No Champions photo or program

karelin

First time in over 50 years no photo was taken of champs, also no program with Tn wrestling history printed. Is it the money? Being a traditionalist I find this omission simply one more questionable decision made by the TSSAA. I sure miss the McClellan/McKenzie era.

Suggestions-

-Move the girls to the State Duals weekend

-Use the Ag Center for State Duals only!!!!!!!!!

-Please find a suitable site worthy of the 1-A-AA, 1-AAA, and D-2 tournaments (anywhere other than the present site)

sad truth (like last year) the TSSAA will simply ignore the outcries, and let it die out as we move onto Spring sports

• Upvote 1

Its a shame people who make the decisions don't get input from those who have the knowledge of the history and traditions of wrestling in Tennessee. 

Why did they change the awards presentation from the end of the tournament to in between matches anyways?

Edited by csemary

Coach...This argument seems to be picking up a lot more steam...and when a legend like you speaks people will listen...Reichel is forming a chat group on Facebook...I think seriously issues need to be addressed...I feel if we can get you Henry, Miller, and some of the others on board then surely the state Will listen...

Lee Varnell

Wrestler4life

I bought a paper today to see all the state champs and for the first time in my life there wasnt a picture. I wondered why not. They didnt announce the names, credentials, or anything. How can one announcer announce the winners and then try and keep up with the matches? My friends bought the online package to watch because they refuse to go to the cow palace after not missing a state tournament in 25 years they are now done with it. They said they were announcing one mat only on the online matches. So you might be watching d2 but they were announcing a/aa and vice versa. Can they not get announcers for each division online? Its truly sad that our kids cant get the best possible experience.  

No showers is a viable reason to change venues.

They expect us to come prepared in order to avoid exposure to open and untreated wounds, cold sores, ringworm, but not provide the facilities to help prevent these issues?

Just a thought... Imagine a split lip at a basketball game, boxing match, or a football game being an issue at any level. Not contagious there, right? No showers, unacceptable of course for reasons perhaps sanitary.... No such thing as smash mouth football (conrad dobler/dick butkus) or a physical pick or elbow swinging rebound (Danny Ainge/The Worm/Laimbeer/Salley) or Mike the biter Tyson. Those are professional athletes listed, but we know there's many wannabe little ones getting exposed to these same infectious skin problems in other sports,,,, they all get proper facilities to help guard against it whether it develops before during or after competition. Double standards to me.

It was the goal of most young wrestlers many years ago to not only win a state championship but to have a photograph of yourself and all the state champions placed on the cover of the state wrestling tournament program. Inside the program would list ALL past state champions with the weight class and year they won the championship, best match award winners and outstanding wrestler award winners. The program would also include all team championships and the head coach of that team. Wrestling has a rich and proud history in Tennessee and those that helped write the history should be recognized each and every year. I can't recall how many times I have witnessed a former state champion take a quick glance to make sure his name was still included in the program (like someone would take it out) or a young child be reading the program and point out to his friends that his father, uncle, brother or cousin was in the program.

With regard to no shower facilities being available at the TSSAA state wrestling tournament this has been pointed out many times starting with the first state tournament. I am of the opinion that with the skin disease issues that have become prevalent in wrestling, the TSSAA has no choice but to provide easy accessible showers to each and every competitor. Leading national physicians groups have preached hygiene and taking showers immediately after competition as the best way to prevent skin disease. It becomes difficult if not impossible to take a shower after each match when you don't have the proper facilities.

As far as photos you could order a CD, or dvd from Nfhs network who apparently failed to handle the broadcast adequately (there's only so many Danny Gilbert's if he even called it), infrastructure issues? But you could take shots from their DVD or whatever. Or call the tssaa

They didnt take pictures of all the finalist. It slipped their mind i guess just like reading the kids bios and accomplishments. wow!!!

Worst thing - having a kid unable to shower sit with mat burn and scratches all over who cant shower after consolations were done and we of course checked out of hotel by 11 - then told have to stay which of course we want but not without a shower.  Dang it wake up - you block those you catch with skin issues from wrestling then all the kids who dont get caught - (as they all wrestle each other all year and carry stuff) are left to go without showers!?  This need to be addressed seriously - with all the mat infections and then also at the freaking cow palace it is flat out wrong!

Second no opportunity to take podium photos are you serious TSSSAA?