SouthSide vs CPA

big_mike0307

The only upset in this game are the fans who thought the game was in the bag for CPA. You still have to play the game, that's why you have a scoreboard. In tournaments every team has an equal chance to win. They all have won their Region tournaments to get there. The only reason people get upset is because they think they are better than they really are.

Here's a challenge for you . Go back and find one post, especially from a CPA fan, that suggests the game was "in the bag for CPA". I think I remember one or two that said that from West Tennessee, but not CPA.

Here's a challenge for you . Go back and find one post, especially from a CPA fan, that suggests the game was "in the bag for CPA". I think I remember one or two that said that from West Tennessee, but not CPA.

Here's a challange for you, re-read my post and show me where I said CPA fan. My post was for anyone who considers an upset from 1 of the 2 teams in the finals. I was really responding to the above post who said the CPA was favored. Somebody forgot to tell Jackson South Side that.

Here's a challange for you, re-read my post and show me where I said CPA fan. My post was for anyone who considers an upset from 1 of the 2 teams in the finals. I was really responding to the above post who said the CPA was favored. Somebody forgot to tell Jackson South Side that.

CPA was favored, but they knew JSS was tough and they know favored teams lose all the time in all sports. When you have 2 good teams that have made it to the finals, anyone can win and anyone knows that that knows anything about sports. It's easy to come on here after the upset and say it wasn't an upset. When you are #1 in the state all year, won the last 2 titles, beat 90+ Tn. teams in a row, beat the same team handily in the finals the year before, have beaten several really good teams all year, you are naturally favored. Being favored is part of sports just as favorites getting beat is part. Kudos again to JSS. They have a good team, played CPA head up, and won by 2 when CPA did not have its 2 best players on the floor the last couple of minutes. That's all part of the game and JSS deserves the credit for winning a big game and being champs. Personally, I am a CPA fan but I appreciate the heart and dedication of the JSS team coming back after getting beat last year.

......... I didn't see CPA as this fantastic all star team. When they meet their level of competition, they are not the same team. I saw the Ballard game....Ballard got in their face, just like Southside did. They have one stud and good role players....... CPA also played in a cake district and region. They missed Jalen Lindsey. #fact.

Fact, it is so easy for you to come on here AFTER the game and put down CPA, especially when you are the one who claimed JSS would beat them last year.

CPA had a great team and a great year, and the loss to JSS does not diminish what they accomplished the last 3 years. So you saw the Ballard game huh? CPA goes on the road and takes the #1 team in Ky. to overtime and loses in OT with Blackwell on the bench. That makes them soft? Who else in TN. would have been in OT in that game?

CPA easily beat BGA (state champs), Ensworth (state champs), Oak Ridge (state runner-ups), Mitchell by over 30 (state champs), UHS by over 30 (final 8). They also beat Top 10 teams Cheatham County by over 30, Brentwood (final 4 AAA), and Kenwood. They lost 3 games, one in OT, and one by 2 points.

There is NOT ONE OTHER TEAM in Tn. that would have accomplished the above, I guarantee it. You can gloat all you want at CPA losing, but it is low class to question their talent, players, schedule and a great season after they lose to a good team in the semifinals.

And by the way, JSS may have got in their face, but CPA came back from being down 9 to go up by 4 before the foul trouble killed them, so they didn't back down. They showed a lot of guts.

Edited by sportsnerd

Fact, it is so easy for you to come on here AFTER the game and put down CPA, especially when you are the one who claimed JSS would beat them last year.

CPA had a great team and a great year, and the loss to JSS does not diminish what they accomplished the last 3 years. So you saw the Ballard game huh? CPA goes on the road and takes the #1 team in Ky. to overtime and loses in OT with Blackwell on the bench. That makes them soft? Who else in TN. would have been in OT in that game?

