SouthSide vs CPA

big_mike0307

Also sounds like SS had a coach with a game plan and the players to execute it verse CPA; got control of the tempo, played off Blackwell and Bonds and did not give Allsmiller any space, which is exactly what was needed to be done in order to get them in a close game and have a chance to win it at the end.

Interesting how one gets to read how great the program is with a great coach, hardest working team in the state, early morning practices, great commitment, great player development which is proven by its deep bench with those who would start on many other AA teams, yadayadayada, yet I continue to read after all this time there is still a talented perimeter player who can not create his own shot. Those statements do not add up, but there have been a lot of statements that do not add up. But like you said there are a lot of teams each year in the state that need to be recognized for what they have done and accomplished as well.

Also will be interesting to know if the JL article in yesterday's Tennesssean has any future effect on BB's decision to actually stay at CPA the next two years, though early on this year BB was quoted as saying he would not leave.

Coach

I value your opinion, I'm sure you have forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know. However, honestly I don't understand how it can be implied that coach Drew is an average coach due to this loss. I just don't believe CPA was as good as Southside this year. I don't believe it was all just talent which led to 2 straight titles, there had to be some coaching.

I have no argument that west tenn basketball is on the whole stronger than the other parts of the state. Lots of results over time show that to be true. To say SS is "better" than CPA because they win ONE game, with CPA playing poorly, SS on fire, and CPA's two best players not on the floor...

by TWO points? That is more than a stretch. If it wasn't for a couple of missed free throws, SS doesn't even win the title over East.

This is not from a CPA fan. I do not care much for how they get their gold balls. I would not call this year's version a great team. Great teams win close games. That said, I saw both teams playing at their best. CPA playing over 50% of capacity blows SS off the floor.

Coach

I value your opinion, I'm sure you have forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know. However, honestly I don't understand how it can be implied that coach Drew is an average coach due to this loss. I just don't believe CPA was as good as Southside this year. I don't believe it was all just talent which led to 2 straight titles, there had to be some coaching.

I am not implying Coach Maddux is an average coach, there are some things he does well.  I simply speak to the "stuff" the "fan in the stands" say, acting as though they know anything about coaching a high school or college team because they played or did some youth coaching or watch basketball or whatever.  The fact is there are a lot of strong programs and coaches out there and Maddux has had a lot easier road than the high majority due to the talent level he has been able to work with, which makes it a much, much easier road.  Maybe someday I will consider him a very good to great coach once I see him actually compete and defeat teams that have as much or more talent than he has which I have not seen in 8 years.  That is just me, that is my criteria, others may have a different one.  I look at the system and how one competes when one does not possess all the talent advantages.  

Well, I guess the coach at Mercer is better than Coach K because he lost to a team with much less talented players than Duke. Yeh, right!

Of course, I also remember when CPA lost a close game in the semis in 2004 to a less talented team. I guess that was due to an average coach.

Is this your way of not replying to me, but replying to me, even though in the past, (like others) you were done replying to me?  This only shows how little you actually do know about basketball and how those like you try to skew the argument in your/their favor.  No one is talking one game scenarios and to say CPA was more talented than Grace that year could be debatable.  We certainly had enough talent, but we also had some limitations in size and guards who shot it well night in and night out that year.  The strength was athleticism for that level and a pressure system that gave other teams problems.  Grace had a good team, four guys who could score, a little more size and was well coached.  After beating them early in the season by 15 or so, they actually made a nice adjustment against our press that was very effective though we still forced 17 turnovers, but primarily on the half court which did not allow us to get easy baskets in transition.  Our best player had an off game and our two best free throw shooters missed a couple down the stretch they had made all year.  Is that coaching? Maybe it is, but players still need to make plays when they are in a position to do so.  Some might say on a night like that it was coaching that kept a team in the game still with a chance to win.  Regardles of perspective, only an idiot would judge anything based on one game scenarios.  I can mention a lot of firsts that happened and beating teams that had more talent during those years.   

Well, I guess the coach at Mercer is better than Coach K because he lost to a team with much less talented players than Duke. Yeh, right!

Of course, I also remember when CPA lost a close game in the semis in 2004 to a less talented team. I guess that was due to an average coach.

Wolves do not fret over the opinions of sheep.

Also sounds like SS had a coach with a game plan and the players to execute it verse CPA; got control of the tempo, played off Blackwell and Bonds and did not give Allsmiller any space, which is exactly what was needed to be done in order to get them in a close game and have a chance to win it at the end.

Interesting how one gets to read how great the program is with a great coach, hardest working team in the state, early morning practices, great commitment, great player development which is proven by its deep bench with those who would start on many other AA teams, yadayadayada, yet I continue to read after all this time there is still a talented perimeter player who can not create his own shot. Those statements do not add up, but there have been a lot of statements that do not add up.  But like you said there are a lot of teams each year in the state that need to be recognized for what they have done and accomplished as well. 

Also will be interesting to know if the JL article in yesterday's Tennesssean has any future effect on BB's decision to actually stay at CPA the next two years, though early on this year BB was quoted as saying he would not leave.  

Very nice article about JL. Sounds like he made the right decision for himself.  Intitally, I had thought that possible Coach M had helped him make that decision, for his future, however, the twitter silence, and backing out of tournaments, etc., has made me rethink that theory.

BB also has been quoted as saying he's always wanted to go to a Christian school, so it will be interesting to follow him, and see where he ends up. Maybe a phone call from JL's mom to BB's mom will change his mind again.  Wonder if he leaves, if he will get the "twitter silent treatment" as well.

Edited by rulefollower

Best team won. Talent level was better for South Side. Coaching and prep also appeared better. Can't believe the arrogance of CPA fans who refuse to give Southside for a great win. They are better and have a Gold Ball to prove it.

I really didn't see a CPA team that good...SS big three was just as good as CPA's big three. With Lindsey I would put them against anyone in Memphis.

No one could have been happier than me to see CPA lose. And all kudos and credit go to SS for doing it when it counted. But it was a 2 point win, that really hinged on a couple of late calls. Not exactly a statement of dominance. You should enjoy it for what it is.