started at 106!!! And with a score of 23-4 favoring D2 at the 138 buzzer and an obvious change of momentum from there 

*Note: Murphy @ 113, Oliver 120 & Robinson at 138 

Back to topic,,, over the past ten years, D2 wins 6 out of 10 including 2014 & their upcoming mythical loss

Which is it, first you pick D1 now its D2?

Edited by rlwest40