Update on moving the State Tournament

russianbear

Then I have met a lot of insane coaches.  Coaches, who were at GP West, did your team shower at Brentwood after wrestling?

And I respect your opinion as well.  Since you have been on the front end of this movement, are there statistics on how many kids have gotten a skin infection/disease directly as a result of this facility?

I know plenty about being sued and in order successfully argue a case, you have to prove damages beyond a reasonable doubt.  Who has skin disease as a direct result of the venue?  Is there one verifiable case?

Recently the Kids AAU State was held in an Ag Center in Cookeville.  Were there skin diseases directly attributed to the use of that facility as well? 

You all can argue all you want with me, but that is the argument you better be prepared to fight if skin/disease and showers are your battle cry.  So far, I am not hearing a lot of compelling reason if I am the TSSAA.

Now with all that said, I am FOR a different venue, but its going to cost money.  Someone else is going to have to pay that money besides me and you.  If you want someone else like the TSSAA or perhaps the State of Tennessee to cover those costs, I think we should focus on the pomp and circumstance and the total experience for our youth.  I think that should be the issue on top of the list.  Perhaps we should send the Governor pictures of the venues in use in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, etc.  (has anyone made a list?)  The health benefits (and I am sure there are some) should be below that.

JMHO....Bash away.

We all know the value of passing or failing skin checks at Blackman, Matt.

What any good business person or administrator knows you have to stay ahead of those legal opportunists. Reeves did not suggest a problem with hygiene at the core palace purely for small talk. This is serious

( ´_ã‚`) so much for audio texting, didn't mean core didn't mean pore and didn't even mean sore ...actually in mi mente it's "cow" as in mad or desease, i.e., MSSA or MRSA ~>

SERIOUSLY... A result of some of these contagious bacteria/fungi can be sepsis which is most commonly caused staphylococci by abrasions, burns and especially lungs. (i know first hand from athletics esp. in contact sports over the past 20+ years, not so bad 20 years before however)

Here's a copy and paste...

Typically, 50% of all sepsis cases start as an infection in the lungs. No source is found in one third of cases.[12]

The infectious agents are usually bacteria but can also be fungi and viruses.[12] While gram-negative bacteria were previously the most common cause of sepsis, in the last decade, gram-positive bacteria, most commonly staphylococci, are thought to cause more than 50% of cases of sepsis.[13]

Sepsis (/ˈsɛpsɨs/; Greek σῆψις, putrefaction and decay) is a potentially fatal whole-body inflammation (a systemic inflammatory response syndrome or SIRS) caused by severe infection.[1][2] Sepsis can continue even after the infection that caused it is gone. Severe sepsis is sepsis complicated by organ dysfunction. Septic shock is sepsis complicated by a high lactate level or by shock that does not improve after fluid resuscitation.[3] Bacteremia is the presence of viable bacteria in the blood. The term septicemia, the presence of microorganisms or their toxins in the blood, is no longer used by the consensus committee.[2]

Sepsis causes millions of deaths globally each year.[4]

Sepsis is caused by the immune system's response to a serious infection, most commonly bacteria, but also fungi, viruses, and parasites in the blood, urinary tract, lungs, skin, or other tissues. Sepsis can be thought of as falling within a continuum from infection to multiple organ dysfunction syndrome.[5]

Common symptoms of sepsis include those related to a specific infection, but usually accompanied by high fevers, hot, flushed skin, elevated heart rate, hyperventilation, altered mental status, swelling, and low blood pressure. In the very young and elderly, or in people with weakened immune systems, the pattern of symptoms may be atypical, with hypothermia and without an easily localizable infection.[6][7]

Source: Wiki

I recently saw a case lead to double pneumonia and pleurisy and a serious heart infection. 7 week stay at Vandy.

Edited by Sommers

This was a facebook message I received today and it isn't the only one. I obviously blotted out the name.

