Pearl Cohn Vs East Nashville @vandy Oct17th

FBfan26

You are right about one thing. The majority of metro coaches would love to have the athletes that Pearl has! Hillsboro, Cane Ridge and McGavock may be the exceptions to that. I would put Overton in there buts it's just a matter of time before the big man works his magic if the head coach doesn't get in the way!

PC wins because of athletes period. And the coaches don't work any harder at PC than in several other metro schools. Give that talent to other coaches and firebird fans would be happy. PC does a good job and the coaches are a part of that but let's be honest it's the Jimmy and Joe's at PC that make the difference.

Come on now Work! These athletes can't go out there and win games without some kind of coaching. I know for a fact that pearl coaching staff puts in work with these kids day in and day out.

You are right about one thing. The majority of metro coaches would love to have the athletes that Pearl has! Hillsboro, Cane Ridge and McGavock may be the exceptions to that. I would put Overton in there buts it's just a matter of time before the big man works his magic if the head coach doesn't get in the way!

Would that be the same "big man" that use to work his "magic" at PCU?

Firebird I think you misunderstood me. Not knocking the coaches. I'm sure they do work hard. But your fellow fan said they put in more time than most. Don't know if that is true for the better programs. The big difference is the players though. Vaughns are zoned for CR. Would PC be the same without them. That's the best example of jimmys and Joe's I can think of.

transfer but don't know if the big man had anything to do with it.

Work, I believe you got a transfer out of that also. Cane Ridge lost several players over the summer. To call out Vaughn for being zoned to Cane Ridge is wrong. Pearl Cohn has a magnet school just like yours. Every kid in your building is "zoned" for somewhere else. Be careful how you speak out against it since it applies to your situation as well.

Jimmys and Joes are the reason for EVERY team's success. I have known plenty of coaches that worked very hard and had excellent knowledge of the game but were never blessed to have outstanding talent or were unwilling to "bend" the rules to bring it in. I have also known some absolutely CLUELESS coaches that were successful simply because they were loaded with players and stayed out of the way. When a coach starts thinking his team is successful because of himself he should just reach up and slap the piss out of himself.

The true test of a coach is not wins and losses but the journey of the season. How much did they improve from beginning to end. Anybody can out-athlete another team but can they take a less talented team and prepare them to be successful?

I hope all Metro teams are successful AS LONG AS THEY ARE DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY. However, if they are not I will not hesitate to let them know. Win (and lose) with class. The kids will remember the lessons you teach them way more than how many yards you left them in to get. 

Firebird I think you misunderstood me. Not knocking the coaches. I'm sure they do work hard. But your fellow fan said they put in more time than most. Don't know if that is true for the better programs. The big difference is the players though. Vaughns are zoned for CR. Would PC be the same without them. That's the best example of jimmys and Joe's I can think of.

I can't speak on what other coaches do with there program! But I can speak on Pearl and they do work hard with our kids. Far as Vaughn he's a big part of our success but others have a big role also. If the line don't block he won't have 1300 yards. If we can't throw the ball teams will stack the line and and make it difficult for him also. So what I'm saying is we play as team and that's the difference from last year's team also. Everybody plays a big part in his success it's not just vaughn and he'll tell you that.

Drknows I agree with some of what you said. I used Vaughn as an example because he is an explosive player and huge difference maker. It was just an example. There are many more from all over the district. But to clarify for you I didn't get a transfer from anywhere. I don't have a building. Wish I could have a building and just bring in whomever I wanted to teach and coach and get some others to help and do the same. I guess that would be either a charter school or private school and I don't have the time or money to do all of that. Maybe if I did I could convince you to come help. I would need someone who knows stuff.

Comparing PC to HF, MLK, and EN is a joke and you know it. All three are academic magnet schools. HF and MLK have high academic standards in order to qualify. EN is a lottery school with an emphasis on the Paideia philosophy. What requirements are used to get into PC.

As far as the rest I agree. It's what I learned from a pretty good source.

Edited by workinprogress