CPA easily beat BGA (state champs), Ensworth (state champs), Oak Ridge (state runner-ups), Mitchell by over 30 (state champs), UHS by over 30 (final 8). They also beat Top 10 teams Cheatham County by over 30, Brentwood (final 4 AAA), and Kenwood. They lost 3 games, one in OT, and one by 2 points.

There is NOT ONE OTHER TEAM in Tn. that would have accomplished the above, I guarantee it. You can gloat all you want at CPA losing, but it is low class to question their talent, players, schedule and a great season after they lose to a good team in the semifinals.

And by the way, JSS may have got in their face, but CPA came back from being down 9 to go up by 4 before the foul trouble killed them, so they didn't back down. They showed a lot of guts.

I am not putting them down. You make CPA out to be this glorified all star team. No other team in Tennessee can do the above.....what are you smoking? Whitestation was ranked 5th in the Nation. But they lost. CPA would not have beaten Whitestation. That game got canceled. Also the Bank of America city of palms Classic got canceled as well. Ask Drew about that. He knew the truth. He canceled after he lost Jalen. I stated facts......if you get in there face, they are a different team. In fact Bonds will lose his cool. They have ONE STUD, that's Blackwell. Those other players can be replaced. Period. I'll take my 07 Liberty team over them any day. And twice on Sunday. You ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION. They are a good team. You act like they are the best thing since sliced bread. Stop it. Or better yet, don't get upset when someone doesn't agree with you. Now, go sit down and get out there and help Madux recruit. Edited by nebuntyn

I am not putting them down. You make CPA out to be this glorified all star team. No other team in Tennessee can do the above.....what are you smoking? Whitestation was ranked 5th in the Nation. But they lost. CPA would not have beaten Whitestation. That game got canceled. Also the Bank of America city of palms Classic got canceled as well. Ask Drew about that. He knew the truth. He canceled after he lost Jalen. I stated facts......if you get in there face, they are a different team. In fact Bonds will lose his cool. They have ONE STUD, that's Blackwell. Those other players can be replaced. Period. I'll take my 07 Liberty team over them any day. And twice on Sunday. You ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION. They are a good team. You act like this is the best thing since sliced bread. Stop it. Or better yet, don't get upset when someone doesn't agree with you. Now, go sit down and get out there and help Madux recruit.

The difference between you and me is that my OPINION is backed up by the facts of what they accomplished this year and the past 3 years, and not shaded by a West Tennessee bias that you have made very clear in your posts for years. Did you dismiss the quality of Whitestation's season because they didn't even make it to the state? No, but when CPA loses one game, you dismiss their quality. Whitestation was very good and the only team ranked above CPA in TN nationally. Who put them out? Arlington. Who beat Arlington in the state? Oak Ridge.Who destroyed Oak Ridge at the Arby's? CPA!

I never said they were the best thing since sliced bread. Based on this season, the games and the FACTS, CPA and Whitestation were the best teams in the state. I was responding to those who come in after JSS pulls the upset and try to claim CPA was overrated and soft, and they knew it all along.

And you seem pretty upset that I disagreed with you, so you better sit down as well. If I do sit, it won't be because you told me to.

The difference between you and me is that my OPINION is backed up by the facts of what they accomplished this year and the past 3 years, and not shaded by a West Tennessee bias that you have made very clear in your posts for years. Did you dismiss the quality of Whitestation's season because they didn't even make it to the state? No, but when CPA loses one game, you dismiss their quality. Whitestation was very good and the only team ranked above CPA in TN nationally. Who put them out? Arlington. Who beat Arlington in the state? Oak Ridge.Who destroyed Oak Ridge at the Arby's? CPA!

I never said they were the best thing since sliced bread. Based on this season, the games and the FACTS, CPA and Whitestation were the best teams in the state. I was responding to those who come in after JSS pulls the upset and try to claim CPA was overrated and soft, and they knew it all along.

And you seem pretty upset that I disagreed with you, so you better sit down as well. If I do sit, it won't be because you told me to.

