SouthSide vs CPA

big_mike0307

Congrats to SS. They have a lot to be proud of and deserved the win. Streaks are made to be broken. No one is unbeatable. Congrats to CPA seniors for a great run and thanks for a great 4 years.

Hey there buddy! We were a bit worried about you. You should come over and chat with your football buddies. It just isn't the same without you guys....

I'll even vote CPA #1 on your 2014 top 10 list if you will come back!!!

Edited by F5seekshelter

Hey there buddy! We were a bit worried about you. You should come over and chat with your football buddies. It just isn't the same without you guys....

I'll even vote CPA #1 on your 2014 top 10 list if you will come back!!!

Don't give sportsnerd a hard time, at least he has offered congrats to Southside, don't see many other CPA fans doing the same.

Sportsnerd, I know this was not the outcome you had hoped for, but still a outstanding season and run for CPA. Good luck next year.

Don't give sportsnerd a hard time, at least he has offered congrats to Southside, don't see many other CPA fans doing the same.

Sportsnerd, I know this was not the outcome you had hoped for, but still a outstanding season and run for CPA. Good luck next year.

Thanks. I don't trash talk when we win, or whine when we lose. I enjoy sports, I am a CPA fan for over 20 years, and I enjoy analyzing HS sports. CPA was not unbeatable as proven, and I never said they were. As a matter of fact, I said that if you could shoot well and limit turnovers and CPA steals, you could beat them. Their game is all about transition off of missed shots, TO's and steals. That is how they beat JSS last year, and JSS protected the ball better this year and shot better. Also, despite all the boring discussion about how they are a recruiting machine, they did not have superior talent after their top 4 players. Take 2 of them away with foul trouble and they became an average team.

As far as F5 digging me for something he claimed all football season I said (and didn't), things must be really boring in Tornado land since they got bounced much earlier and football's over. The difference when CPA loses after a great run is that they didn't claim they could not be beat, unlike the Alcoa fans who claimed they were unbeatable before CAK proved then wrong.

The kid hicks is one of the best players you've never heard of but he is also one of the bravest. Playing with 4 fouls, not only did he draw a charge on Blackwell (his 5th), but Bonds as well. Maddux is one of the cockiest coaches I've ever encountered. CPA took the floor with a mentality that no one could beat them. Maybe they should stop padding there schedule with the cupcake teams and actually play quality opponents during the regular season. That way when they actually take the floor against somebody that's not intimidated, They won't fold. 1-3 in close games doesn't seem so elite. Replacing bonds, ausmiller, and Richard means one of two things. Drew Maddux will be active on ribals.com and the aau seen searching for the next great "transfer" or it's off to another school. Either way "the best team money can buy" should have spent a little more money on depth

You have got to be kidding! CPA scheduled and played in 2 nationally ranked holiday tourneys, played and beat 1A champ Mitchell, DII champs BGA and Ensworth, 3AAA runnerup Oak Ridge and semifinalist Brentwood, Kenwood, and the top team in Kentucky- Ballard. They also scheduled Oak Hill but the game was weathered out. The district was not that strong but they did not put themselves in the district and have no option not to play the teams in the district twice. NO ONE in TN., especially in 2A, plays a tougher schedule than CPA. They had a bad game against a good JSS and lost. That happens in basketball. Hate all you want but you lose credibility when you claim they schedule soft.

Thanks. I don't trash talk when we win, or whine when we lose. I enjoy sports, I am a CPA fan for over 20 years, and I enjoy analyzing HS sports. CPA was not unbeatable as proven, and I never said they were. As a matter of fact, I said that if you could shoot well and limit turnovers and CPA steals, you could beat them. Their game is all about transition off of missed shots, TO's and steals. That is how they beat JSS last year, and JSS protected the ball better this year and shot better. Also, despite all the boring discussion about how they are a recruiting machine, they did not have superior talent after their top 4 players. Take 2 of them away with foul trouble and they became an average team.

As far as F5 digging me for something he claimed all football season I said (and didn't), things must be really boring in Tornado land since they got bounced much earlier and football's over. The difference when CPA loses after a great run is that they didn't claim they could not be beat, unlike the Alcoa fans who claimed they were unbeatable before CAK proved then wrong.

Good for you nerd, you were the only regular CPA supporter I've seen (forgive me if I've missed someone) to come back and congratulate SS.  Surely you've heard the whining about bad calls, it just hasn't been done here on coach T. 

As far as the "boring" recruiting talk--there you have it. A single loss by 2 points proves that none of the allegations from the past 6 or 7 years are true.  :rolleyes:  Show me any other school that can put 5 D1 recruits on one basketball team.  Much less a school the size of CPA, without recruiting.

And don't forget about CB, VW, and JL, three other high profile players that weren't even on the current team...

... Also, despite all the boring discussion about how they are a recruiting machine, they did not have superior talent after their top 4 players. Take 2 of them away with foul trouble and they became an average team.

Funny, how a big key loss provides a reality check and brings things back in perspective.  Early on I read about how much depth, how those on the bench would start on other AA teams, how the depth pointed to Maddux's ability as a great coach due to player development.  Not all initiated by nerd, but he was part of it and never disputed the other.  Anyone with a keen basketball eye knew that it wasn't the case, but some people like to talk regardless of how much they really know.  

If those actually understood how basketball culture truly operates, the "recruiting machine" comment actually speaks more about recruiting than the bogus theory of natural attraction (e.g. families will uproot and transfer on their own merely to play for a coach and a championship program.)  In recruiting, there are only so many spots available and when the playing time is dried up, other good players don't want to be a part because they want to be playing.  Lindsey's departure kind of disrupted the apple cart. By the end CPA was 3 points and 1 D1 player short this year of winning it all. 

