Officiating

BigDaddy_1

Officiating over the last couple of years has gotten worse. Most of the good older officials are having trouble keeping up with the speed of the game. I am seeing a lot of older officials who are continually out of position. You can't be fat and old and be a decent official.

Many of the younger officials are complete power tripping wanna be's. I have seen many in the last year or two refuse to talk to coaches at all. A lot of them are obviously not athletic, and I have seen way too many who call walks on anything that looks athletic, while not noticing things like the pivot foot, and the fact that many kids don't use one.

Still see officials who don't really understand simple rules like over/back, and the 3 second rule. Saw a 3 second call a week or so ago where a kid drove to the basket, shot, rebounded like 4 times. He got called for 3 seconds.....

As for being paid pretty well, well yeah they are. I don't see many people spending 25-30 in gas to drive, but if they do then ok Most make $125-$150 for a pair of games. Minus your theoretical $25 for gas and you come up with 75-100 for 3 hours worth of work. So $25-33/hour. Not bad, most people would take that.

I can't believe some DA would think a game is only 3 hrs. work and 25 to 30 dollars an hour. You could make ESPN's "come on man". TSSAA requires officials to be at game cite at least one hour before game. Every official must pay to register with TSSAA for each sport. Then the official must pay association dues he or she joins. Also the next expense is uniforms and shoes. These will run from $250 to $600 per season. Now an official has got this far they are required to travel and work scrimmages, jamborees, and camps for free.

All the official haters out there imagine what athletics would be like without officials. Decisions would be up to parents and fans. "COME ON MAN"

I can't believe some DA would think a game is only 3 hrs. work and 25 to 30 dollars an hour. You could make ESPN's "come on man". TSSAA requires officials to be at game cite at least one hour before game. Every official must pay to register with TSSAA for each sport. Then the official must pay association dues he or she joins. Also the next expense is uniforms and shoes. These will run from $250 to $600 per season. Now an official has got this far they are required to travel and work scrimmages, jamborees, and camps for free.

All the official haters out there imagine what athletics would be like without officials. Decisions would be up to parents and fans. "COME ON MAN"

I spend quite a lot of time in both HS and MS gyms, and honestly I can't believe some DA would come on here and try to say that officials are there one hour before game. I don't care what the TSSAA requires the only time officials are there 1 hour before the start of a varsity game is when they are there for a JV or freshman game earlier. At least 1 is usually there 30 min before but I can't remember the last time I even saw all 3 there that early. And as for MS officials, most are not there even 20 minutes before tip.

You can blow smoke all you want, but if anyone needs to hear from Chris Carter it's you.

Wow someone who spends a lot of time in MS an HS gyms. We are hearing from the top of the mountain, the burning bush of officials. I feel so humbled to be in this presence. When you spend 40 years in coaching, officiating, and athletics maybe you will know. Until then SHUTUP.

I have spent the majority of my life in the gym, between playing, coaching, training, even officiating at the MS level for a couple of years about 20yrs ago. Been around the block plenty, and I call it like I see it. You don't like it, well get over it. Pull up you big boy underwear and grow up.

First off, there's no tssaa requirements to be at games an hour early. "They request", u be there 30 minutes early to per game with the crew. A lot of times the three will meet and ride together and do pre game during travel, so they get there 15-20 minutes before game.

Second, 250-600 for uniforms? Not hardly. There are many websites where u can buy a starter package for 125.00. If you need a varsity jacket? Add another 50.00. Tssaa fee is 35.00 and most associations are 35.00 or less.

Next, all officials take an open book test that requires a 70% correct to get your license. Then, if u miss it, they help u get to the 70%, so they can get your dues. When your ready to do varsity you take another test that is closed book. So, that means u can be wrong 3-out of 10 calls to do middle school and freshman / Jv games. That's a lot of bad calls!!!

Finally, the problem with reffing right now is the buddy system at the association levels. They bring in a friend and put him doing varsity the first year, and have guys there still doing Jv after 10 years. They also never turn in the films and complaints to the tssaa. They keep them in house and tell AD's and coaches they took care of it. Lol.

Officiating is at an all time low. The worst I've ever seen and I've seen a lot. So u can try to justify it but it's simply 80% of incompatant! power hungry! bobs !!!

• Upvote 1

WOW glad you did not spend majority of your life around a hospital you may think you are a heart or brain surgeon. Maybe you stayed at a Holiday Inn. Officiating on MS level for couple years VERY IMPRESSIVE

Wow, that is the best you got?????? Bet even the other officials don't want to admit to knowing you.....