2014 9AAA

eers

Well Gallatin has had injuries in the past and could still have enough good backups and toughness that they would still prevail and be a tough football team. Lately they are losing to mediocre teams and letting good teams beat them badly, which just shouldn't happen at a football program like that. I can almost guarantee you that in these last 3 seasons of not coaching, Lassiter would not have lost to Portland 2 years ago, & TC last year. Thats just unacceptable

If you can almost guarantee that I will almost guarantee Lassiter would not have beaten Hendersonville the last 2 years or Shelbyville last year. No offense to Lassiter, he did what he could, but several changes have been made since he stepped down that I whole heartedly agree with. Lassiter had a very good record at Gallatin and he was well liked by many. I personally liked him as a person. He was always nice to me and I appreciate that. However, I was not always pleased with what I saw on the field. As you obviously are not in Williams 3 years. I personally like this staff and what they are trying to do. Just like I said when Williams was hired, do not judge him on 1 year, do not judge this team on just 2 games. Give it some time. When this season is over, everybody can and will say what they want. Right now my job as a fan is to support those guys wearing and earning the "G".

While I'll not disagree with the statement about playing sophomores, I will say success at the middle school level doesn't translate to wins at the HS level.  I have watched several Rucker games over the last few years and even though they won, they were undisciplined and playing to win.  Let me clarify "playing to win"... not being taught the nuances of disciplined, assignment football.  Loading up 11 in the box because you know the opponent can't throw, blitzing every play (basically a punt block formation) wins games in Middle School, when you have better athletes.  The flip side of that is it hurts those same kids when the other teams athletes finally catch up and they were taught a system early on...

I don't put a lot of stock in great middle school teams translating to great high school teams.  While I'd rather have a good MS team than an bad one, there are just too many variables to take into consideration.  Some kids who are monsters physically as 8th graders never get any bigger, some kids reach their athletic peak earlier, some kids move/tansfer, some kids lose interest in the sport, some kids transfer in, etc.  In Beech's case, the coaching at Huner Middle is so bad it's hard to tell what you will get coming out of there.

Both of these posts are dead on!  Kudos to Tandem and Eers for being intelligent.  However, the average football fan and football parent don't get it.  They can't see that the overwhelming athletic ability of an 8th grader won't necessarily be there as they get older, unless they continue to work hard and improve.  I think many athletes suffer from the same mentality.  They think that if they are the stud as a middle schooler, then they always will be.  Too many parents fall victim to the belief that their children are superstars early on in life, so if they aren't great later it must be the coaching!

Both of these posts are dead on!  Kudos to Tandem and Eers for being intelligent.  However, the average football fan and football parent don't get it.  They can't see that the overwhelming athletic ability of an 8th grader won't necessarily be there as they get older, unless they continue to work hard and improve.  I think many athletes suffer from the same mentality.  They think that if they are the stud as a middle schooler, then they always will be.  Too many parents fall victim to the belief that their children are superstars early on in life, so if they aren't great later it must be the coaching!

Thank you for the compliment.  The transition from middle school to high school is severe.  The other funny thing I hear is why someone isn't starting as a freshman, they were great last year (as an 8th grader)... or the number of parents that think their child is an SEC caliber player. SMH

That said, coaching does come into play, but more often than what Little Johnny's mom and dad want to think, it's the poor coaching at the youth level and the glorified MS coach that wants to win more than teach the game.  Fundamentals win games... blocking and tackling (with a little help from athletes LOL).

Mjgoldenbears wants to be updated on freshmen/jv scores, so here is his post in the Greenbrier/Portland thread. Thought I would help him get in the right thread :mrgreen:

MJ freshman 42 Portland freshman 0 

There, now its in the right spot. BK, help the feller out lol 

Edited by SOUTHERNFRIED

Thank you for the compliment.  The transition from middle school to high school is severe.  The other funny thing I hear is why someone isn't starting as a freshman, they were great last year (as an 8th grader)... or the number of parents that think their child is an SEC caliber player. SMH

That said, coaching does come into play, but more often than what Little Johnny's mom and dad want to think, it's the poor coaching at the youth level and the glorified MS coach that wants to win more than teach the game.  Fundamentals win games... blocking and tackling (with a little help from athletes LOL).

I think that this is a very good point.  Another thing that gets popular in some middle schools is holding kids back a year when they are in middle school so they get a little bigger before entering high school.  This makes it look like you have a huge team coming up but in all reality you have 7th and 8th graders playing against a freshman team and by the time they are seniors the size part evens out a lot.  I think that this is a terrible thing to do to a kid that will not be in the NFL but should rely on a quality education.  It's really sad how quickly parents can mess up a child's life because they do think they are the next Peyton Manning.  Good luck to everyone this weekend!  After a rainy week I hope you all play on a field with good drainage and stay without injury.  Who is on TV this week?