MOST UNDERATED! MEMPHIS EAST

monetarily

With his experience I'm sure he can get it done. Why is he choosing to start charter schools as opposed to working within the current system? Didn't the city have it's own school system that was taken over by Shelby county? Was he opposed to that and that's why he's starting the charter schools?

It's business, plain and simple. No, the City gave up it's charter, it wasn't taken away. The City and the County could never agree on things educationally. Money being the biggest issue. The City wanted to consolidate the two school systems. The County wanted NO PART of the City's schools system. Since the City is IN the County, it was if the City was paying double. The County didn't want the City's test scores to be included with their scores ... it would pull them down. Then there were other issues that don't need mentioning. All and all, the City School board forced the County's hand by surrendering it's charter. The County had no choice but to consolidate the City Schools into their system, because the City Schools are in the county. That's it in a nutshell. The County residents didn't like it. A lot of the City residents didn't like it. But, the two were not going to colaborate or consolidate otherwise. Now ... they have to work together, like it or not. Depends upon who you talk to about the subject. It can get really nasty. Then ... that's par for the course in these parts.

Charter schools were introduced recently. They got unilateral support if I'm not mistaken. This came from the State legislature and the governer's office if I remember correctly. They went into effect two years ago I think. Dr. Herrenton is provding a service. This is business for him. He's a highly educated man with connections fom his time as the City's Mayor and he has the cache, know how, experience, and credentials from his time as being the Superintendent of the Memphis City School system. He's in the business of providing alternative educational venues for those who want something different. He has located most of his institutions in low performing areas and he's giving experienced educators, as well as, recent educator graduates, opportunities they may not have otherwise had, especially with the County taking over the City's school system. The reason he's building an education empire in Memphis is because he can supply what is in demand. It just makes sense, monetarily, and educationally. There is no one, who is a native Memphian, who could do this better. I'm sure there are some businessmen who may be able to do this from a business side, but they would lack the educational background part of it. He has both, plus the political prowess needed to get things done. He's doing it because an opportunity presented itself that fit him to a 'T'.

Edited by kwc

Thank you for the response, very interesting to read. Sounds like he's doing a good thing in Memphis. And if he's making some money off it then good for him. Do you know if the charter schools receive government money, if the kids pay tuition, or a combination of both? I could stop being lazy and research myself, but I always enjoy your answers

Thank you for the response, very interesting to read. Sounds like he's doing a good thing in Memphis. And if he's making some money off it then good for him. Do you know if the charter schools receive government money, if the kids pay tuition, or a combination of both? I could stop being lazy and research myself, but I always enjoy your answers

I don't know exactly. That is something you will probably have to research.