REGION 5 AA.

NeWbLuE

I also believe that CPA was without the services of a key player in that game (because the football team advanced all the way to the state semifinals that postseason).  I recall it being a 5-6 point game. 

CPA had 2 starters out that game including Mr. Basketball Craig Bradshaw who was recovering from a mild concussion sustained the game before. Poythress was the best player I have seen in 3 years of watching the current CPA senior group, but CPA would have won that game with Bradshaw playing.

I'm probably beating a dead horse here but the numbers cannot go without noting.  The Cheatham County Cubs have won in 75 out of 87 games that they have taken the floor the last three seasons.  It's incredible to witness the powerhouse that the Cubs basketball program has become when we discuss the "elite" teams in Class AA. 

With that having been said the Cubs know that advancing to the Class AA State Tournament is the goal.  Despite the 24-0 perfect season the Cubs are now in the same position as anyone else in Class AA.  The next game is "win or go home" and the pressure could not be bigger.  I have no doubt that Saunders, Harlan, and Darden know the importance of this one and will once again perform at a high level on the big stage. 

The Cheatham County Cubs are very good but if they were to compete in a harder district it would be more L then wins. If Jacob Saunders did not show up they would have lost. He blast MLK for 36 pt and they only won by 3, the week before that East pound MLK by like 50 points. For a team with a record like you stated MLK should have been a walk in the park. Give Drew and CPA credit he always made sure they played top notch teams to keep their edge. The Cheatham County Cubs have not played any top notch teams and the East win was questionable due to missing football players. Now J.Saunders and J.Darden can play ball but Cubs bench is not deep. The only chance they have against Pearl is to control the offense of boards and handle the pressure and they might be able to pull off a win. All 10AA Regional Championship with winner advancing to the State and loser traveling to CPA.        

The Cheatham County Cubs are very good but if they were to compete in a harder district it would be more L then wins. If Jacob Saunders did not show up they would have lost. He blast MLK for 36 pt and they only won by 3, the week before that East pound MLK by like 50 points. For a team with a record like you stated MLK should have been a walk in the park. Give Drew and CPA credit he always made sure they played top notch teams to keep their edge. The Cheatham County Cubs have not played any top notch teams and the East win was questionable due to missing football players. Now J.Saunders and J.Darden can play ball but Cubs bench is not deep. The only chance they have against Pearl is to control the offense of boards and handle the pressure and they might be able to pull off a win. All 10AA Regional Championship with winner advancing to the State and loser traveling to CPA.        

Your post is filled with a lot of "ifs'" and a lack of facts. East was not missing football players in the first matchup and the Cubs beat them at East. Cheatham also has wins over Kenwood(ranked aaa opponent and 10aaa champ), Livingston Academy(district 8aa co-champ & region 4 semis), Harpeth x3, Lipscomb, Franklin(District 11aaa runner-up and region 6aaa semis), Meigs Co.(district 3a champ and state ranked) and West Creek(lost in Region5aaa quarters). They played in a different district last year and are 27-1 in district contests over that period. Not to mention you have no control over which district you are placed in. They are 3-0 now vs 10aa and Harpeth has wins over Lipscomb and Pearl as well. They are not deep but have played thru that all year and I think they have a great chance against Pearl, as they HAVE ALREADY BEATEN THE OTHER 3 10aa SEMIFINALISTS. MLK played inspired basketball the other night and Cheatham certainly didn't have their best game, but at this point margin of victory means nothing-survive and advance. Is Pearl capable of beating the Cubs? Sure they are, but underestimate this Cheatham team at your own peril. Go Cubs!!

Edited by mumbletypeg

I agree some with both the previous posts, I will say Cheatham County, IMO, has been battled tested, but I would have like to see them play more games throughout the year, but its whatever. at the same time though the wins Harpeth and Cheatham had over 10aa IN THE REGULAR SEASON was early in the year(East and Pearl), and things have changed and all the teams involved have gotten better. I do think IF ALL the teams come to play that the closer game would be Cheatham County vs. Pearl, but both semi final games would be close. I do have Cheatham beating Pearl, but just barely, and have East winning by around 10 against Harpeth, if they don't underestimate them. Either way the loser of the region finals, more than likely, will have to go to CPA and that is not a good scenario for ANYONE.

