MOST UNDERATED! MEMPHIS EAST

Season Averages  Q1   Q2   Q3   Q4   Final                        

Memphis East   7.8  9.7  11.3  9.0   36.3
       Whitehaven   4.6  6.6   6.2  11.8  29.0    
stats from Maxprep
lt looks like they have to put up more than 29 points or they lose.East is a point scoring machine.(in my Hulk Hogan Voice)So what you gonna do when those MUSTANGS run all over you. :motorbike:  
Edited by nmpballer

Good question. School systems are delicate things just like the eco system. It takes years of abuse before it is realized that the status quo is doing more damage then realized. It took this nation way too long to create the EPA in the 70's to regulate large corporations and municipalities that were, and still are, polluting our waterays to the point that every day citizens were and are being adversly affected. Still to this day there are corporate entities that are trying to deregulate and cripple the EPA in any way they can, just so they can profit by polluting with the waste by-products of what ever they manufacture. Believe me, they are powerful enough to get Presidents elected. I got on my soapbox on that topic to state this concerning school sytems. I don't know if the charter schools are doing more harm then they are doing good, scholastically. I know they have an impact on sporting institutions such as football and basketball from a numbers perspective ... but I'm more concerned about how these institutions affect the learning and progression of young people intelectually. If the schools produce more grauates that are better prepared to become viable functioning citizens with better chances to enter and graduate from higher education institutions because of better performances on standardize tests and college entrance exams ... then I'm all for them. The problem with that is it will take time to actually determine the benefits vs down sides to the charter schools.

However, I had heard that several schools were going to be closed to consolidate them with others. For instance, I had heard that Westwood was suppose to be closed and those students were to be assigned to Mitchell. I had also heard that Northside was to be closed and those students were to be assigned to BTW. I think those types of things will help in the efforts to which you are intimating. But, I don't know if those thoughts were initiated by the old City of Memphis School Board that is now defunct, or if that was generated by the current Shelby County School Board that runs the whole shebang. Then there is the concern for the educators. I know way too many school teachers who were/are on pins and needles concerning their futures. Does senority or tenure have any importance or weight when considering assigning these educators to new schools ... or does it hurt them because the current school system may be looking for younger more recent graduates? If the current school sysytem is trading out the old models for the newer versions, then a lot of these educators are turning to the charter systems for employment and they bring with them what the newer school teachers don't have ... experience.

I'm all for empowering the high school graduate to become a better equiped person once leaving high school, and I don't know if the current situation helps or hurts where that is concerned.

Honestly, I could care less about watering down talent pools per school. But I also think it is better to consolidate resources where ever possible. It just makes sense to combine two neighboring schools that have low enrollments to create a larger school that can facilitate all involved. You can combine the teaching pool as well. The problem becomes ... which school do you close and which set of administrators do they tell that they are now out of a job after 5, 10, 15 or more years of service to the community. Those are the tough decisions that have to be made by the current school board. I'm glad that's not my job.

This is an interesting topic to me. Are there many charter schools in Memphis? Charter schools and voucher programs get a lot of support where I'm at. But I don't know how informed people are on the subject. I don't believe there are any charter schools in sevier county. Only a couple in Knox that I know of. I believe there is one opening up in blount. Who pays for the school? Do charters have their own teams? Are students allowed to play with a public school if their school doesn't have a team? And congrats to whitehaven on their win last night.

This is an interesting topic to me. Are there many charter schools in Memphis? Charter schools and voucher programs get a lot of support where I'm at. But I don't know how informed people are on the subject. I don't believe there are any charter schools in sevier county. Only a couple in Knox that I know of. I believe there is one opening up in blount. Who pays for the school? Do charters have their own teams? Are students allowed to play with a public school if their school doesn't have a team? And congrats to whitehaven on their win last night.

Yes, there are a lot of charter schools here in Memphis and there are more to come. I don't know the exact number but there are quite a number of them. One reason being we have an ex-mayor (4 1/2 terms in office) who was the Superintendent of the City school system for over 12 years (maybe more) who has a hand in quite a few of them and he's going to create more. I'm not sure of the number, but I think he has 9 that are up and functional. I think his original projection that he was trying to get going from day one was 20, but I could be mistaken. However, he's not the only person who is creating and institutionalizing charter schools, but he is a major player. Throw in his Superintendent and Mayoral experience, he knows what he is doing and how to get it done.

Yes, there are a lot of charter schools here in Memphis and there are more to come. I don't know the exact number but there are quite a number of them. One reason being we have an ex-mayor (4 1/2 terms in office) who was the Superintendent of the City school system for over 12 years (maybe more) who has a hand in quite a few of them and he's going to create more. I'm not sure of the number, but I think he has 9 that are up and functional. I think his original projection that he was trying to get going from day one was 20, but I could be mistaken. However, he's not the only person who is creating and institutionalizing charter schools, but he is a major player. Throw in his Superintendent and Mayoral experience, he knows what he is doing and how to get it done.

With his experience I'm sure he can get it done. Why is he choosing to start charter schools as opposed to working within the current system? Didn't the city have it's own school system that was taken over by Shelby county? Was he opposed to that and that's why he's starting the charter schools?