AA State Tourney Teams-Midseason Guess

sportsnerd

Let's have some fun! Who will be the 8 in AA in Murfreesboro? Here's the "Nerds" picks. Don't get mad - it's just my opinion and a guess. What say ye? Region 1/2 - Elizabethton / Gat. Pitt.Region 3/4 - Tyner / McMinn CentralRegion 5/6 - Cheatham Cty. / CPARegion 7/8 - Southside / Haywood

I don't know anything about Elizabethton but I would pick Fulton or Alcoa ahead of G-P. Edited by QSouth89

Region 1 hasn't sent team to state in long time. Maybe elizabethton can change that. If I were betting, hard to go against Fulton whose only district losses came when they were winning 2nd straight title in football. Other one is probably toss up ... but Alcoa is 4-0 in district play so look for them to meet Fulton for that region 2 title if guessing today. Those two teams have played very tough schedules and if past history is any indication the East Tennessee AA teams that have had good success against top teams usually beat the AA teams who have more wins against a much easier schedule once tournament time gets here and those records are only good for a district seed.

You are probably right. I saw the GP win over Fulton earlier in the year and didn't notice it was the day after the football championship. I still like AE over Alcoa. Still going to stick with Betsy, though even though history would say Region 1 tends to be weak. My new Top 8:

Region 1/2 - Elizabethton / Fulton

Region 3/4 - Tyner  / McMinn Central

Region 5/6 - Cheatham Cty. / CPA

Region 7/8 - Southside / Haywood

That what they said when I predicted the cascade game a few weeks back "CPA beats cascade by at least 20 but realistically it will be by 30 or 40 with the starters resting in the 4th". Basketball is about match ups not records. Can you give me one advantage CC has over CPA because I can't think of one

I picked CPA would win by 50+ too if you remember.  Cascade is an impressive win but let's not get carried away now.  The Cubs beat Cascade by 20 last year in the Watertown Christmas Tournament and played very "flat" in the game.  The next night the Cubs beat Watertown by 50 in the same tourney. 

I never said Cheatham was "better" than CPA as a team.  I simply said that Cheatham's starting five was better overall.  Cheatham doesn't go very deep on the bench and if they are in a situation where 1-2-3 get in foul trouble then they will be in trouble. 

1 through 5 though I'd take the Cubs over your beloved CPA team.  Sorry if that stings.

CPA, Southside, and Haywood!!! Everybody else is just wishing!!!! Just my thought!!! :popcorneater: 

The polls today had:

1.)  CPA

2.)  Haywood

3.)  Jackson South Side (tie)

3.)  Cheatham County (tie)

If the state could make these 4 teams not meet until the semifinal round of the state tourney it would be an awesome day of Class AA basketball. 

I picked CPA would win by 50+ too if you remember.  Cascade is an impressive win but let's not get carried away now.  The Cubs beat Cascade by 20 last year in the Watertown Christmas Tournament and played very "flat" in the game.  The next night the Cubs beat Watertown by 50 in the same tourney. 

I never said Cheatham was "better" than CPA as a team.  I simply said that Cheatham's starting five was better overall.  Cheatham doesn't go very deep on the bench and if they are in a situation where 1-2-3 get in foul trouble then they will be in trouble. 

1 through 5 though I'd take the Cubs over your beloved CPA team.  Sorry if that stings.

My beloved CPA team huh, you have no idea what your talking about I do not like CPA or what there programm stands for.I would much rather see cheatham beat CPA then the other way around but it is wishful thinking. I've seen both teams play this year. Cheatham dosent have the talent. I'm sorry if that stings. With that said 1. What dose last years game have to do with this year? 2. cheatham starting five over all or individually are not better then CPAs starters please explain that? 3. To say cheatham has no bench is a understatment, there 4 top players score 88% of the teams points the 5th leading score avg less the 3 ppg.

You are probably right. I saw the GP win over Fulton earlier in the year and didn't notice it was the day after the football championship. I still like AE over Alcoa. Still going to stick with Betsy, though even though history would say Region 1 tends to be weak. My new Top 8:

Region 1/2 - Elizabethton / Fulton

Region 3/4 - Tyner / McMinn Central

Region 5/6 - Cheatham Cty. / CPA

Region 7/8 - Southside / Haywood

Keep dreaming about GP,AE and Betsy. If 1 of those make it I'll be totally shock .. History tells us Fulton will there... Alcoa has 2 matchups against them in the regular season left and one with McMinn central we will see where they stand. Alcoa beat stone (who should be at state), Maryville 2 times at Maryville (who should have a good shot at state).

You didn't feel like alcoa was strong enough during football either ( how did that work out??)

Gp is like what 20-2. Man I bet they are just awesome... Records mean squat.. Basketball is a tournament sport. Ask the Memphis teams who come into state most the time with a little above 500 record and walk to the championship.

The top 4 teams in double a look to be on course for the Boro. Can't wait see y'all there

Keep dreaming about GP,AE and Betsy. If 1 of those make it I'll be totally shock .. History tells us Fulton will there... Alcoa has 2 matchups against them in the regular season left and one with McMinn central we will see where they stand. Alcoa beat stone (who should be at state), Maryville 2 times at Maryville (who should have a good shot at state).

You didn't feel like alcoa was strong enough during football either ( how did that work out??)

Gp is like what 20-2. Man I bet they are just awesome... Records mean squat.. Basketball is a tournament sport. Ask the Memphis teams who come into state most the time with a little above 500 record and walk to the championship.

The top 4 teams in double a look to be on course for the Boro. Can't wait see y'all there

First of all, this thread was started for fun and was totally opinionated, meaning I admit it may not be right. You do understand the word "opinion" don't you?

I agree about records to a certain extent, but rarely does a team win the state with a barely 500 record. Can you give a few examples or are you just throwing stuff out there? I do agree a 20-2 record in most regions, especially Memphis, means more than a 20-2 record in Region 1.

Second, I NEVER said Alcoa was not strong enough in football. All I ever said was that halfway through the season I would not have ranked them #1 based on the results and SOS at that point. I also said rankings mean nothing and if they turn out the best, it will be proven. It was. I also picked them to beat CPA before the playoffs began - you can go back and read the posts. I went 26-5 in my playoff picks and correctly picked Alcoa over CPA in the finals.