Update on moving the State Tournament

russianbear

Chattanooga can say that they would love to have it back. That is great. Nobody in the state was complaining about Mackenzie. It was a great venue. But it became very obvious that it wasn't that important to the community or the university to host it there. We lost the use of the facility twice when scheduled to be there. I don't recall the reason and it is not important anymore. However, if it were to return to Mackenzie, I would like to see the contract between the TSSAA and UTC. I think as much as the wrestlers deserve a good venue to compete in, they deserve more to not have to miss 3 days of school and wrestling their championship matches on a Friday night.

Even with a 32 man bracket the state tournament should only be a 2 day event where the student/athletes would miss 1 day of school.  If the National Prep can be completed with a  32 man bracket in 2 day's please tell me that the TSSAA can figure out how to accomplish the same task.  Now having D1AAA & D1AA-A if we were all honest the D1AAA bracket should become a 16 man bracket.

Even with a 32 man bracket the state tournament should only be a 2 day event where the student/athletes would miss 1 day of school.  If the National Prep can be completed with a  32 man bracket in 2 day's please tell me that the TSSAA can figure out how to accomplish the same task.  Now having D1AAA & D1AA-A if we were all honest the D1AAA bracket should become a 16 man bracket.

If all those teams went down to a/aa this year why didnt the AAA bracket get smaller? Yes, they have large numbers but lets be honest here. The majority of those schools arent true wrestling schools and the depth of talent isnt reflective of the oveerall number of teams.  

Women's basketball

Proud of UTC for hanging on to it's wrestling program, but true, women's basketball did supersede the TSSAA wrestling tournament which I intentionally left out, but not forgotten by the old man.

Things could get ugly if the Scuffle got shoved aside. ヽ(`Д´)ノ

Edited by Sommers

I'm all for getting an adequate facility. I'm not opposed to having it back at McKenzie. Getting bumped for women's basketball was bad. But for me, even worse than that, was how rude most of the security and gatekeepers were and also not allowing teams and kids to bring in their own healthy food. At least at the cow palace, the people have always been friendly and easy to work with.

I'm all for getting an adequate facility. I'm not opposed to having it back at McKenzie. Getting bumped for women's basketball was bad. But for me, even worse than that, was how rude most of the security and gatekeepers were and also not allowing teams and kids to bring in their own healthy food. At least at the cow palace, the people have always been friendly and easy to work with.

I remember those 45 gallon brute trash cans loaded full of wrestlers snacks.  They sold

NOTHING that would be healthy for the wrestlers!  I also remember the hydration stations

that were to be set up for the wrestlers - All were empty during the tournament. 

It was ALL about the dollar.  There is no other reason that would force them to search

everything including purses, camera bags, and clothing looking for food. 

Who actually showers anyway? How many kids shower at GP West or at the Cleveland duals? I've never seen AAU kids shower at an all day tournament.

I know this seems to be the battle cry against the cow palace but it doesn't hold a lot of water.

Just about every team I know of showers. Their coaches require it. Your argument is that you've never seen a 10 year old shower after a tourney so high schoolers must not either?

And this issue doesn't hold any water, at all, because there's no showers....pun

Edited by WrestlingGod

Who actually showers anyway? How many kids shower at GP West or at the Cleveland duals? I've never seen AAU kids shower at an all day tournament.

I know this seems to be the battle cry against the cow palace but it doesn't hold a lot of water.

IMO, if a coach allows his wrestlers to leave practice or matches without taking a shower he is crazy. With every dermatologist that I have ever spoken with saying you should shower "IMMEDIATELY" after practice or competition to prevent skin infections all coaches should make it mandatory. Not taking a shower is just plain stupid because you not only take the risk of contracting skin infections yourself but also infecting your teammates and opponent.