Your post is filled with a lot of "ifs'" and a lack of facts. East was not missing football players in the first matchup and the Cubs beat them at East. Cheatham also has wins over Kenwood(ranked aaa opponent and 10aaa champ), Livingston Academy(district 8aa co-champ & region 4 semis), Harpeth x3, Lipscomb, Franklin(District 11aaa runner-up and region 6aaa semis), Meigs Co.(district 3a champ and state ranked) and West Creek(lost in Region5aaa quarters). They played in a different district last year and are 27-1 in district contests over that period. Not to mention you have no control over which district you are placed in. They are 3-0 now vs 10aa and Harpeth has wins over Lipscomb and Pearl as well. They are not deep but have played thru that all year and I think they have a great chance against Pearl, as they HAVE ALREADY BEATEN THE OTHER 3 10aa SEMIFINALISTS. MLK played inspired basketball the other night and Cheatham certainly didn't have their best game, but at this point margin of victory means nothing-survive and advance. Is Pearl capable of beating the Cubs? Sure they are, but underestimate this Cheatham team at our own peril. Go Cubs!!  Incorrect. Isaiah Upton, the point guard for East did not play due to a concussion he received during their football playoff loss to CPA. The other 6 guys that play both sports practiced one time before that game. Cheatham might well beat them again, but to say they will because of a win in November is ludicrous.

Your post is filled with a lot of "ifs'" and a lack of facts. East was not missing football players in the first matchup and the Cubs beat them at East. Cheatham also has wins over Kenwood(ranked aaa opponent and 10aaa champ), Livingston Academy(district 8aa co-champ & region 4 semis), Harpeth x3, Lipscomb, Franklin(District 11aaa runner-up and region 6aaa semis), Meigs Co.(district 3a champ and state ranked) and West Creek(lost in Region5aaa quarters). They played in a different district last year and are 27-1 in district contests over that period. Not to mention you have no control over which district you are placed in. They are 3-0 now vs 10aa and Harpeth has wins over Lipscomb and Pearl as well. They are not deep but have played thru that all year and I think they have a great chance against Pearl, as they HAVE ALREADY BEATEN THE OTHER 3 10aa SEMIFINALISTS. MLK played inspired basketball the other night and Cheatham certainly didn't have their best game, but at this point margin of victory means nothing-survive and advance. Is Pearl capable of beating the Cubs? Sure they are, but underestimate this Cheatham team at our own peril. Go Cubs!!  Incorrect. Isaiah Upton, the point guard for East did not play due to a concussion he received during their football playoff loss to CPA. The other 6 guys that play both sports practiced one time before that game. Cheatham might well beat them again, but to say they will because of a win in November is ludicrous.

I don't see anywhere in my post where I stated that Cheatham would beat East. I was simply responding to a poster who tried to devalue the Cubs' win over East bc of missing football players and suggesting that Cheatham hadn't played any tough opposition. Football guys may not have had much preparation and one may have been out, but they were available. I personally don't think anything that happened in November or early December will affect what happens at Maplewood this week. Cheatham is focused on Pearl and I am sure East is focused on Harpeth. If they both win and meet on Thursday it should be a great game just as their last 2 meetings in the past year have been. Both games were tight-East made the plays late in the substate game last year and Cheatham made the plays late in their win earlier this year. I hope they get a chance to play again Thursday.

So much for that all 10aa final huh? Both top seeds won in convincing fashion to set up an awesome region championship Thursday night. East cruised past Harpeth and Cheatham hammered Pearl tonight. Saunders and Darden were unstoppable tonight and Pearl had no answers for them. East looked great against Harpeth tonight as well. I have been telling anyone that would listen that this Cheatham team is one of those special groups that plays their best when the lights are the brightest. Should be a great game Thursday and I can't wait to see it! Go Cubs!

your right LBD and mumble but Pearl was shooting HORRIBLE FOR THEMSELVES TONIGHT they normally make AT LEAST half of the threes they missed tonight. sometimes more and if they did this game would have been a good bit closer.Now don't take anything away from Cheatham. THEY ARE DEFINITELY GOOD and shooters everywhere. they would have won this game even if pearl was hitting, but would have been A LOT closer if pearl was hitting there shots tonight.