Signal Mountain @ Notre Dame

Booger

Can you ND folks state with confidence that no student-athletes there receive any financial aid from any source?

they get the multiplier for being private with student aide, its within the rules....,nothing more to dicuss. Only athletic scholarships schools currently have to play in D1 and D11 Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

they get the multiplier for being private with student aide, its within the rules....,nothing more to dicuss. Only athletic scholarships schools currently have to play in D1 and D11

Wait. Now I am confused. I thought D1 was all public schools and privates who did not provide financial aide to its athletes.  D2 was private schools that gave financial aid to students whether they are athletes or not.  Am I incorrect?

My son said he heard this was the first game in Signal's history that they did score a TD?

True???

D

Yes. And only the second district loss in 6 years.  The leprechaun defense played their assignments and did as they were coached by a very good defensive coordinator.  I'll say it again, hats off to them on a solid win.  Without the two stops in the first half, it would have been 14-14 at halftime; and, without the stop in the third quarter, it would have been 21-21 going into the fourth quarter.  Those three stops inside the five by the defense set the tone and won the game.  Our guys didn't respond well to adversity, and they realize that now.  Hopefully, that butt whipping will help us the rest of the way.

"BOOGER"

I wish I could have seen the game (missed it due to being hospitalized and I'm still here) I spoke to one of your coaches before the game and congratulated another one right after the game.  Sounds like you guys owned the everything that night, just bask in the sunlight and we will meet again later. GO EAGLES !!!!

Stay way from trolls while you are in the hospital. Might be there longer. Have a speedy recovery!

they get the multiplier for being private with student aide, its within the rules....,nothing more to dicuss. Only athletic scholarships schools currently have to play in D1 and D11

Wait. Now I am confused. I thought D1 was all public schools and privates who did not provide financial aide to its athletes.  D2 was private schools that gave financial aid to students whether they are athletes or not.  Am I incorrect?

You're both kind of right.

T$$AA By-Laws absolutely prohibit any school from giving "athletic" scholarships.  All financial aide given to an athlete must be "needs-based" and the student's financial "need" must be determined by one of several national organizations.  If any athlete in any sport receives this "need-based" financial aide, the school must play in Division II.  Division I private schools can give any type of financial aide they wish to non-athletes, but athletes' tuitions must be the sole responsibility of the athletes' families.  That is the distinction between Divisions I and II.

The multiplier that is applied to DI privates is supposed to account for their ability to accept kids from anywhere. (ie. no school zone).  That is why some people argue that the multiplier should also apply to "open zone" public schools.

The argument for the public/private split centers around the way some Division I private schools skirt the financial aide prohibition with "work-study programs", "tuition discounts", and in the case of the catlick schools "parish tuition subsidies" paid by the Catholic School Deanery to the school on a student's behalf.

Edited by MountainTroll
  • Upvote 1