1A season cancelled. Union City & Nasville Christian to play for title!

gtripledip

Wish I could have seen some of these battles over the last few years. So the next obvious question is.... why don't more schools run variations on the veer? I know the personnel has to be right, but WC and UC don't abandon it one year if the personnel can't execute it, do they?

It seems to me that, coaches now days like to spread the field and throw the ball. I sometimes think it's because the option puts your QB in a lot of danger. The QB will have to run the ball more and take more hits with that type of offense. The key points is to have a strong line, strong and quick dive back, a smart QB, and a fast pitch man. I believe that a 4-4 defense is the best to defend it, or 4-3 with a very good SS that can play as an OLB. I do not think a 5-3 defense is a good idea, especially if the team has a QB that can throw the ball. That's just my 2 cents and that's what it's worth.

It seems to me that, coaches now days like to spread the field and throw the ball. I sometimes think it's because the option puts your QB in a lot of danger. The QB will have to run the ball more and take more hits with that type of offense. The key points is to have a strong line, strong and quick dive back, a smart QB, and a fast pitch man. I believe that a 4-4 defense is the best to defend it, or 4-3 with a very good SS that can play as an OLB. I do not think a 5-3 defense is a good idea, especially if the team has a QB that can throw the ball. That's just my 2 cents and that's what it's worth.

I believe you have a good idea with that 4-4defense but it is still very difficult to duplicate in practice. The scout team qb usually can't do what the opposition qb can in practice. Of course when you load the box 2 things can happen. One: the dive back breaks through the initial line of attack and scampers downfield for a big gain or Two:the qb launches a pass for another big gain. You kinda have to pick your poison. The best thing is to force turnovers and score every opportunity that you get. Take a running team out of thier element and you have a good chance to beat them. Once again easier said than done.

I believe you have a good idea with that 4-4defense but it is still very difficult to duplicate in practice. The scout team qb usually can't do what the opposition qb can in practice. Of course when you load the box 2 things can happen. One: the dive back breaks through the initial line of attack and scampers downfield for a big gain or Two:the qb launches a pass for another big gain. You kinda have to pick your poison. The best thing is to force turnovers and score every opportunity that you get. Take a running team out of thier element and you have a good chance to beat them. Once again easier said than done.

Oh yeah, it's pretty much impossible to duplicate in practice with the JV. That's how it is in 1A, the scout team is made of freshman and sophomores.

Lots of good information about the "veer". Didn't know much about it. What others teams use it. I agree most teams have gone to some form of the spread offense. I do know of teams that run some version of the Wing-T, which is based on misdirection. Is the "veer" more of an option offense? I will also agree that in most 1A programs, the 2nd offense or defense doesn't put much of a battle for the First team offense/defense. Actually the first team offenses is usually at-least 5-8 players on the first team defense. Iron man football.

Lots of good information about the "veer". Didn't know much about it. What others teams use it. I agree most teams have gone to some form of the spread offense. I do know of teams that run some version of the Wing-T, which is based on misdirection. Is the "veer" more of an option offense? I will also agree that in most 1A programs, the 2nd offense or defense doesn't put much of a battle for the First team offense/defense. Actually the first team offenses is usually at-least 5-8 players on the first team defense. Iron man football.

The veer is just another term for triple option. It was actually named the veer before ppl started saying triple option.

Wing T and such are all versions for the veer. We run the midline veer. A lot like Georgia tech. The military teams use it as well. In the NCAA teams can match up athletically but still have problems stopping the relentless ground attack. Like you mentioned in 1A football the Iron man style of play takes a toll on the defense especially late in the game. When a team just keeps pounding you with one grinding play after another the defense gets tired. Then the long runs down the sidelines happen more frequently.

The veer is just another term for triple option. It was actually named the veer before ppl started saying triple option.

The veer is a formation, and in fact are several variation of it including but not limited to the split veer, offset veer etc.  There are other formations that run the triple option as well such as the wishbone and I-bone. 

Edited by rlh

The veer is a formation, and in fact are several variation of it including but not limited to the split veer, offset veer etc.  There are other formations that run the triple option as well such as the wishbone and I-bone. 

confucius say...you should be a coach with all your wisdom...but its you analality that prevents you from doing so...that anal retention will get you constipated you know?