MOST UNDERATED! MEMPHIS EAST

No BHS, you are wrong!

Some people just love competition, but you probably wouldn't understand that.

I don't see us as a program that is struggling for money. Our kids don't want for anything. We have one of the best, if not the best weight rooms amongst city programs, our uniforms are nice, we have a good booster club, our former players help a lot, and we have our own training room that is staffed. So money is no issue for football at East. We just enjoy the competition. It is no fun bashing the heck out of lesser schools week in and week out. Plus, I don't think our kids would receive as good an opportunity to  attract schools for scholarships if we move down. That's the main reason Coach doesn't want to move down. Plus we do pretty well with you big schools, so we are ok.

What's up eastMustang! I knew you wouldn't be able to stay silent! I know you tried. I was hoping you would surface. I agree wholeheartedly with your statement that is made bold.

The Whaitehaven administration and coaching staff have collectively decided that they aren't going to play some of these big schools without home/home contracts. They want the Whitehavens's, and the East's, and the Ridgeway's to come to their place but they refuse to return the favor and come play at our home. Why on earth would we want to continue to do that? Why on earth does Ridgeway ALWAYS have to travel to Henry County? Don't get me wrong, I know why the coach allows it to happen and I'm not mad at him ... but you know and I know that it shouldn't be like that. That's why Whitehaven did the travel games. But, it doesn't matter. It is what it is. I just wish that some folks could see the forest, and not just focus on the trees.

By the way, I watched your old East Mustang handle his business on national TV when Mississippi State beat Auburn. The folks at CBS had nothing but good things to say about Will Redmond. He represented the 'M-town' really well. The DC for Mississippi State put him on lock-down on Auburn's best WR in #18. Will was making plays all over the field.

Edited by kwc

You think Houston, G-Town or any of those Former county schools want to play us in a home and home? You're Silly! When they moved out of our district they were happy and thought they would be done with us until the playoffs (they were fine with that)... Problem for them is Ridgeway is playing the role in 15AAA that we would be playing if we were still playing district games against them... BTW, people from Collierville, G-Town, etc pretend to be scared (fans I mean) to come to the 38116. Where's the Money...

Millington, man please, that was a money game for both schools in the late 90s to early 2000s ONLY.

Henry Co, just off of this message board talk, may decide to sign that home and home, but I am sure they didn't think about it beforehand.

What Whitehaven should/would do is have a Boarder Classic, Involving Southaven, Olive Branch and/or Horn Lake along with Hilcrest and maybe Mitchell or Ridgeway or Hamilton. Let Desoto Co come to Da Haven and get whooped on. That would be plenty of money.

Bhs that ideal was shot down way back when they first started the bridges classic... the original plan was to get the best schools in ms (OB, SP, S'haven) to play the best schools in the city at that time, da haven, da mound, ridgeway but the MS schools wanted no part of it...it we gone be televised as well. .. but it wound up being private vs city...I know because I was On the staff. I worked with Kevin kanes assistant. .. with dr. Hunter he wants what's fair. If we come to you, you come to us, but that seem to be the issue with some schools. ..

Bhs that ideal was shot down way back when they first started the bridges classic... the original plan was to get the best schools in ms (OB, SP, S'haven) to play the best schools in the city at that time, da haven, da mound, ridgeway but the MS schools wanted no part of it...it we gone be televised as well. .. but it wound up being private vs city...I know because I was On the staff. I worked with Kevin kanes assistant. .. with dr. Hunter he wants what's fair. If we come to you, you come to us, but that seem to be the issue with some schools. ..

That would have been nice to have Played OB or USP instead of MUS, even though that was a memorable game, it would have been cooler had we played them Miss "Powerhouses"... We Scrimmaged OB back in my playing days but like you said, these folks don't want that Home and Home... Sad. I hate that people keep saying Da Haven like beating up on the little guys, the big boys (IMHO) too scared (Coaches and ADs). The Players want the games.

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

Folks need to wake up and smell the coffee. You need to ask yourself this question. Why is it that every time RIDGEWAY plays Henry County in the regular season ... that game is at Henry County. Why is it that every time East plays BRIARCREST or ECS, the game is played at BRIARCREST or ECS? White Station has traveled to South Panola ... TWICE. When has South Panola come to Memphis to play White Station? Any time any Memphis City school plays against MUS or CBHS ... the games are played at MUS or CBHS (Or the Liberty Bowl during the BKC).

Smell the coffee folks. IF the urban black school DOESN'T travel to play at those schools stadiums/fields/venues during the regular season. The game DOES NOT HAPPEN.

PERIOD. (There are a few exceptions ... but they are VERY, Very few)

Now ask yourself the question ... "Why do you think that is?"

Regardless of the answer ... why continue to be 'PUT UPON' when you don't have to?

If your program needs the money, then by all means, get the payday. BUT ... if you are not poor and destitute ... why do it and train the younger generation that these parameters are acceptable? These parameters are NOT acceptable. They are downright INSULTING! Take a stand. I know you want to play good competition ... but at what price?

Wake up!

