Girls Wrestling is Now a TSSAA Sanctioned Sport

bbb

Im not concerned with the duals as much. Why is it not feasible to host the finals at different times? There is so much wasted time at the state its not even funny. Personally I would hold the girls somewhere else or on the weekend of the duals unless they are now going to have a duals championship as well. Im not against girls wrestling but personally I dont care to watch it and dont think most other people do either unless you have a girl wrestling. Im not trying to be sexist but just stating the facts. If they are held at the same time who is going to watch the girls match over the AAA or dII finals? The parents of the girls is all thats going to watch it so what is the point of hosting all finals at the same time? They would probably prefer their own time in the spotlight just as AAA, A-AA and DII would prefer their own time as well. you cant watch all matches at once so we need to stop kidding ourselves and acting like we do. Its not possible and all we are doing is watering it down. Last year was a phiasco to say the least.

Edited by tnlonghorn

Im not concerned with the duals as much. Why is it not feasible to host the finals at different times? There is so much wasted time at the state its not even funny. Personally I would hold the girls somewhere else or on the weekend of the duals unless they are now going to have a duals championship as well. Im not against girls wrestling but personally I dont care to watch it and dont think most other people do either unless you have a girl wrestling. Im not trying to be sexist but just stating the facts. If they are held at the same time who is going to watch the girls match over the AAA or dII finals? The parents of the girls is all thats going to watch it so what is the point of hosting all finals at the same time? They would probably prefer their own time in the spotlight just as AAA, A-AA and DII would prefer their own time as well. you cant watch all matches at once so we need to stop kidding ourselves and acting like we do. Its not possible and all we are doing is watering it down. Last year was a phiasco to say the least.

then do what joe blair did ... come up with written proposal and show how all the dead time can be used better etc and present it to joe and mark and mike parker etc and see what happens

b.b.b.

I don't think having matches simultaneously decreases the excitement. It might not be ideal if you want to see all the matches (because they're happening simultaneously), but it doesn't reduce the excitement. The venue/atmosphere is why the excitement seems to have diminished.  Did it really seem more exciting in 2013 (there were only 2 matches simultaneously instead of 3) as opposed to this year?

Edited by russianbear

so what is your solution ?  four traditional (girls, A-AA, AAA, D-II) or three duals finals at different times or sites or dates?

that's not feasible ...

Ga. does it all at the same time and it works fine  I do like the way Ga. does the intro for the finalists  introduced by weight, each finalist walks down the steps onto the mat with a quick bio  no smoke lights etc

and they can do five divisions in about 10-12 minutes  it is impressive (I have only seen the Ga. finals once so not sure they still do the intro this way)

tennis holds D-II, AAA and A-AA finals all at the same place and some team finalsat the same time and it works

bbb

What D2 schools will have girls wrestling next season? We all know that male only schools like MBA, CBHS & McCallie will not offer wrestling for girls. If I were a gambling man I would say few if any of the church related schools will offer the sport. Who knows what schools like Harpeth Hall, GPS, Saint Cecilia, etc...will decide to do.

I don't think having matches simultaneously decreases the excitement. It might not be ideal if you want to see all the matches (because they're happening simultaneously), but it doesn't reduce the excitement. The venue/atmosphere is why the excitement seems to have diminished.  Did it really seem more exciting in 2013 (there were only 2 matches simultaneously instead of 3) as opposed to this year?

Yes, absolutley it was a factor in the excitment. It was the single cause of the chaos and confusion of the finals. The botched pre-match show, the failure to announce the kids and their accomplishments, the confusion of announcing the awards while matches were going on and not even announcing or ackowledging the winners and on and on. I do agree the venue was a huge part of the lack of excitment as well. Just because all those people are there doesnt mean they are watching the A-AA or DII. Everyone watches the matches they want to see and thats it. Did you watch the online matches? It was even worse. Two people trying to announce three finals was a complete failure. Nothing against them but its not possible.   

• Upvote 1

boys and girls golf play on the same course at the same time and it works just fine

bbb

Yes, Lets compare wrestling to one of the slowest most boring things to watch there is "Golf"   Ranks right up there with watching paint dry. Every division needs their own time for the finals, even girls. Not during other matches. We all missed enough matches at this years state, trying to watch 3 mats all at once.  Great now its gonna be 4.  All for girls wrestling, but 4 finals all at once. OMG

Yes, Lets compare wrestling to one of the slowest most boring things to watch there is "Golf"   Ranks right up there with watching paint dry. Every division needs their own time for the finals, even girls. Not during other matches. We all missed enough matches at this years state, trying to watch 3 mats all at once.  Great now its gonna be 4.  All for girls wrestling, but 4 finals all at once. OMG

exactly!

Two points. First, there are (in the current school year) seven sports that are offered for both boys and girls. 5½ of those have boys and girls state championships together--golf, track-and-field, cross-country, bowling, tennis, and Division II basketball. Division I basketball is the outlier in having them separated. (In the case of soccer, they're not in the same season.)

Second, I have been looking, and have yet to find a state where there is more than one class, where a single mat is used for the championship matches. (The closest I've found is Pennsylvania. There, the two classes have separate finals, but the lesser place matches are wrestled simultaneously to the gold medal match of that weight.)

Is what has been reported true that the D2 schools had a meeting one week after the state tournament and plan to have the state championships for both duals and individuals at a venue other than the Cow Palace?  I had hoped that one day everyone would see the light and vote for a return to a combined individual state wrestling tournament but it appears as if this is now going in the opposite direction and would take a miracle to keep the D2 schools from leaving the TSSAA. 

• Upvote 1

Ga State Traditional

6 classifications   all finals are run at the same time   and believe it or not parents of the finalists sit in the corners (2 seats per family) opposite the coaches corners  seems to work for them

this yr they were at high schools due to weather  issues  but other years they rotate between Macon and Gwinnett County

Tenn. needs to do what Ga. does and award medals at the end for all classifications

Tenn. needs showers for wrestlers at the state championship site

b.b.b.

• Upvote 1

Like previously mentioned...I am not aware of a single state in the Union that has each state championship match as the lone match during that match...PA holds finals for each place for the specific weight all at once, so there are other matches going on at the same time.

Unless you are talking about the elite of the elite (NCAA-D1 finals), there aren't many tournaments operated EVER in the manner you are clamoring for.  Logistically speaking it would be very difficult to hold all the classification tournaments at the same venue and then separate the championship bouts.  It would take close to SIX hours to hold 4 divisions worth of championship matches.

I can tell you that I attended both the Alabama and Tennessee state championships last season (2013) and besides the venue (AL was much better), the amount of people attending was similar, and the ability to watch multiple matches at the same time with a reasonable view of each mat was similar.

The Tennessee wrestling was better though.

Showering facilities would be nice...but in case you've never met a wrestler before, some don't even shower when they are available...in fact, I would say most don't.