Maryville... What are they doing different there?

Roba22

And right here we see your real reason for wanting Maryville to start flying all over the country ... so you can say see , I told you so ... I'm so sick of people always looking for some way to make Maryville look bad . I could give a Crap less about how Maryville would play against a team 2000 miles away . How bout a C'mon man for you , why don't you just say , Nice job young men , well done . That's my problem with all the Middle Tenn schools too .... they can't just say , Wow guys well done .... nope it's always , well if they played so and so , or if they had to go somewhere else .... anything else rather than say job well done . 

Open your eyes and read my previous posts.  Maryville is as good as it gets in TN.  Nothing but respect for who they are and what they do.  

Why not play them and prove you're the best in Tennessee? Or take on a top notch out of state program and represent Tennessee. I think they would do well in both cases fwiw, but they refuse to do it.

Didn't answer my question.  I guess because for most teams in high school football, the main objective is to win a state title.  Maryville has been doing that regardless of the classification they're in.  Going out of state doesn't prove anything for Maryville, BA, MBA, or any other team thrown into the mix.  I would like those matchups against out of state opponents, but it doesn't prove one team from Tennessee is better than another.

Maryville has great feeder programs. The men coaching these teams have done it for many years.

Maryville has a lot of support from the school and community. Everyone on the same page.

Maryville has good football players. Every now and then they have a great one.

The main reason Maryville is so good is their coaching staff. I wouldnt trade them for any staff in America.

Maryville has great feeder programs. The men coaching these teams have done it for many years.

Maryville has a lot of support from the school and community. Everyone on the same page.

Maryville has good football players. Every now and then they have a great one.

The main reason Maryville is so good is their coaching staff. I wouldnt trade them for any staff in America.

Great men, on and off the field. I'm thankful my son will have them in his life, even for just this short period. I see so many former players stop by practice, just to say hey to the coaches. That says something to me.

I'll agree with Passive sort of on one thing though.  I would like to see Maryville roll with an out of state program that's the real deal.  And I'm not talking Bell County Kentucky.

Yet what Maryville is doing is still not enough for you .... they must do even more before they have your seal of approval . Why is it that a team all of a sudden becomes so much more Respect worthy if they cross a State Line ? I saw Blackman cross a State Line last year and they got hosed .... I don't want Maryville to ever go to KY ... we did when I  was on the team at Maryville and the fans there were some of the worst I've ever seen . I would much prefer Maryville play one of the Private Schools in TN than ever go to KY . 

What you say is true but I would still pick Maryville against any of those teams based on their discipline alone. You watch alot of those teams and they are extremely talented but they will make mistakes and play sloppy. I've yet to see a team that plays as efficiently and is as disciplined as maryville.

Those teams he mentioned all play disciplined football as well, and are far more talented. I've watched football all around the Southeast over the years. Absolutely LOVE watching Murville play. They have this down to a science, but realistically, in most other Southeastern states, they're basically a good program who always makes the playoffs and maybe has a shot at winning a title from time to time. Nothing wrong with that. IMO (and has been already stated), their success starts early:

*Kids being taught fundamentals at an early age by guys who aren't daddies and their buddies coaching their kids and trying to run whatever kind of scheme they want to run.

*Just out organizing and out executing everyone else....

*Keeping kids coming out by developing players and getting them PT in games that have gotten out of hand early. You'd be surprised by the number of teams who don't start getting guys in until late 4th quarter in games that are in hand well before that....

*Great community support and the confidence that comes from years of winning. Every time these guys take the field, they EXPECT to win.....

*Great coaching staff...obviously....but just great overall organization....

Those teams he mentioned all play disciplined football as well, and are far more talented. I've watched football all around the Southeast over the years. Absolutely LOVE watching Murville play. They have this down to a science, but realistically, in most other Southeastern states, they're basically a good program who always makes the playoffs and maybe has a shot at winning a title from time to time. Nothing wrong with that. IMO (and has been already stated), their success starts early:

*Kids being taught fundamentals at an early age by guys who aren't daddies and their buddies coaching their kids and trying to run whatever kind of scheme they want to run.