Edited by kwc

KWC,

I do understand your point, and mind you, I'm on the outside looking in. From our perspective, in recent years while trying to build our program back up, we decided to play some of those games. We felt that in order to build our fan base back up and prestige so to speak, then we had to play against certain schools. We didn't have the fan base (like you do) to dictate terms, but we felt we would eventually get to a point where we would be able to. It has helped us to attract better players, better assistant coaches, and increase fan attendance. Now we are in a position to do that I believe, so it will be interesting to see what East comes up with the next two years. In saying that, in order to get to the point to dictate terms, you must just make the game happen regardless and beat them. Then you hold ALL the cards. You say you are not strapped for cash, so give the people what they want. Go to Batesville and beat them. Play Hoover or whoever else wants some. Get your national ranking up, and then I'm sure you won't have a problem scheduling some of the bigger named Southern schools. May even attract some ESPN games. I would love to see a Memphis school ranked in the top 25 nationally in all publications. In order to do that, you have to play other top natioinal teams. Just staying in the Memphis area is not enough, that is, if that is you alls ambition. But like I said, I don't know the inside scoop. Just giving perspective from an outsider.

KWC,

I do understand your point, and mind you, I'm on the outside looking in. From our perspective, in recent years while trying to build our program back up, we decided to play some of those games. We felt that in order to build our fan base back up and prestige so to speak, then we had to play against certain schools. We didn't have the fan base (like you do) to dictate terms, but we felt we would eventually get to a point where we would be able to. It has helped us to attract better players, better assistant coaches, and increase fan attendance. Now we are in a position to do that I believe, so it will be interesting to see what East comes up with the next two years. In saying that, in order to get to the point to dictate terms, you must just make the game happen regardless and beat them. Then you hold ALL the cards. You say you are not strapped for cash, so give the people what they want. Go to Batesville and beat them. Play Hoover or whoever else wants some. Get your national ranking up, and then I'm sure you won't have a problem scheduling some of the bigger named Southern schools. May even attract some ESPN games. I would love to see a Memphis school ranked in the top 25 nationally in all publications. In order to do that, you have to play other top natioinal teams. Just staying in the Memphis area is not enough, that is, if that is you alls ambition. But like I said, I don't know the inside scoop. Just giving perspective from an outsider.

Maryville, the premier large public school program in the state Hardly ever (IF EVER) plays big name/big time Out of state powers (I think they should play someone from NC, VA, GA or KY if not another TN Powerhouse Program)... They stay in their area (Knoxville and surrounding areas) and dominate yet they get NATIONALLY ranked... If they not doing it why would Whitehaven HAVE to? We are in competition with MARYVILLE and to a lesser degree Oakland and Blackman, not the Nation... Besides, Whitehaven HAS went out of the area... Went to the Midwest 3 years in a row (St. Rita Win, East St. Louis Win, SHG, Loss) and still no Respect! Respect meaning HOME and HOME from the Southern Powerhouse Programs, period.

So your outsider perspective now has more depth.

In Memphis-ese, 'Mayne, you know what it is, so quit flodggin'. Da Haven aint barrin' none, these folks duckin' us.'

Thank you, Read my Signature  :ugeek:

Maryville, the premier large public school program in the state Hardly ever (IF EVER) plays big name/big time Out of state powers (I think they should play someone from NC, VA, GA or KY if not another TN Powerhouse Program)... They stay in their area (Knoxville and surrounding areas) and dominate yet they get NATIONALLY ranked... If they not doing it why would Whitehaven HAVE to? We are in competition with MARYVILLE and to a lesser degree Oakland and Blackman, not the Nation... Besides, Whitehaven HAS went out of the area... Went to the Midwest 3 years in a row (St. Rita Win, East St. Louis Win, SHG, Loss) and still no Respect! Respect meaning HOME and HOME from the Southern Powerhouse Programs, period.

So your outsider perspective now has more depth.

In Memphis-ese, 'Mayne, you know what it is, so quit flodggin'. Da Haven aint barrin' none, these folks duckin' us.'

Thank you, Read my Signature  :ugeek:

All I can say is do as Maryville has done. Dominate your area and win a LOT of State Championships (They have 10 since 2000). At the end of the day, that what really matters, who wins the Gold Ball. They have done this over a long period of time. So their body of work merits their ranking.

Edited by eastMustang

There are 2 major differences in Whitehaven and Maryville...#1 we actually don't get all the top talent in the area. We are in competition with several schools. Look at the emergence of central, we lose players to mitchell, melrose and a couple other schools. . We get a good bunch but not many as people think. Maryville get all the kids from they area. . And because the talent is spread out it makes the competition alot tougher. ... getting past that 3rd round is hard as heck over here in the west...there are alot of good teams over here where as you basically have the same teams winning all the gamesoin east TN... they have a thread now where folk are more admitting the games are lopsided and people are complaining because the fans don't come out anymore because they know it will be a blowout. ..our games stay packed because people know they gone see a great game. We haven't played a game this year that hasn't been jam packed!! Come Friday nite and take notice. ...

