Is the split coming?

ballbasher30

.  This year the local club tried to make their rostered kids' parents sign that the club kids wouldn't play MS until after select state tournament.  Makes recruiting easy for the privates.  Signal HS kids playing for GPS, McCallie, CCS, Baylor, Boyd Buc, etc would make up a good SM HS team.  But that's a demographic issue.

Signal Mtn kids have been going to those schools for decades and would never set foot in a public school unless they were kicked out of their private school, was admitted to ND, then kicked out of ND.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the propoasl from yAxis for the 4 class system and then the 3 classes for the current  A-AA and AAA sports. this sounds like it would work by keeping the private schools happy by staying away from d2 and the publics happy by not having to play bigger schools or the smaller school having to play as many privates.

TSSAA should like it as well as it would give them most postseason games to make money  and more games at the state tournament to make money as well.

could also cutdown on travel for some schools possibly.

This maybe should be a new thread, but I'm just going to post this here...

The new TSSAA football regions were posted today. I know this only applies to football right now. But, I noticed several teams moving to new classifications.  I wonder how much of this will stick in two years - like if they did NOT split public and private.

For Division I:

1A and 2A football = A soccer

3A and 4A football = AA soccer

5A and 6A football = AAA soccer

Is this correct?

Yes, sort of.

1A + 2A + 3A + 4A football = A/AA soccer

5A + 6A football = AAA soccer

That's how it's working now and essentially will over the next 2 years.  Not sure if they are going to move the handful of teams that are changing (moving up) football classes.

Just an FYI, the only reason private schools like Knoxville Catholic and Goodpasture are playing "down" over the past two years is because of the formula you noted applies to all sports in terms of the multiplier which only allows a school to move up one classification.  Through this year, everything has been tied to football (1A+2A=A... etc.)  With this, Goodpasture is 1A in football which means they can only move up to 2A, which translates into A in basketball, softball, (and the two which angered many) - baseball and volleyball.  Same with Catholic... 3A before the 1.8x multiplier means a ceiling of 4A in football and AA in everything else.

Removing the "tying everyone to football" thing (assuming it happens) will be good.  I get what kazam37 is saying about his team being the best they've ever been but not making it out of the district (Oneida ? - could be wrong on that).  We have a district here in middle Tennessee in class AAA that has some great teams but there are a few of them stuck in, for lack of a better term - purgatory.  Franklin, Ranenwood, Brentwood USUALLY fight for 2 slots and Centennial and Indepencence are left out in the cold.  My A/AA school plays them most seasons... sometimes we draw, have won once or twice, but usually lose.  They are really good teams, with many good players and great coaches.  Too big for A/AA but a step behind the big boys - or girls - of AAA.

Please give us A/AA, AAA, and AAAA.  Good for the purgatory teams, good for rural public schools, and good for soccer all around.

JFW

Yes, sort of.

1A + 2A + 3A + 4A football = A/AA soccer

5A + 6A football = AAA soccer

This, in a nutshell, is the problem.

Please give us A/AA, AAA, and AAAA.  Good for the purgatory teams, good for rural public schools, and good for soccer all around.

Agree. I'm all for this solution. It may not be perfect, but it would be far better than what we have now.

What I don't understand is the hesitation in doing it. It seems a relatively simple solution--at least partial solution, but TSSAA is sitting on its hands.

Why?

This, in a nutshell, is the problem.

Agree. I'm all for this solution. It may not be perfect, but it would be far better than what we have now.

What I don't understand is the hesitation in doing it. It seems a relatively simple solution--at least partial solution, but TSSAA is sitting on its hands.

Why?

Not sure this has been proposed up until recently.  While this CoachT.com board may or may not represent an equal proportion of views on the topic, almost all of what I've seen here is based around the public-privae thing.  This is the first thread I can recall where the topic of 4 classes has been discussed, although I may have missed other discussions on the topic.

I think they (TSSAA) have taken a good step with the new 6 class football alignment with the super 32 6A class.  Not necessarily because of football but because hopefully this is a move away from the default of 1A+2A=A, 3A+4A=AA, 5A+6A=AAA.

The whole classification thing is an ongoing work in process where I don't know if it ever arrives at a "destination" because the direction changes.  I really hope they do consider this, not just for soccer but for everything.

4 classes. split with 25% of the schools in each class.

Break points fall around 0-400, 400-725, 725-1200, 1200+

Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, Baseball = 4 classes

Soccer, Track = 3 classes (A/AA, AAA, AAAA)

Golf, Tennis, Cross Country, Wresting = 2 classes (A/AA, AAA/AAAA)

I really hope this is not taken as "circling the wagons" as it would move my A/AA soccer programs up from A/AA (0-1000) to AAA (725-1200).

Remember, of the 60 A/AA titles awarded since 2009 to present (including the 5 this fall from CC, Golf, and girls soccer) only 5 have gone to Class A schools.  50% of participants, but only 8% of titles

This would be good for soccer and all of the other sports.

I welcome the split and it can't come soon enough. Let the public schools get their ribbons and trophies and other assorted handouts. Our kids will do continue to work hard (year round), and compete with whatever division they are put in. Our kids will continue to go to college at a 99% clip, with most getting scholarships. Academic scholarships. This argument is beyond ridiculous.

Do you (ND) want to continue this thread?  SM 5 ND 1 National Merit scholars last year.  ND has a great football team this year, they always have great soccer teams.  These are all great kids who go on to do great things…split is coming, but not the end of the world.  

Why does it matter to some private schools that don't play in Division II if they are moved into division II?

Yesterday I had a CPA parent talk about how their football starters had only played the first half in all their games this year. My response, since they somehow seem to get multiple division 1 athletes every year, was to move to division IIA/AA. They would play similar schools, reduce travel (if all privates where in the same division) and have better competition.

At the end of the day all private schools have the enrollment advantage of student choice. That choice often extends beyond the "footprint" of local districts and county lines. Sure open enrollment also has an advantage but most schools are not affected by it.

Private schools promote a sense of accomplishment, competition and the desire to strive for excellence in academics so why not do it in athletics? I realize that a few select public schools are always in consideration for the gold ball in multiple sports but the overall competition is clearly not as strong.

Maybe some of you folks in Chattanooga can explain why you wouldn't want to play against other private schools exclusively? That CPA parent said it was their "mission" to play against the public schools???