*Just out organizing and out executing everyone else....

*Keeping kids coming out by developing players and getting them PT in games that have gotten out of hand early. You'd be surprised by the number of teams who don't start getting guys in until late 4th quarter in games that are in hand well before that....

*Great community support and the confidence that comes from years of winning. Every time these guys take the field, they EXPECT to win.....

*Great coaching staff...obviously....but just great overall organization....

...What he said. I have watched HS football in GA, FL and now TN.  Maryville would compete very well with any of the teams I have seen play over the past 30 years.

What I don't understand is if you are a fan of HS football why anyone wouldn't love to see Maryville play.  They play with a level of precision (and now talent) that no one in this side of the state (not even Fulton) can match.

Another thing I don't understand is, after 15 years of success, why no other program is attempting to run Maryville's offense scheme.  That has been the biggest mystery of all.

just so you know i played at mhs in the 80's and cut my teeth coaching at mms in the mid 2000's with coach malone-i've coached at 3 different middle schools and 2 high schools-what makes murvil different is that when the middle school coaches gettem the kids already now how to: get in a stance, get splits, fire off the ball, understand hand placement, stay on blocks, and hate losing so much that their gonna whip ur tail every down.  they know what a 3 technique is and understand playing cover 3.  so by the time jay gets em and passes them off to GQ you got guys WHO GET IT!!! 

other people don't run murvil's offense cuz they aint got GQ!!! Heard him speak at UT clinic this year and he talked about one thing they've started doin is running multiple plays at one time! they can call 2 plays at once. key a certain defender and run the play he can't defend!!! i haven't been around too many teams that are able to do that-most teams have a hard time running one play-lmao!!!!!! YES!!!! They r fun to watch!!! Go Red Rebels

just so you know i played at mhs in the 80's and cut my teeth coaching at mms in the mid 2000's with coach malone-i've coached at 3 different middle schools and 2 high schools-what makes murvil different is that when the middle school coaches gettem the kids already now how to: get in a stance, get splits, fire off the ball, understand hand placement, stay on blocks, and hate losing so much that their gonna whip ur tail every down. they know what a 3 technique is and understand playing cover 3. so by the time jay gets em and passes them off to GQ you got guys WHO GET IT!!!

other people don't run murvil's offense cuz they aint got GQ!!! Heard him speak at UT clinic this year and he talked about one thing they've started doin is running multiple plays at one time! they can call 2 plays at once. key a certain defender and run the play he can't defend!!! i haven't been around too many teams that are able to do that-most teams have a hard time running one play-lmao!!!!!! YES!!!! They r fun to watch!!! Go Red Rebels

The 2 in one play comes via a Stars funded smoke and mirror session.

Not only is the coaching staff great, the coaching staff has zero turnover, which is a tribute to GQ & Company about how they get along.  (The teacher pay at Maryville is top notch which also helps keep coaches.) 

Several have mentioned the feeder programs.  The Maryville Youth Football league was started in 1964.  One of the head coaches of one of the 11&12s started that year and IS STILL THERE.  That's 51 seasons.  He has an assistant that's been there 48 years.   Across town, another feeder program has a head coach who's been there 35+ years.  Many folks think the GQ system is taught in the feeder programs.  There is nothing further from the truth.  The youth coaches never talk xs and os with GQ.  The youth philosopy is simple.  Teach the kids to block, tackle, love football and love the Rebels.  GQ and his staff will take care of the xs and os when the time comes. 

Success builds sucess.  The formula isn't complex but it has many components, the most important is, IMHO, the coaching staff at MHS.

I remember when Ralph Miranda and some of his staff at Charter did the Road to Murfreesboro video sessions for Alcoa and Maryville in 2004. One thing stuck out to me. I remember ona 3rd down play it showed George Quarles was asking Jim Gaylor what would be a good play to run. Here was a guy who had won 3 state titles and winning over 90 percent of his games asking a assistant his opinion. Most head coaches with GQ,s success would never do that because their ego would be so big.