There are 2 major differences in Whitehaven and Maryville...#1 we actually don't get all the top talent in the area. We are in competition with several schools. Look at the emergence of central, we lose players to mitchell, melrose and a couple other schools. . We get a good bunch but not many as people think. Maryville get all the kids from they area. . And because the talent is spread out it makes the competition alot tougher. ... getting past that 3rd round is hard as heck over here in the west...there are alot of good teams over here where as you basically have the same teams winning all the gamesoin east TN... they have a thread now where folk are more admitting the games are lopsided and people are complaining because the fans don't come out anymore because they know it will be a blowout. ..our games stay packed because people know they gone see a great game. We haven't played a game this year that hasn't been jam packed!! Come Friday nite and take notice. ...

Are you serious? Maryville gets all the top talent in the area? LMBO at your ridiculous statement. Have you EVER heard of Alcoa? Their talent level is typically as good if not better than Maryville's, and they are 3.5 miles from Maryville NHigh School. If that were the case then the one state title that was given to you by a rogue official would have never happen. Combine the Maryville-Alcoa talent with the Maryville coaching staff and it wouldn't even be worth watching. Ask your buddy BHS about all those Ritchie Cumminghams. SMH at some of this non-sense. 

But when its all said and done,I personally thinks East has the best team in the state this year.Why? because of Ray Taylor and Vasco Curry jr., have yall seen these two.I havent seen no dlinemen like those to in 20+ years. if one dont knock you silly the other will. Drew from MUS #1 player in the state did not want none of them at the NFTC-Birmingham,and Vasco got to go to The Opening.

Vasco Curry Jr. D.Linemen M.V.P NFTC-BIRMINGHAM

DEFENSE WIN CHAMPIONSHIP

Edited by nmpballer

KWC,

eastMustang:

I understand your viewpoint. When building your program you were seeking marquee games that would get your program noticed. Playing the Briarcrest's of the world warranted playing at theri facility because we all know they weren't going to come to your place and play or return the favor. That being said ... Memphis East, Ridgeway, Whitehaven, Memphis Central, and possibly Trezevant have been consistantly winning and are now going deep into the play-offs. Melrose is building it's program as well. All of these schools are large enough with student and alum support to be able to create alternatives that aren't so one sided contractually. All I'm saying is that there should be some sort of concerted effort to try and play a home/home or neutral site if going to certain venues just scares some folks to death, or whatever reason that is given for them not coming to our place to play. There has got to be a happy medium. To dictate that the games must be played at certain venues is just unacceptable.

I also know that as your reputation grows, it may be harder and harder to get games against top competition anyway, especially the way the TSSAA system has been set-up these past few years. Next year is going to be interesting for Whitehaven with the brand new Super 6A thing. I honestly don't think teams are dodging each other. I don't think that CBHS is dodging East, or that MUS is dodging Whitehaven. THAT I don't believe. Those games would happen every year. They would just be played at CBHS and MUS. I don't know. It seems that every time Trezevant plays Southaven ... it's at Southaven. We all know coach Telli is looking for good teams to play OOC as well.

I know that the Whitehaven administration has decided that contracts are going to be fair. We play at our facility and then the next game we travel to your facility. We aren't dodging anybody. You SEE how many games agaisn't top competition out of conference we have on the shedule. I'm not imagining this because I witnessed it with my own two eyes. Back when there were five classifications and the region was made up of teams all in the same classification. It was OBVIOUS then. When the game was played at their facility (Houston, Germantown, Collierville) ... packed house, Elbow to elbow ... concessions just making all kinds of money. The next year with the game being at Whitehaven ... tumbleweeds on the opposing sides stands. Elbow to elbow on our side ... parents of players mostly on the other side ... and not all of the players had representation at the game. The gate suffered. The concessioned suffered. It was night and day. THAT happened on a regular basis. So, when the TSSAA changed from 5 classes to 6 creating the current format with all of the county/municipality schools basically playing each other and the City schools playing each other ... there were certain schools rejoicing (Reference to what BHS stated earlier in this thread). So now, they come to Whitehaven during the play-offs if thats how things shake out. When that happens ... their support is minimal, because they aren't going to come to the facility.

That being said ... it just makes sense to play teams that WANT to come to your facility as much as you would like to travel to theirs ... otherwise ... it's just a waste of everybody's time and effort. Even if contracts are signed ... would the fans/parents/students come and spend money? If not ... why even do it? I'd much rather play Mitchell, or Fairley to whom I know we can do a home/home contract and both schools benefit from the game. The smaller school gets a payday and it generates local interest. There are plenty of teams in the City that are good quality teams that we will pit ourselves against that will get us prepared to play in the post season. The district is deep and talented. I love that Ridgeway plays us Out Of District. Why enter into a contract with somebody that DOESN'T really want to enter into that contract?

Again, I understand your viewpoint and I'm not knocking your approach. I'll be glad when all of th strong City programs don't feel the need to have to submit to terms that aren't contractually equal. There are alternatives that I think will still create games people want to see without feeling like you have to acquiesce to terms that aren't reciprocated.

Edited by kwc