Maryville... What are they doing different there?

Roba22

What you say is true but I would still pick Maryville against any of those teams based on their discipline alone. You watch alot of those teams and they are extremely talented but they will make mistakes and play sloppy. I've yet to see a team that plays as efficiently and is as disciplined as maryville.

Yet Maryville never plays teams like these or even the best teams in TN (Ensworth, BA, MBA etc). Maryville is without a doubt the best public school program in TN, but they never challenge themselves and are fine with the status quo. And THAT'S okay.

I had the chance to watch the semi-final game vs Siegel a few years ago. Maryville was getting beat in the first half but they never panicked. As the game went on it became apparent that they expected to win. This type of attitude is one of their greatest attributes. Starting the program at the pee wee's is what leads to this success. When Southlake Carroll in Texas was dominating not only Texas but the nation this was Coach Dodge's secret. He hand picked the coaches in the pee wee's as well as the middle schools. They ran his plays so that when they became varsity players they were operating like a machine. An advantage to this philosophy is that if a kid isn't doing his job correctly it stands out quickly. Without knowing everything about the way things are done at Maryville, I would say this is probably the root to the success that Maryville has achieved.

Yet Maryville never plays teams like these or even the best teams in TN (Ensworth, BA, MBA etc). Maryville is without a doubt the best public school program in TN, but they never challenge themselves and are fine with the status quo. And THAT'S okay.

they beat a team that won a state championship in DII. But they duck the best private schools

So if they don't play the privates, they're excluded from being considered the best overall team in TN?