Week 7: Oneida @ Oliver Springs

crow

Everybody! :lol:

Seriously, that's tough to say until the picture clears up a little. Obviously GCA is the elephant in the room but Hampton, Rockwood, Marion Co., Trousdale are just a few on the list anyone in the quad will have to deal with. Wouldn't overlook Boyd either. It'll be easier to draw a bead on it in a couple more weeks.

I got ya. I know I'm pulling for you guys and want to see you guys represent the east.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got ya. I know I'm pulling for you guys and want to see you guys represent the east.

We appreciate that & so would I. There are a bunch of really good teams between here & there though. All I ask is the boys play with great heart, tremendous effort and conduct themselves with pride, class and character. The wins and losses will be what they'll be.

Oneida even being in the discussion in the East is a testament to our kids can do attitude.  We have lost arguably the fastest kid on the team and perhaps the surest ball carrier on the team (rare instance where he ever fumbles).  Both Seniors.....and both high quality individuals.  To remain in the discussion over here, the rest of the team has to continue to rally past those two losses.  I'm with Crow......regardless of where the road stops or even if we showed up in Cookeville, it going to take the kids pulling the load together.  I will say this......our defense is good enough most nights to compete with the teams in front of us.  Gonna get us some Bobcat.....then introduce ourselves to Parker and Company the following Thursday for the Rivals Game of the Week......!

Cause thats where we are at right now, and the picture ahead gets a little clearer after several more weeks.

Kaz :thumb:

Unrelated question for you Oneida Indians, and I mean no disrespect to your team: How is it possible that Oneida is just AA, and will be dropping back to Single A, given the size of the town? I'm always amazed at the size of Oneida (the city) in comparison to some of our other rivalry towns we visit like Coalfield, Midway, Oakdale, Sunbright, Cloudland. In those towns, it's easy to understand why the school is so small.

And Oneida is just one example. I have the same question about Rockwood and Harriman. You roll into Rockwood and it's clearly bigger than Loudon for example, and Loudon is what, Four A?

Just curious. Again, not intended to be a swipe at Oneida.

Unrelated question for you Oneida Indians, and I mean no disrespect to your team: How is it possible that Oneida is just AA, and will be dropping back to Single A, given the size of the town? I'm always amazed at the size of Oneida (the city) in comparison to some of our other rivalry towns we visit like Coalfield, Midway, Oakdale, Sunbright, Cloudland. In those towns, it's easy to understand why the school is so small.

And Oneida is just one example. I have the same question about Rockwood and Harriman. You roll into Rockwood and it's clearly bigger than Loudon for example, and Loudon is what, Four A?

Just curious. Again, not intended to be a swipe at Oneida.

Well, it actually has nothing to do with the size of the town and only the size of high school enrollment.  Scott County High is a Four A school so that should explain most of it.  Look around at the Counties that have small schools, Marion, Trousdale, etc.  Those schools represent the entire county and are still so small.

Well, it actually has nothing to do with the size of the town and only the size of high school enrollment.  

Yes, I know that, but a town the size of Oneida or Rockwood would seem to carry a much bigger population in the local school. That's my only point. It's hard to believe a school in a town the size of Oneida is rivals with a school in a town the size of Greenback--a school with three high schools in the county.

Morgan Co. For example has oakdale, Warburg, coalfield, and sunbright high schools so of course the number of students are split giving them all low enrollment numbers. In Scott county there is a single county high school that attracts the vast majority of the students. Oneida initially was and still is mostl a city school but does receive county funding as well. Like was stated earlier, Scott high is a 4A playoff school and Oneidas 2014 enrollment numbers are under 400 total students (390ish I believe) where as Scott high is around 800 or 900 hundred.

Yes, I know that, but a town the size of Oneida or Rockwood would seem to carry a much bigger population in the local school. That's my only point. It's hard to believe a school in a town the size of Oneida is rivals with a school in a town the size of Greenback--a school with three high schools in the county.

I've heard that they send some of the fluff to Scott, Scott being a County school has no choice and Oneida being a City school can get shed of a few if needed. Its alot like Elizabethton in Carter CO, We get several of the less motivated kids. I'm sure HV and Unaka gets there share as well. The town of Oneida may be bigger than Elizabethton.

I was talking to the West kids dad when they came to Hampton. He said the enrollment was about 430 and they were going to have to get shed of some kids. Being in a class with the likes of Alcoa and the other fairly large schools would hurt them alot. I agree with him ,they have NOOOOOO busisness in a region with Alcoa. Hard to fault Oneida for that one.

That's totally wrong. Oneida receives county funding and any kid living in Scott county has the option to attend either of the two schools. Oneida does not accept or deny any student because there is no application process. The city of Oneida is less then 3,700 people and the % under 18 is 24% so about 900 children 0-18 years. The 2014 school enrollment was 390ish so nearly half of the children under 18 attend OHS. Don't sound like a lot of "fluff" being sent anywhere. The 430 number was the 2010 enrollment so enrollment was down about 30-40 students over 4 years. What was the comparison to hamptons 2010-2014?

Edited by crow

That's totally wrong. Oneida receives county funding and any kid living in Scott county has the option to attend either of the two schools. Oneida does not accept or deny any student because there is no application process. The city of Oneida is less then 3,700 people and the % under 18 is 24% so about 900 children 0-18 years. The 2014 school enrollment was 390ish so nearly half of the children under 18 attend OHS. Don't sound like a lot of "fluff" being sent anywhere. The 430 number was the 2010 enrollment so enrollment was down about 30-40 students over 4 years. What was the comparison to hamptons 2010-2014?

The West man was talking about this year and the new classifacation thing. He could have been totally wrong. I do Know that Hampton was alot bigger school several years back. I also know that neither of us has anything in common with Alcoa. Wonder what Oneida's biggest enrollment has ever been. I'm betting it was quite a bit bigger at one time. Hampton's sure was.