REGION 5 AA.

NeWbLuE

Congrats to East Nashville for playing an excellent game and knocking off the only undefeated boys team remaining in the state. East came out hot and shot the ball very well, especially in the 1st half, as they built a 12 point lead in the 2nd quarter. Cheatham then went on a 17-2 run that bridged the 2nd and 3rd quarters to take a 43-40 lead two minutes into the 3rd before disaster struck. Darden was poked in the eye severely going for a rebound. Totally unintentional but he spent the next 10+ minutes on the bench trying to regain his vision. East took full advantage and crashed the offensive glass hard and got numerous 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities. The Cubs battled without their inside presence and 2nd leading scorer, but by the time Darden returned there was less than 4 minutes left and the damage had been done. Cubs had a chance in the final seconds to tie but couldn't. East is a really good basketball team and I wish them the best of luck against Cascade and hopefully beyond. Coach Fey does a great job there and I have a lot of respect for them after the battles that these two teams have waged over the past year. They are a class act and very talented. No way to say that it would have changed the outcome, but it is too bad that the Cubs were missing the services of a key player for such a long time in the 2nd half of such a big game.

The Cubs have to get over the disappointment of tonight quickly and prepare for the opportunity they will get on Monday. I know that going to CPA is a daunting task, but I guarantee that the Cubs will show up to play and will not be intimidated. See you Monday night and Go Cubs!!

Congrats to East Nashville for playing an excellent game and knocking off the only undefeated boys team remaining in the state. East came out hot and shot the ball very well, especially in the 1st half, as they built a 12 point lead in the 2nd quarter. Cheatham then went on a 17-2 run that bridged the 2nd and 3rd quarters to take a 43-40 lead two minutes into the 3rd before disaster struck. Darden was poked in the eye severely going for a rebound. Totally unintentional but he spent the next 10+ minutes on the bench trying to regain his vision. East took full advantage and crashed the offensive glass hard and got numerous 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities. The Cubs battled without their inside presence and 2nd leading scorer, but by the time Darden returned there was less than 4 minutes left and the damage had been done. Cubs had a chance in the final seconds to tie but couldn't. East is a really good basketball team and I wish them the best of luck against Cascade and hopefully beyond. Coach Fey does a great job there and I have a lot of respect for them after the battles that these two teams have waged over the past year. They are a class act and very talented. No way to say that it would have changed the outcome, but it is too bad that the Cubs were missing the services of a key player for such a long time in the 2nd half of such a big game.

The Cubs have to get over the disappointment of tonight quickly and prepare for the opportunity they will get on Monday. I know that going to CPA is a daunting task, but I guarantee that the Cubs will show up to play and will not be intimidated. See you Monday night and Go Cubs!!

Tough way to lose not having the team a full strength the whole game. Kind of like having a key player in foul trouble.  Love the CC sports community and we look forward to having you visit the Den. We know you will bring a great crowd and it will be a fun night. Anything can happen at this point, CPA will be ready as I know CC will. CPA trying to stay on track for a 3-peat, and CC trying for the biggest upset of the year. Lots at stake. FUN!

Honestly if you look at the teams CC matches up better with CPA than East. It was a great game a lot of athletics on both teams. If you were watching the game did you notice or was it just me there was not a lot of play calling, no pick and roles just up and down one on one REC ball. If any one of these teams are to beat CPA they will have to stop the pick and roll which Bonds runs very well. One thing about CPA the zone defense will be in effect no man to man from them. So CC coach better dust off all the zone offense plays he has and run them well. Cubs do have a chance because if any year to beat CPA this is the year. Which game is going to be the most interesting game CPA vs CC or EAST vs Cascade?

CPA will win by 25. Don't think people realize how good they are. Keep reading how East and CC match-up well against them, they don't.

CPA is the two-time defending state champs and haven't lost to a team from Tn in over 2 years. They are loaded with D1 signees and a big time sophomore prospect in Blackwell. There are very few teams in aa who have even a remote chance of matching up with them. Not to mention the fact that their reputation precedes them and many opponents are defeated before they step on the floor. They are the clear cut favorites to three-peat. However, there are some teams, such as Cheatham & East, who are capable on a given night of putting some pressure on the Lions and having an opportunity to pull off a shocker. There have been many upsets in basketball history that nobody thought possible until they happened. You may be right ecu, CPA could win by 25 on Monday and few would be surprised, but crazy things can happen in postseason basketball and the Cubs will not go into the Lion's Den and lay down-I guarantee that.

Edited by mumbletypeg

CPA will win by 25. Don't think people realize how good they are. Keep reading how East and CC match-up well against them, they don't.

If CPA win by 25 does that mean they beat everybody by 25 and win another state championship. Question if CC can force Braxton Bonds to beat them by scoring do they have a chance I mean just leave him wide open force him to attempt more than 10 field goals. On the other hand CPA coaching is too smart to allow that to happen but CC sixth man may be able to persuade him. CPA is good but not good as the past teams. 

Darden is the x-factor in this game, as he is one of the few who has the size, length, and athleticism to match up with Blackwell. Have to keep Bonds and Richard out of the paint and CAN NOT leave Allsmiller open on the perimeter. CPA has some big-time weapons and are tough to slow down. Cubs will need to be at their best to have a shot, but it is possible.

Edited by mumbletypeg

you say darden is x-factor, its true, but at same time I think thats the reason if they lose is cause he won't match blackwell. I hope he does though. For CC to win this game they have to have all players shooting on all cylinders and stop one of CPA's big 3.

Blackwell is a true standout. Not saying Darden will shut him down, but he has enough size and athleticism to bother him and make him work. Also have to limit turnovers and the easy points that result against the zone trap. Yes, Cubs will have to bring their a-game to have a shot.

• Upvote 1

I think the CPA-CC game will be more interesting than the East-Cascade game. I think that East will handle Cascade rather easily. CPA is the prohibitive favorite over CC but it wouldn't surprise me if that game is a really competitive one. I did not see the game, but I heard that Creekwood hung with CPA pretty well. CC is better than Creekwood, and while Creekwood has some really good guards, as other posters have noted, CC has someone who can at least play Blackwell heads up (which most teams at this level cannot do). 

The key for CC is to beat the press and protect the ball. I've seen CC play sloppy at times and if they do so Monday night they will get hammered. I look for a 10-15 point CPA win.