Buahaaa! Ok SportsNERD I never said they were overrated. And personally, I don't think it was an upset. Not based on facts and looking at player for player. Now, recruiting season has started. Go get a few new players and that will make you feel better. And their district and region should be called Charmin.......because it was soft.

CPA was not the same team without Lindsey.We watched them Thursday night and the person I was with, said then that South Side was going to beat CPA. Blackwell getting his 2nd foul hurt CPA because he did a good job protecting the rim.South Side also lost Barford for about the whole first half.The MVP of this game was the job 21 did on Allsmiller.A great coaching move to guard him face to face.Allsmiller can't create his own shot.Mcneil shot the seams off the ball the whole state tournament and Barford and Hicks were really good.Outside of Mcneil making shots outside, everything else was in the paint and at the free throw line.

I am not putting them down. You make CPA out to be this glorified all star team. No other team in Tennessee can do the above.....what are you smoking? Whitestation was ranked 5th in the Nation. But they lost. CPA would not have beaten Whitestation. That game got canceled. Also the Bank of America city of palms Classic got canceled as well. Ask Drew about that. He knew the truth. He canceled after he lost Jalen. I stated facts......if you get in there face, they are a different team. In fact Bonds will lose his cool. They have ONE STUD, that's Blackwell. Those other players can be replaced. Period. I'll take my 07 Liberty team over them any day. And twice on Sunday. You ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION. They are a good team. You act like they are the best thing since sliced bread. Stop it. Or better yet, don't get upset when someone doesn't agree with you. Now, go sit down and get out there and help Madux recruit

Yes, Drew did cancel those games as soon as Jalen transferred. He wasn't happy about the kid leaving for sure.  I'm not sure it would have hurt the team to have still played against the tougher teams. If nothing else, to let them learn what it feels like to lose big, so that they would have been more humble with the rest of their wins.

Regardless, CPA got their "3peat" of Mr. Basketball. All kids who transferred in under questionable circumtances. All 3 great ball players no doubt.

And whether the region is soft or not, CPA enjoys the competition.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the team now that the AAU players are graduating.

People are finding out that west of the TN River basketball is played at a real high level girls and boys. The Bolivar's, Liberty's, South Side's, UC's, Humboldt's and Lake County's are not scared or intimidated by the CPA's no matter how stacked. Great win by South Side but I am sure they expected to win. I am not suprised. Congrats for bringing the Gold back to WT.

• Upvote 1

Whoever it was that said had CPA played their best they would have run Jackson SS out of the gym LOST ALL CREDIBILITY WITH THAT STATEMENT.

Jackson SS WANTED CPA and had been hoping for a rematch...that much I know to be a fact. Anybody with a functioning brain would take Jackson SS big three over CPA's big three...why? because on balance they are better players.....Jackson SS played some tough talented teams this season. Some of those teams had some High Major talents......I have a feeling a lot of people don't have a clue about the type of players Jackson SS has and some of the teams they beat this season....CPA was just another victim of a hungry team that was on a mission all season.

So CPA won a million games in a row against team in the state.....but I would remind everyone a majority of those wins were not like against really tough battle tested teams.

In the last 11 years State AA state Champions (all from the same district)

Bolivar 3

Liberty 3

Jackson SS 1

runner-ups

Jackson SS 2

Liberty 1

Two of those season two teams from this same district played for the state championship. That's alot of hardware for one district and I would say unmatched  by any other district in AA over that time span...in fact it's not even close.

It's not like in most districts one team is dominating the district (hence CPA  haha) it's a meat grinder every season. Every team is at some point going to have a down year here and there but some team from this district is always going to be in the mix....next season Lexington is going to be in the mix along with Jackson SS again. That doesn't mean this district wins again next year but it means it's still going to be the tough just like always.

This is double AA and anytime a AA team has one or multiple D1 talents mixed with above average other players it's going to be tough team and a tough out at the AA level. If it was AAA it would be different but it's not. CPA is going to be in the mix next season as well but far from certain to pencil them in as the favorites. 

