Maryville... What are they doing different there?

Roba22

not sure I agree with that but I do not know any of their players other then the two who are at UT right now.   can you list me two that are not named Sensabaugh??  

Even if it is true none of them ever made it past the third round of the state playoffs!  most lost in the 2nd round. and thats when you have to play teams west of Morristown.

I bet there are more DB players in the last 10 years playing ball in the NFL !! Just sayin..

you show me their "DB"  record in the playoffs!!!!!!!  How many times in the last 20 years have they made it to the finales?   or even semifinals....?????     there are some good football players that come from the upper east tennessee..   but you do not see teams that do it on the level of Maryville the way they have the last 14+ years.    I mean just look at what happened tonight...   they took what many thought was a good S-Hill team and made it look easy.    

Your right about the playoffs. DB can't compete in the playoffs. But that's all on coaching obviously. Playing on the level with Maryville is not just a upper east tn. problem. I don't see anybody in the state playing on their level. But the coaching in upper east tn. is very weak that's for sure. I don't see that ever changing.

Here's my 2 cents

1)Coaching-Maryville always has decent athletes, but not near the caliber of your more urban schools.

2)Tradition-My grandfather played at Maryville, My Dad played at Maryville, I played at Maryville, and hopefully my son will play at Maryville. I spent every Friday night during football season at shields stadium from as early as I can remember until I walked off of the field for the last time. It was ingrained in my upbringing. In Blount County you grow up wanting to play for Maryville or Alcoa. That is not the case with the other 2 schools.

3)Feeder Programs-The coaches from the grasshoppers to the middle school are preparing the kids the right way. And it's not uncommon to see the high school coaches at those games rooting for kids that will one day be playing for them.

There are other factors I'm sure, but those three really stick out to me.

not sure I agree with that but I do not know any of their players other then the two who are at UT right now.   can you list me two that are not named Sensabaugh??  

Even if it is true none of them ever made it past the third round of the state playoffs!  most lost in the 2nd round. and thats when you have to play teams west of Morristown.

Delany/Chicago, Kilgore/49rs.

Also DB plays teams west of Morristown during regular season. Sevier Co., Farragut, Ooltewah, East Hamilton the past two years. Also in the old Big East conference which DB dominated and won every year but one most of the teams they played were west of Morristown. True DB hasn't had much luck in the playoffs against any team but in regular season they have won a lot more than they have lost against teams west of Morristown. It is a myth that they can't compete with those teams. You fell for the myth. Sorry

Here's my 2 cents

1)Coaching-Maryville always has decent athletes, but not near the caliber of your more urban schools.

2)Tradition-My grandfather played at Maryville, My Dad played at Maryville, I played at Maryville, and hopefully my son will play at Maryville. I spent every Friday night during football season at shields stadium from as early as I can remember until I walked off of the field for the last time. It was ingrained in my upbringing. In Blount County you grow up wanting to play for Maryville or Alcoa. That is not the case with the other 2 schools.

3)Feeder Programs-The coaches from the grasshoppers to the middle school are preparing the kids the right way. And it's not uncommon to see the high school coaches at those games rooting for kids that will one day be playing for them.

There are other factors I'm sure, but those three really stick out to me.

That's worth more than 2 cents. But not many people will get it. Its just not complicated enough.

Eat,sleep and breathe football huh?

That's how I was raised. Of course I can't speak for the boys playing now. But some of them are 2nd and 3rd generation rebels like myself. Then again some of them have moved from out of state, and some of them had Dads that played for other schools in the area. What is the old saying "if you build it he will come." It's built and they're coming.

Welp fellers and rw87...Eye weal haiv two lett ewe y'all in on a littull seecrit....Tha boys haiv hott cornbred crumbled upp inn a glass ov cold clumpy buttermilk beefour bed on Thirsdee nite.... :popcorneater:

Yeah.....kinda' like when I was a boy my uncle told me that stump water would wash all those freckles off my face. It didn't work.