Lebanon Football

Yellowstone

Think about this.......................

A coach really has only (1) major controlling factor for players = PLAYING TIME

A successful athlete will have character & work ethic (most of the time)

If a coach has plenty of capable players .............playing time is the controller IF he does not let the "craphead' player get away with bad behavior..........good coaches eventually learn this rule!

If a coach has a limited number of capable players.........then the player character & work ethic must prevail to be a winner..........the playing time control is now limited............ simply because he MUST play the capable players to have a chance to win...........if they have poor character / bad work ethic; then he is between the devil & the witch.

If a player of poor character / bad work ethic KNOWS he will not be benched............How you going to motivate him??? Need some of you "experts" to help me out here!!!

Now also throw in the "enabling" behavior of the parents of these so-called wonderful athletes, and you have a Perfect Storm.............that is even enhanced further by the other "experts" (have all the answers) in the stands and press box (*note. this is usually a former player / alunmi with delusions of grandur of his former football playing ability)

I would say that Mr Harp's problem with keeping the Lebanon Titanic afloat is somewhere in this area...................

Couple of other things

1.) Urban Legend - Athletes are roaming the halls -- not really!!! Most coaches will get the players out; there might be a very few...............if a good athlete does not want to be there......see character and work ethic (above)

2) Lebanon's Pristine facilities - Not really!!! Place was designed by a MORON.......everything is backwards + very low stands + too many dang fences. Looks good from afar..........but it was not money well-spent

I will finish with this...............

An old coach once told me "If I know I am going to lose.............I am going to lose with the kids; that try to do what I say..................the crapheads are going to be standing by me, or they can leave"

if you adopt this..............remember PLAYING TIME is your only real control; then you best have complete backing of the school admin..............

I may be wrong, but sounds to me like your saying a couple key players have given up and blaming them for this season?

Absolutely no disrespect to Portland, but with a school that's almost twice the size of phs, you should be able to win that game just on scheme and wearing the team down.

W.E.

I would say a lot of this is the schemes. Just by what I've seen. But you would know most of all if players are not in the halls I guess.

Would love to hear some candidates for the job. I truely believe that this man is drained at lhs. Possible promotion on staff? Atleast what I hear.

Edited by WCP

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there is always the 'bring back the lift' option.  LOL

and a few more players.

WCP.....I have no clue if players have "quit"; At 0 - 8; I would say that enthusiasm is a bit below what it was on week "zero".

Lebanon is presently a hard place to win............AND what makes it even worse is the fact that this year Region 9 AAA is woefully as weak as it has ever been.

At some point; Lebanon will turn around...........probably not as fast as some would like..

Don't forget the clock mysteriously not working in close games.

Believe it or not it happened with us that night. Two whole plays were ran, 2 seconds came off the clock. Amazing.....Read my post in our leb vs Port thread. Our kids were amazed, I was amazed, at the lack of support from the fans. The rb they have is a great back, no offense to the kid, but as big as he is, we have way too small a secondary that should not be able to bring him down, and they did. Maybe he is playing hurt, I dont know. The qb seemed to have the drive and desire to push the team forward, sadly, not many others did. We have been playing them my sons entire career (3 years so far) and by far, this was the least motivated team we have faced this year or any year. But when it was a close game, they woke up, the last quarter was some of the most heartfelt football I have seen. But that goes both ways. For us too that night. So, it is there. Inside the kids, its just a matter of getting it out of them. Like I  have said, any man that is trying to make a living off the whims of 14-18 year old kids, my heart goes out to them, ya never know what your going to get or who is going to show up lol. I have several dear friends in that town, and I wish them nothing but the best.  

A  group called voices of Concern met with the school board concerning Harp and is commitment to the kids. They wanted him replaced. Shortly thereafter he needs to spend time with the grandkids. The principal in the paper was quoted as saying the VOC were not behind Harp's decision. I guess it was just a coincidence.

Who have you heard? 

How was he run off in Danville? From everything I read the Superintendent and the players were all shocked when he announced he was leaving to come to Lebanon...