D1 vs D2

rlwest40

All of this talk about an additional tournament where the state champions from each division compete against each other is great.  However, why not just save yourself some money and trouble and put all divisions back together and have a true state championship individual tournament? Go back to the old district, region & a 32 man bracket state tournament bracket.  The only reason not to do this is someone is worried that their "LITTLE JOHNNY" may not win a state championship.  I can see where having divisions for the dual state championships may help grow the sport of wrestling but having 3 individual state wrestling tournaments does nothing but water down the talent level. 

What you are proposing has been tried in other states and the results were not good.  Oklahoma stopped doing this because the wrestlers did not want to add an additional week to the season.  The wrestlers would not attend the combined tournament of state champions. 

All of this talk about an additional tournament where the state champions from each division compete against each other is great.  However, why not just save yourself some money and trouble and put all divisions back together and have a true state championship individual tournament? Go back to the old district, region & a 32 man bracket state tournament bracket.  The only reason not to do this is someone is worried that their "LITTLE JOHNNY" may not win a state championship.  I can see where having divisions for the dual state championships may help grow the sport of wrestling but having 3 individual state wrestling tournaments does nothing but water down the talent level. 

What you are proposing has been tried in other states and the results were not good.  Oklahoma stopped doing this because the wrestlers did not want to add an additional week to the season.  The wrestlers would not attend the combined tournament of state champions. 

AMEN BROTHER !  More state placers will not build the sport.  I remember watching

D2 guys who never placed at any tournament going to state while other D1 wrestlers

who have placed stayed home. 

Doug Newman was talking this past weekend about how Middle Tennessee had a 44 team region back in the 80's & 90's.  The top four place winners in each weight division would advance to the combined individual state tournament.  It forced the wrestlers from Middle Tennessee to raise their talent level and got them ready to win state championships. 

Being that the gap it's much wider in the upper weights, I give it to D1 this year, providing the lower weights keep their 5 losses at decisions with the exception of 113, 120 & 138 (Maj, TF & one pin)*

Ready? How bout - 29-27 D1 with a Popp win (pin)... Very interesting match if started at 106!!! And with a score of 23-4 favoring D2 at the 138 buzzer and an obvious change of momentum from there 

*Note: Murphy @ 113, Oliver 120 & Robinson at 138 

It will never happen! 

It has been brought up in the past.  DII schools will not go back to having only a couple of state place winners every year like it used to be. Having 14  kids qualify for the state tournament helps them from a financial stand point and makes parents happy.   

Think back when the state tournament was dominated by Overton, Cleveland, McGavock, Franklin, Bradley, Central, East Ridge, and Hixson.  McCallie and Ryan were never on the map until the split and usually only  had 3 or 4 kids even qualify for the state tournament. 

You had to place in the top four in your district to make it to the Region and then place in the top four in the region to make it to the State tournament.  Only 4 kids placed in the state.  You also only had 12 weight classes...so you only had 12 state champs and 48 total place winners.  Now you'll have 42 state champs,  and 252 state placers. 

Think about that...48 total place winners before and 252 NOW.   More state place winners then there were Regional place winners in the past.  Prior to the split only 192 kids even qualified  for the state and now you have 252 "ALL-State"

Sure Baylor had some tough teams,  but when the tougher kids were knocking each "other off", you had to wrestle every match and everyone you wrestled in your bracket was tough,  it was hard for them to compete with even East Ridge & Hixson (small school division).

Wish it would happen but it won't!

I agree with Mr West. Only change might be a toss up at 132 if Robinson or Connell drops to 132. Would love to see either of them and Austin Stevison. I believe Ryan Parker has certified at 170 as well as 182. If he were at 170, I would give him the nod. Don't hold me to him being certified at 170 but want to say he did.