Big Games in Memphis - Week 10

kwc

I will go with 726 total yards. I heard this about Mitchell and Hillcrest. Seems I heard about a fight a few weeks ago in middle or East Tennessee. Have not heard of any punishment there, but does not mean it didn't happen. If it didn't, it does not seem right to punish some and not others. I admit I don't know the severity of each situation, so that could have some bearing on it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard that mitchell and hillcrest got a 3 year ban from the playoffs by tssaa due to a brawl that happened during or after last weeks game. Anyone else know and details about this?

My wife just told me about it not too long ago. It seems they are both banned until 2016. This doesn't sound like your everyday fight between two players from opposing teams for the TSSAA to put a three year ban on post season play. The last time I remember the TSSAA putting a post season ban on a pair of teams was back in the day when Ronnie Carter slapped Kingsbury and Westwood with four year post season bans over recruiting. It was the demise of both programs that were really good. They have not recovered since.

I wonder what Galilee has to say about this?

Edited by kwc

Cordova lost 40-6. I don't know why i picked Cordova tonight guess wanted to try and gain a w in the win category. Cordova had 4 turnovers in the first half . 3 int thrown and a fumble . Cordova had it at Arlington 9 yard line all the way to 4th and goal from the 1 and didn't get in endzone. Arlington recovers the onside kick to start the 2nd half. Cordova finished with 6 turnovers I believe for the game. Arlington looked good running the football tonight. Mitchell and Hillcrest 3 years wow especially after Hillcrest won there district. I guess the tssaa hates Memphis because of what Happend between Briarcrest and Houston baseball team did a couple of years ago and got 2 years until I hear or see a video of it it will be hard for me to judge.

Whitestation 310

melrose      332

total 632.

My wife just told me about it not too long ago. It seems they are both banned until 2016. This doesn't sound like your everyday fight between two players from opposing teams for the TSSAA to put a three year ban on post season play. The last time I remember the TSSAA putting a post season ban on a pair of teams was back in the day when Ronnie Carter slapped Kingsbury and Westwood with four year post season bans over recruiting. It was the demise of both programs that were really good. They have not recovered since.

I wonder what Galilee has to say about this?

That's crazy, and Hillcrest was just starting to become a good team. I heard it was pretty bad brawl tho. I hate it for both of their programs. They both are dropping down divisions next year right?

From the Commercial Appeal

Hillcrest, Mitchell football teams banned from postseason play for 3 years

John Varlas

The Hillcrest and Mitchell High football teams have been banned from the postseason for three years — starting this year — as a result of a fight between the two teams last Thursday.

Mitchell athletic director Vearnon Woods confirmed that his school had been notified of the penalties in a letter from the TSSAA on Thursday. Woods said Mitchell had also received three separate fines totaling $4,750.

“They (TSSAA) said the reasons were because we didn’t notify them immediately and because there were fans on the field (fighting),†said Woods. “I just hate it for our players.â€

Hillcrest coach Julius Jackson declined comment, stating his focus was on preparing for Thursday’s game against KIPP Academy.

Both teams had already locked up playoff berths before Week 10. Woods said Mitchell planned to appeal and a decision will have to come quickly; playoff brackets will be released on Saturday morning.

It wasn’t known Thursday whether the teams that would have faced Hillcrest and Mitchell would get byes, or if other teams would take their place.

The trouble began at the end of Hillcrest’s 27-26 victory over Mitchell a week ago. The Tigers were stopped on fourth down near the Vikings’ goal line late in the game. With the clock winding down, Mitchell then thought it had stopped Hillcrest for what would have been an apparent game-winning safety on the final play, but game officials disagreed.

A fight then broke out in the post-game handshake line. No arrests were made but Woods told The Commercial Appeal a Hillcrest assistant coach was “knocked out.â€

SAULSBERRY HONORED

Whitehaven’s Rodney Saulsberry has been named the head coach of the West team for the Toyota East-West all-star football game, which takes place Dec. 12 in Cookeville.

Salusberry coached the Tigers to the 6A state championship and a 15-0 season in 2012. His current team is 9-0 and ranked third in the state heading into Friday’s regular-season finale against Overton.

His assistants include Whitehaven offensive coordinator Clarence Dillard, Raleigh-Egypt head coach Major Wright and Jackson Trinity Christian coach Blake Butler, a former assistant at ECS.

Edited by kwc

Big Games in Memphis - Week 10 (Elected Eleven)

All games are to be played on Friday, October 31, 2014 except those with a * by them, they are to be played on Thursday, October 30, 2014

Game 1: Cordova @ Arlington*

Game 2: Briarcrest @ MUS

Game 3: CBHS @ St. Benedict

Game 4: Manassas @ Craigmont

Game 5: East vs Hamilton @ Crump

Game 6: Northpoint @ FACS

Game 7: Harding @ Lausanne

Game 8: Hillcrest vs KIPP @ Oakhaven*

Game 9: White Station @ Melrose

Game 10: Munford @ Hardin County

Game 11: TRA @ Rossville Christian

Thursday's Game Winners: