Small School Wrestlers That Would be Top 3 in Big School

Coffetalk

That IS the conversation we want to have.

But if the kid remains in A-AA, he wont be in that conversation.

I gave you up to possibly 50 that could place, but we both know the number will be ZERO.  No kid in A-AA can possibly place in AAA. 

They said they couldn't compete, so give me a division I can compete in.

Sorry, A-AA made this bed so they best get used to it.

This is a great video.  I highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZyz4Jk1LrY

Great Story of one coming from a little town, with astounding odds to overcome feelings of inadequacy, but because of self determination he becomes something great, he makes it a theme to "get off your back" in life and win ...and did this until he got 15 nat'l Iowa championships.

Here's another one that did what it took in HS and College coming from a smaller school in the sticks out west.  No matter the daily challenges or good reasons for a defeat he persevered to do something noone has ever done.  Great story of what he has and is doing for our great sport...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak6BmhQGExg

I mentioned Boatman to a College coach as I was texting the results from the state tournament. I like the young man, I've talked with his dad several times and complimented him as they were leaving the state tournament when Jon was a freshman. I have already broken down last years results, lets not inflate them. 10 placers, 1 champ these are the results from what are now 1A/AA schools when they competed together last year. Guys, thats a huge drop off in talent. I understand families have ties to certain schools, nothing wrong with any of it.  When the first split was made, we went from crowning a state champ to crowning a division champ. We didn't need more divisions. Do you guys understand what im saying? AAA schools are having a hard time filling rosters. You scream growth I say bs, a lot of the ones doing the screaming about wanting a split had and have excellent programs. What are we going to do for the big schools that need help growing, nothing?, or do they not get an excuse. I'm sorry if I offended, but those are my opinions.

I certainly was never offended and remember your kind words to him a few years ago. What i wrote was not intended to be about Jon or defend what he has or hasnt done but only to provide why some A/AA wrestlers may choose to stay versus transferring to another school. Thats it. I was not excited for the change but it has occurred and will not change for some time. i know it lacks depth currently and that needs to change leading to my only other point was to push for coaches to raise the level of competition in their A/AA schools as that is a more valiant effort than just accepting their schools as the little brother. With the change they voted on comes accountability for them to improve to the highest level in the state no matter the division.

I completely understand your point about crowning division champs and agree it continues to spread out the talent pool. No argument there - growing up in VA i was witness to the multiple divisions and the constant controversy they create. I just know it wont change in the near future so each A/AA coach should prepare his team as a top level AAA or D2 team if it ever does revert back. And if it doesnt the coach will at least be preparing wrestlers to go out indiidually to compete on a high level in the offseason. I think the majority agrees creating more divisions is not the right move, there are just some of us that know TSSAA isnt changing it anytime soon and how do you make improvements in the meantime.

Great Story of one coming from a little town, with astounding odds to overcome feelings of inadequacy, but because of self determination he becomes something great, he makes it a theme to "get off your back" in life and win ...and did this until he got 15 nat'l Iowa championships.

Here's another one that did what it took in HS and College coming from a smaller school in the sticks out west. No matter the daily challenges or good reasons for a defeat he persevered to do something noone has ever done. Great story of what he has and is doing for our great sport...

Nope, Cael went to Wasatch High School in Utah. Last year they had 1,527 kids enrolled in the school. NOT a smaller school at all.

For the 37 years the state championship was undivided, 1961-1997, the traditional state team title was won 19 times by teams that are currently in Dii. It was won 14 times by teams that are currently classified as Di A-AA. That leaves 4 titles won by schools that are currently Di AAA.

Every year since 1961 there has been at least one state champion from A-aa schools including after the Dii split. Most years, there have been multiple state champions from current A-AA schools.

It is what it is, whether we like it or not. I just wish that some of the postings on these boards could gain some humility, lose some arrogance, and not be so needlessly combative with their tone. Perhaps it makes the offenders feel better about themselves and perhaps that's all they have. I suppose I will continue to endure the less intelligent and mean spirited postings of a few so that I can benefit from the insightful and well meaning ones.

Excellent post !!!

No you cannot choose to "wrestle up" in class. The entire school would have to choose to play up IN EVERY SPORT offered in order for that to happen. That means that every sport in a single a school would take horrendous beatings more than likely to allow a couple of guys these supposed "scholarship opportunities".

Question #1 Just how many Tennessee high school wrestlers are getting these "scholarships"? If the only reason you are competing in high school is to get, MAYBE a 25-50%(at most) scholarship, well the odds are totally against you.

Question #2. How many colleges in Tennessee even offer scholarships in wrestling? How many full schollys do they have to spread out through the whole team? The answer will change your whole outlook on the scholarship idea. Cumberland costs $25,000-$30,000 a year. You are not getting that to wrestle I guarantee. They might have 5 people on the entire campus on full athletic scholarship in all sports combined.