So CPA won two in a row just like Fulton, we all get that. But we all also get JACKSON SS led by a bevy of D1 talents beating CPA WAS NOT AN UPSET over CPA.......FR FROM IT! 

I'm not even including the Shelby County area (which is one the true hotbeds in the entire country in regards to an amazing number of HIGH MAJOR AND MID MAJOR RECRUITS) but rural West TN at large (A/AA/AAA) which is nothing even remotely close to Metro areas, of recent history has turned out players like Willie Kemp, Wayne Chism, Richard Delk, Reginald Delk, Jarvis Varnardo, Robert Hubbs, Casey Prather, Kendal Anthony, not to mention others like Brian Lake, Olajuawon Kemp, Juwan Long, Josh Sain, Justin Blake, MJ Brown, and a slew of others that went to college low/midD1/NAIA......POINT IS FANS OF THE AREA SEE GREAT TEAMS WITH REALLY GOOD PLAYERS AT ALL LEVELS EVERY SEASON  AND HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF IF SAID TEAM IS CAPABLE OF MAKING SOME REAL NOISE FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS........IT'S NOT LIKE YOU JUST SEE A TEAM OR TWO FOR AN ENTIRE AREA AND THAT'S ABOUT IT......YOU CAN SEE MULTIPLE INCREDIBLE MATCHUPS EVERY WEEK OF EVERY SEASON FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON SO YOU HAVE GOOD FEEL OF HOW THING REALLY ARE.

BARFORD/MCNEAL/HICKS ARE LEGIT D1 TALENTS THAT PLAY TOUGH TEAMS IN HIGH SCHOOL AND WHEN ON THE CIRCUIT AS WELL. THEY DON'T HAVE TO TRAVEL FAR TO GET GOOD MATCHUPS PLUS THEY PLAY TEAMS IN MEMPHIS AND PLAY IS GOOD HOLIDAY TOURNAMENTS AS WELL.

Now I know other areas of the state have good teams and programs as well and should be recognized.....I'm making a point that when I say Jackson SS beating CPA was not an upset IT ABSOLUTELY WAS NOT. I've seen enough high caliber teams and players over the years to know if a team is a pretender or a contender, that without a doubt Jackson SS was at worst even money against CPA....and I also follow the entire state, NOT JUST MY AREA.

I'm not even going to get into some of the type of teams and players Jackson SS has beat this season but I can assure anyone the schedule was not a cakewalk and to finish 32 and 2 is a true testament to how good this team really was.

I guess I can understand, as the Tennessean stated, CPA was stunned because of all the hype but in reality it was far from a stunning ending to CPA's season.....I was not even going to continue this baseless back and forth until someone stated if CPA was on their game they would have run Jackson SS pout of the gym......not only is that laughable it also means if anyone truly thinks that they are both blinded by HOMERISM and has become drunk on the koolaid.

....I'm making a point that when I say Jackson SS beating CPA was not an upset IT ABSOLUTELY WAS NOT...

Also sounds like SS had a coach with a game plan and the players to execute it verse CPA; got control of the tempo, played off Blackwell and Bonds and did not give Allsmiller any space, which is exactly what was needed to be done in order to get them in a close game and have a chance to win it at the end.

Interesting how one gets to read how great the program is with a great coach, hardest working team in the state, early morning practices, great commitment, great player development which is proven by its deep bench with those who would start on many other AA teams, yadayadayada, yet I continue to read after all this time there is still a talented perimeter player who can not create his own shot. Those statements do not add up, but there have been a lot of statements that do not add up.  But like you said there are a lot of teams each year in the state that need to be recognized for what they have done and accomplished as well. 

Also will be interesting to know if the JL article in yesterday's Tennesssean has any future effect on BB's decision to actually stay at CPA the next two years, though early on this year BB was quoted as saying he would not leave.