Is there such thing as too much football?

runtheball

When you see numbers down in so many schools I wonder if too much is being asked of players. I love football,but football is a much more demanding sport to practice. I know practice is necessary,but football practice is not as much fun as other sports. I know some schools have been practicing for 4 weeks now. Seven to eight weeks is a long time before first game. I would like to see thoughts about this. What if anything can be done to get kids to participate? 

Run I don't think it's too much football. To me it's AAU sports. Kids used to play two or three sports. Coaches supported this because kids were active and stayed out of trouble. Now these outside voices are filling kids heads with garbage and telling them to focus on one sport. On top of that these voices are not in the building checking grades and character. It's become a mess and is probably going to get worse.

Great topic in my opinion. Every area is a little different as is every situation and every kid. In no real order here are my reasons why less kids may be participating:

1) cost-times are hard and participation is usually not free

2) jobs-due to #1

3) concussions

4) lack of community in many areas

5) many more things to do-more activities offered

6) college costs force more dedicated time to academics

Hopefully it is cyclical.

Run I don't think it's too much football. To me it's AAU sports. Kids used to play two or three sports. Coaches supported this because kids were active and stayed out of trouble. Now these outside voices are filling kids heads with garbage and telling them to focus on one sport. On top of that these voices are not in the building checking grades and character. It's become a mess and is probably going to get worse.

I agree with you.My oldest son wanted to play football and the HS Basketball coach at the time talked him out of it,said he wanted him at all spring and summer basketball event AAU leagues in a small school like we have at GB we need all athletes in every sport they can play.Also moms and dads think little Jonny is the next Michael Jordan and dont want them to get hurt and ruin their (college)chances???

I agree with you.My oldest son wanted to play football and the HS Basketball coach at the time talked him out of it,said he wanted him at all spring and summer basketball event AAU leagues in a small school like we have at GB we need all athletes in every sport they can play.Also moms and dads think little Jonny is the next Michael Jordan and dont want them to get hurt and ruin their (college)chances???

I think any coach should be fired if he encourages any student to play just his sport. AAU may have started all this one sport year round junk  and baseball may have joined in,but football will never be able to compete with this mentality. Football coaches will never win this one sport battle with most athletes simply because it is a tougher sport and requires more physically from them. Football is not a fun sport to practice for the most part. I hope most football coaches want players to play as many sports as possible in high school. Moms and Dads need to realize that if their son is talented enough to play in college he will get offered. Playing year round vs. the regular season will not make a huge difference for most. Seven weeks is a long time to practice football before the first game. Two weeks in helmets,one week in shoulder pads and helmets,then four weeks in full gear is a lot prior to fist game. I know a team that last year did not participate in passing league, spent 3 days in helmets prior to full pads and went 12-1.  

Edited by runtheball

Sometimes it is the football coaches who are the problem. I know several baseball players who have to do extra running for both their football and basketball coaches because they are playing competitive summer baseball out of town causing them to miss many of the summer football and basketball workouts. Some kids are saying enough is enough.

Edited by strongx

Sometimes it is the football coaches who are the problem. I know several baseball players who have to do extra running for both their football and basketball coaches because they are playing competitive summer baseball out of town causing them to miss many of the summer football and basketball workouts. Some kids are saying enough is enough.

I agree,coaches are sometimes the biggest problem.