District 5AAA girls tournament

blitzinbuc

Cumberland County always had nice facilities capable of holding the tourney, but way too far to travel. Needs to be some kind of policy that you must have TWO sides of the gym large enough to seat the crowd that comes to these finals. Walker Valley, EHS, nor Cleveland have facilities to do that. Gosh, I remember the nightmare of seating in the dome in 2003.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cumberland County always had nice facilities capable of holding the tourney, but way too far to travel. Needs to be some kind of policy that you must have TWO sides of the gym large enough to seat the crowd that comes to these finals. Walker Valley, EHS, nor Cleveland have facilities to do that. Gosh, I remember the nightmare of seating in the dome in 2003.

What surprises me is that WV (10 years old?) didn't build a bigger gym??? McMinn County's (which I consider the best due to seating capacity, floor length beyond the backboards, hallway/foyer size, and parking) was built 35 years ago and they had the foresight to build BIG. I hate Cleveland's undersized gym and parking. Ooltewah's new gym is adequate but most of their parking is too far away if the weather is inclement.

What surprises me is that WV (10 years old?) didn't build a bigger gym??? McMinn County's (which I consider the best due to seating capacity, floor length beyond the backboards, hallway/foyer size, and parking) was built 35 years ago and they had the foresight to build BIG. I hate Cleveland's undersized gym and parking. Ooltewah's new gym is adequate but most of their parking is too far away if the weather is inclement.

McMinn County has the best facility in District 5-AAA based on capacity, parking and having plenty of room around the playing floor to benefit players and fans. Bradley Central is 2nd best with the biggest complaint being not enough space around the playing surface. The dome at Cleveland is doomed and has been a problem since day 1 with seating and the structure itself. They have refitted the support system within the last 10 years and it's till not safe I guess. Anybody remember that it was closed this year when the engineers said that a '3" snow could collapse the dome??? (I had 8 inches at my house within 5 miles of there and it looks like it's still standing to me.) But I digress with my rating. East Hamilton has the 3rd best with roominess and seating capacity. Ooltewah has a nice layout but is too small, Soddy-Daisy is the same size as Ooltewah but seems like it takes forever to get there from anywhere. And what can you say about Walker Valley? Even some of their most loyal fans hate it. Terrible one-sided seating with a small capacity, players and fans almost sitting with their feet on the court, etc.

And don't get me started on District 6-AAA. Haven't been to Stone Memorial yet so I can't comment on their facilities but none of the schools that I have visited on numerous occasions stand out in a good sense like MCHS and BCHS in District 5-AAA. Unless it could be Stone Memorial which I'll withhold judgement on until I visit there. But it is beyond ridiculous when you have two districts in the same region with each district being in a different time zone (except for Rhea County). This is a TSSAA problem that needs to be resolved. It absolutely kills the attendance on school nights as well as week-ends but makes for a great radio audience. In 208 when Cumberland County hosted the District 5-AAA tourney, Cumberland County actually invoiced each school to make up for the losses suffered at the gate. My personal opinion is that you are the host and you must make up the difference if you want to host, else, you pass to the next school in line. But, hey, no one asked me my opinion so I'll just keep going to watch my team and complain like I always do.

Walker Valley's gym is an embarrassment to District 5AAA.  Visitors side only has about 5 rows, and the upper deck on the home side has only a view of the farthest 2/3 of the court.  If there is action on the closest 1/3 of the court, you can't even see the action from the upper deck.  The engineers who designed that and the 'powers that be' at the school and the Bradley County School Board should be embarrassed.  The rest of the school is really nice, but they dropped the ball big-time on the gym.

They gym probably works for most normally-attended home games, but is inadequate for the Cleveland and Bradley home games (the only ones I usually go to), and certainly inadequate for a District or Region Tournament.  They should never be allowed to host. Probably not fair to the kids, but unfortunately, somebody really messed up.

Every school in the district should have the opportunity to host the tournament if they meet the TSSAA guidelines. Why should only a few schools get home court advantage?

As for Cumberland County losing money when they hosted, that is not their fault. Why should they have to travel every year? All the schools in the Bradley area only had to make that trip once a year while CCHS made the trip down several times a season. The fans should not complain about one weeks worth of travel to support their schools.

I never complained about coming to Cumberland County. I came many times from 2001-2006 with my daughter and son. Absolutely loved Cumberlands coaching staffs, especially girls. We were always treated good there.. (Except for the one time the girls beat us..haha). I always felt it was unfair for all the many years that CCHS had to travel so far.