Good for you nerd, you were the only regular CPA supporter I've seen (forgive me if I've missed someone) to come back and congratulate SS.  Surely you've heard the whining about bad calls, it just hasn't been done here on coach T. 

As far as the "boring" recruiting talk--there you have it. A single loss by 2 points proves that none of the allegations from the past 6 or 7 years are true.  :rolleyes:  Show me any other school that can put 5 D1 recruits on one basketball team.  Much less a school the size of CPA, without recruiting.

Matt610 also congratulated SS.

I just want to state that Jackson SS beating CPA WAS NOT AN UPSET and remind everyone that while two of CPA's big three may have fouled out late, Barford for Jackson SS missed 12 minutes (or something like that) because of foul trouble as well......to imply CPA lost because they just had a bad game is BS...I can easily say Jackson SS DID NOT PLAY IT'S BEST GAME EITHER AND THAT WOULD BE JUST AS VALID BECAUSE IT WOULD BE JUST AS VALID AS THE CPA PLAYED A BAD GAME ARGUMENT.

Jackson SS big three are all going to play D1 just like the three fro CPA. In fact an argument can be made Jackson SS big three (combined) are better college prospects than CPA's......the Soph for CPA might be high major but the other certainly not. Hicks/Mcneal/Barford at worst are all A10 type talents.

I just want to state that Jackson SS beating CPA WAS NOT AN UPSET and remind everyone that while two of CPA's big three may have fouled out late, Barford for Jackson SS missed 12 minutes (or something like that) because of foul trouble as well......to imply CPA lost because they just had a bad game is BS...I can easily say Jackson SS DID NOT PLAY IT'S BEST GAME EITHER AND THAT WOULD BE JUST AS VALID BECAUSE IT WOULD BE JUST AS VALID AS THE CPA PLAYED A BAD GAME ARGUMENT.

Jackson SS big three are all going to play D1 just like the three fro CPA. In fact an argument can be made Jackson SS big three (combined) are better college prospects than CPA's......the Soph for CPA might be high major but the other certainly not. Hicks/Mcneal/Barford at worst are all A10 type talents.

There is a difference between saying a win is an upset and saying the lesser team won. I did not say JSS was the lesser team, nor imply it. The win was an upset not because CPA was the better team, but because they were expected to win by almost everyone, were #1 ranked, defending champs, and were favored. Don't be so sensitive. CPA did not play its best game, but that is usually the case when one good team beats another. Part of what makes a team better than another is being able to play well when you need to, JSS didn't last year, they did this year. CPA didn't give the game away - JSS took it. They are well deserved champions. I don't believe in the statement: "the better team lost". The better team on a given night always wins - that is why they keep score, to determine who is better. By the way, I love JSS's Big 3 and wish them well. They may do better in college, but you should not discount the accomplishments of the CPA seniors. That is classless.

AGAIN, JACKSON SS BEATING CPA WAS NOT AN UPSET...maybe to talking heads that don;t understand basketball but not to people who understand the game. It might be an upset to the Tennessean but to the West Tn papers it wasn't....see what I mean.

State rankings are the most meaningless measure possible. I've seen far lesser teams with high rankings every single season at all levels that would get their brains kicked in by teams that aren't even ranked from far tougher talented districts and areas.

Jackson SS and CPA might split 5 out of 10, I have no idea but what I do know to be an ABSOLUTE fact is this was not and upset and that Jackson SS team has been hungry and has wanted a rematch with CPA for a year now.

This game was even money going in, either team could have won. BUT IT WAS NOT AN UPSET. Hype doesn't always win and overhype is just that overhype......when a game is even money hype is nothing more than BS.

Edited by yankees8589

It wasn't an upset. CPA beating JSS would not of been an upset. I didn't see CPA as this fantastic all star team. When they meet their level of competition, they are not the same team. I saw the Ballard game....Ballard got in their face, just like Southside did. They have one stud and good role players. Alsmiller has lemons and he makes lemonade, thats what he does......spot up 3's. He can't get his own shot. Bonds handles the rock well, he can get to the rack if necessary, but a tough defender can get under his skin. Blackwell is the man, he can do it all. Alsmiller is a liability on defense, when playing someone quick and athletic. Barford had his way with Alsmiller. There is nothing Alsmiller could do about that. McNeal was to fast......period. And Hicks was Hicks. He and Blackwell cancelled each other out. That leaves McNeal and Barford.....and CPA doesn't have two more studs like them. Period. CPA also played in a cake district and region. They missed Jalen Lindsey. #fact.

Even tho "yankees" will label me as not knowing anything about basketball, that was an upset. Both because CPA was favored, and because CPA playing at their best would have blown SS off the floor. I saw CPA at different points during the year, and coming off the meat of their schedule after christmas, they were a different team than the one that finished the season.

Two months of cupcakes would make anyone soft.

I have to take issue with a couple of other points. CPA is not playing who they are forced to play. I am confident that they could take the high road and move up to AAA or D-II and still be competitive (in terms that any reasonable person would consider competitive) they just would not be sending every decent team to the state in every sport, every year. Second, Maddux blamed his opponents for how they were playing when they lost to Ballard. Now, I see the same finger pointed because of the loss to SS. Well, the district they played in was neither the weakest in AA this year, nor the strongest. It was just an average AA district. By choosing the AA road, that is what CPA is going to get. On their path to the State; Waverly, Creekwood, East, and Cheatham were as good opponents as they would have seen anywhere. East certainly proved that.

The only upset in this game are the fans who thought the game was in the bag for CPA. You still have to play the game, that's why you have a scoreboard. In tournaments every team has an equal chance to win. They all have won their Region tournaments to get there. The only reason people get upset is because they think they are better than they really are.