Tyner beating Baylor got my attention

BillVol

I follow Stump Martin's Facebook and Twitter accounts.  It is @StumpOnSports on Twitter.  Stump is the authority for HS sports in SE Tennessee and N. Georgia.  In fact, he probably knows Memphis better than the Memphis writers.  Anyhow, he posts baseball scores regularly.  Yesterday, I saw Tyner 3, Baylor 0.  Not having followed prep baseball that closely this year, I assumed this was an April Fools joke.  Not so.  Nathan, who works with Stump, replied that Tyner pitcher Shea Butler threw a two-hitter to beat Baylor.  Then, the next day, Tyner and Baylor were tied 3-3 in the 6th before Tyner made a bunch of errors and lost the game.  Nathan commented that Tyner will win their district and possibly their region.  Said they are very good and well coached.  

To me this is a very interesting story.  I asked Nathan when was the last time Tyner beat Baylor.  He guessed '86.  

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one got my attention too, but Tyner is abusing this kid. He pitches complete games 2-3 times a week. He has almost double the innings pitched as any other pitcher in Chattanooga. Talented kid, but its ashame they are abusing his arm this way.

I saw Baylor this year and they are down a little bit - still good but not as good as last years team.  A coach should never pitch (Abuse!) a kid the way you described it - "complete games 2-3 times a week".  

I saw Baylor this year and they are down a little bit - still good but not as good as last years team.  A coach should never pitch (Abuse!) a kid the way you described it - "complete games 2-3 times a week".  

I have been looking at the box scores and notice its routine for him to have at least 2 complete games per week. It looks like they are giving him 48 hours of rest between 125 pitch appearances. Ridiculous if you ask me.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like all of those innings finally wore out the young man's arm this season. I hope a college coach takes a chance on him and develops him correctly and takes care of his great arm in the process.

You have been hard on this coaching staff this year, but to be honest for the record Chae had threw 70 innings going into Saturday's game as well had Gordon Lee's Broom and Broom threw lights out and was part of a no hitter, so maybe Chae was just off because reports were that his velocity was there, but location wasn't which is not a sign of wear but maybe some nerves for the biggest game Tyner has played in a few years.

But with all that said, Chae will be a very good college pitcher wherever he lands!