Question #3.How do you propose to grow an obviously stagnant sport in Tennessee? By saying that if you are not the absolute best in a weight class it is a waste of time?  Look around. Kids these days will quit in a second if they are not being successful. Product of the reset button video game era. There are 392 schools in the TSSAA. How many of them offer wrestlng? 200? The opportunity to grow is endless, but it will never happen because you guys just sit on a message board and whine instead of doing something. It is a dead mortal lock that nobody at TSSAA cares what is said on CoachT.

You participate in wrestling or any other sport to compete against the guy(s) in another color uniform. Period. Doesn't matter who it is on the other side. You cannot control that.

Wrestling fans are the worst about having who is best. We seem to always want to diminish what others have accomplished. You now it does not matter if only 4 or 54 A-AA kids would have placed in AAA or D-ll. The split will help wrestling in Tennessee. It has in every state around us so why not here. The schools that have the money, resources, and support will always be the best, in any class. So let everyone have there moment in the sun, cause life is hard for most and maybe these accomplishments will send a few or a lot to a better sense of self and a better life who knows. There are still a lot of place's you can go to see how good you are. Go to the Super 32 or NWCA national's, get your coach to enter you in the Beast, or Ironman, Flo- Nationals. There are so many places you can go to test your medal. Go to King University and work out or UTC, Middle tn. state. Have and day with a lot of the young coach's who are all across the state, and probably a few of the older ones can still go. Give the split a chance and see if it has a positive effect on the sport that we love.  

Wrestling fans are the worst about having who is best. We seem to always want to diminish what others have accomplished. You now it does not matter if only 4 or 54 A-AA kids would have placed in AAA or D-ll. The split will help wrestling in Tennessee. It has in every state around us so why not here. The schools that have the money, resources, and support will always be the best, in any class. So let everyone have there moment in the sun, cause life is hard for most and maybe these accomplishments will send a few or a lot to a better sense of self and a better life who knows. There are still a lot of place's you can go to see how good you are. Go to the Super 32 or NWCA national's, get your coach to enter you in the Beast, or Ironman, Flo- Nationals. There are so many places you can go to test your medal. Go to King University and work out or UTC, Middle tn. state. Have and day with a lot of the young coach's who are all across the state, and probably a few of the older ones can still go. Give the split a chance and see if it has a positive effect on the sport that we love.  

It doesnt't matter to me if a D2 or A-AA kid can win or place in D1. Bottom line is is every division on the second weekend of February is watered down, and there will never be a true state champion.  Have the Region tourney the 3rd Saturday in January, the feel good state tourney for the sensiive the last Saturday in January, and a true state consolidated tourney with no team scoring shortly after that.

We do have true state champs in each division.  Like I said wrestling fans are the worst about who the true no. 1 is, well we have 3 divisions in Tennessee and 3 state champs. And as I said we don't need to diminish these wrestlers accomplishments, cause it ain't no feel good tournament, it is our STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. It doesn't water anything down it may allow some kids to get more serious about the sport and get better. Why just have 1 weight class and have 1 true champ. There can be only 1.

"We do have true state champs in each division.  Like I said wrestling fans are the worst about who the true no. 1 is, well we have 3 divisions in Tennessee and 3 state champs. And as I said we don't need to diminish these wrestlers accomplishments, cause it ain't no feel good tournament, it is our STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. It doesn't water anything down it may allow some kids to get more serious about the sport and get better. Why just have 1 weight class and have 1 true champ. There can be only 1."

Taxman wrote: Wrestling fans aren't the worst.  There is nothing wrong with having 1 champion in the indvidual tourney.  Having three divisions do not provide a state champion.  It only recognizes a division champion because you have 2 other champs from another division in your weight class.  Doesn't sound like a true TN state champion to me.  Saying that does not diminish the wrestler's accomplishment. The wrestler accomplished a very solid tournament victory but not a state championship because not all wrestlers competed.  You want your state individual tourney to be the penultimate quest.  The YMCA should host the division championships next year.   A true wrestler doesn't need a watered down system to motivate him.  No comment to your 1 weight class proposal. 

Mr RefTN,

Maybe you as a man should focus on being what your title says you are, a ref. You best believe the overall opinion of officiating in Tennessee is not high right now. There are a few exceptions, but it really doesn't make me feel good that our refs are so opinionated and are on message boards. Shouldn't you be trying to remove the bias? Anyway, I'll let you call out high school kids, but a real man would focus on himself before calling out some kids who just achieved a dream. Yeah maybe it was lessened, and yes I am a big fan of one division, but complaining about it on this message board isn't gonna do anything. Start a referee group that proposes one division to the TSSAA if you care so much.