"Ben, I am not a facebook guy, but it is best way to get in touch w you. I am very encouraged by your fight to move the state venue. It is, and has been, a joke. This season, a week after state duals, xxxx came down with gladitoral Herpes. The cow palace was the only place he had wrestled for the last 14 days before. From another kid who wasnt skin checked? or from the arena? we do not know, but he will live with the occasional outbreaks the rest of his life. If I can be of assistance please let me know. cell xxx-xxxx"

• Upvote 1

I know that it this is completely antidotal but I got as sick as I have ever been after spending the day at the kids state that was held in an agricultural center in crossville similar to the Williams county center last year; I know about a dozen other people who all got sick also. I have heard a lot of people already making comments about getting sick again this year; now It could have been completely conciencidental last year with a normal virus going around and not related to the venue at all. But, it took me at least 7 days before I was able to stop tasting that dirt from the Hyper Burke center in my sinuses and then being very sick it did lead me to believe that there was a correlation.

Considering the amount of animal fecal matter that has to be in that dirt in that type of facility it is no telling what type of bacteria we picked up in the air from that venue. It's one thing for people who spend all day every day around farm animals and farm dirt to be exposed to that type of dirt with that type of bacteria but it is a completely different thing to expose people who are never around farm animals or horses to expose them to that type of bacteria and to do it for 6 to 12 hours as a majority of people were at kids last year and high school kids were this year.

I will say that unlike the kids state, the high school states did a much better job of covering the entire dirt floor so that there wasn't nearly the amount of dirt in the air as we experienced last year at the kids state.

One other thing that I will say also, regardless of the Heath issues which I do believe do have some legitimacy, holding our high school and kids state tourneys in ag centers regardless of the quality of the facilities does put a stigma on the legitimacy of our sport in this state.

Random thoughts.

I understand the concerns that people have about the lack of showers at the venue and how showering following every match can be help prevent skin conditions.  Really, a wrestler should shower after every match, if possible.  However 2 things; 1. I attend several tournaments a year and as soon as the tournament is over, teams load up and go without showering (i do know that several teams that attend our Smoky Mtn Duals, do shower before leaving the venue); 2.  what is the point of showering if you wear the same singlet each match without washing it and wear your wrestling shoes off the mat, including wearing them outside and in the bathroom.

I have attended each state tournament that has been held in the Expo center and I attended the TeamTN AAU States last year in Cookeville.  I am allergic to one thing: DUST.  However, i have never gotten sick following these events.  My eyes were irritated and I had to use drops.  I believe the dust from last years TeamTN States had a lot to do with those big fans they turned on which was blowing all the dirt down from the rafters, regardless, it was not the best conditions.

I love the high school states when they where held in McClellan but we outgrew it.  I loved it at the round house, but there were several "user unfriendly" things that would need to be addressed, especially PARKING and the expense of the site rental (which I was told was paid for by a private sponsor).

I

From GA

http://www.ghsa.net/treatment-and-prevention-skin-infections-wrestlers

The most important things to remember are to practice proper hygiene immediately after every practice or competition using hot water and antibacterial soap, keeping practice areas including weight rooms and equipment properly disinfected, and never to share used towels, equipment, and uniforms with out proper washing. It is always easier to prevent infections from occurring than it is to contract and then treat them.

• Upvote 1

Got a response...

Floor space is 168'w x 196'l with risers out (no seats on the floor).

Seating is approximately 7,000 with no seats on the floor in a 360 degree configuration.

Sincerely,

S. Hill

Dir. of Sales & Marketing

Nashville Municipal Auditorium

Enough for 10-12 mats. 33,000 sq ft. Perhaps some not for profit rates can apply

A close friend spoke with Bob Skoney the General Manager of Nashville Municipal Auditorium and was told that a reduced rate for the TSSAA State Wrestling Tournament is possible but you MUST get the Nashville Sports Council to support the project.

The Nashville Sports Council is also the group that must have a major role if the NCAA D1 Wrestling Championships were to ever make it to Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. With the hotels, nightlife, restaurants, etc... Bridgestone Arena would be a great location for the NCAA D1 Tournament. Two major pluses is that Nashville is a hub for Southwest Airlines and is a one day drive for 2/3 of the United States.

• Upvote 1