State Semifinal:Alcoa at Notre Dame

BigDave1967

CUT AND PASTE

Knoxville Sports Shuffle

All About Money

Posted on April 22, 2011

For those that have been around Knoxville some time, it’s hard not to recognize the success that Alcoa football brings to the table. They are seven-time defending state champions.

They know what it takes to win and continue to invest in that working formula — whatever that formula is.

With success like that comes both good and bad attention. The bad attention could lead to things like allowing kids to go to school at Alcoa when they do not live in that school zone, or the question of performance-enhancing drugs, or worse, like shaving points.

Now no accusations are being filed on any of these cases, nor has the Alcoa football team come out and said anything to this nature. For what we know, they are squeaky clean.

But yet we still must ask the question: Is it too farfetched to think any of these particular things are happenings? With all the money in sports and all the prestige that comes with winning, I don’t think it’s too mind-boggling to think that schools will go to great lengths (yes, cheating) to gain some sort of competitive advantage that helps them win. In the times we live in today, that’s simple math.

So while no one is accusing the dominant program of illegal activity, as journalists our jobs are to investigate and poke and prod and if we find something to pounce on it. Again, not saying anything is happening, but am I wrong to suspect it?

The positive side, however, is that Alcoa has just signed a new deal with Under Armour. You can read more here, but the gist of it is that Alcoa is one of only 57 teams priviledged enough to wear the wanted apparel.

The reason? Winning. When you win, people want you. Companies want you. You sell the product better. And most importantly, the kids that are wearing it buy into the product.

This quote by Gary Rankin, head coach at Alcoa, does a great job of telling the story.

"They get excited over a lot of things if it’s got something to do with wearing something. That’s exactly what companies like Under Armour want; excitement sells the brand. And now with the publicity that Alcoa will receive because of this mega-deal, their prestige and prominence will only go up.Success breeds a lot of things, both good and bad."

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Knoxvillesportsshuffle.wordpass.com

OMG and yes I cut and pasted. Can you believe the arrogance of this man? If this isn't cheating the system I don't know what is. Now we know how they got the weight room #???,???,the field $900,000,the jumbotron $400,000, etc....... Who's to say they don't put their logo on free stuff and sell it or just sell it out right. No wonder other schools can't compete. You cant make this stuff up. Alcoians By the way I can use google too.

Article clearly written by someone in Knoxville who can't stand how we steamroll the Knox County teams we play. Not our fault. Maybe everyone else should just....get better.

Rocket science, right?

Notre Dame posters are a different breed of Catholic Fans than the ones in Knoxville...  Thank God for his mercy.

Photoman just saying

Notre Dame posters are a different breed of Catholic Fans than the ones in Knoxville...  Thank God for his mercy.

Photoman just saying

The Knox Catholic fans are a lot classier

what is the status of Alcoas 2015 commitments....Booger knows that the recruiting sites are not always representative of all the kids moving on.....who besides the big Mitchell kid is going to be playing on Saturdays....there is without a doubt others with options.....that stud running back has to be leaning to a few

You must work in Oakridge being is yu a Rocket Scientist. I figured it out your Rocvky and PaintedBridge is Bullwinkle.hehe Might be bias article ya still don't answer the quote by Mayor Rankin. !?!?!?!? He sure tells it just like it is. Im proud of him.

Lessur thanks for the article. I'll get those Alan Goods coupons sent to. Stat!!!!!

Article clearly written by someone in Knoxville who can't stand how we steamroll the Knox County teams we play. Not our fault. Maybe everyone else should just....get better.

Rocket science, right?

You must work in Oakridge being is yu a Rocket Scientist. I figured it out your Rocvky and PaintedBridge is Bullwinkle.hehe Might be bias article ya still don't answer the quote by Mayor Rankin. !?!?!?!? He sure tells it just like it is. Im proud of him.

Lessur thanks for the article. I'll get those Alan Golds coupons sent to. Stat!!!!!

Edited by IrishTrickster

Lessur thanks for the article. I'll get those Alan Golds coupons sent to. Stat!!!!!

Good Lord, quoting yourself, spelling words wrong again. Ease off on the Guinness there, Pubba Bubba. :mrgreen:

You gotta admit that was funny! LOL!

Photoman just saying

Yes...thank God for his mercy

The Knox Catholic fans are a lot classier

some, not all BigDave, aren't as receptive to cheap shots (not good ole' jousting)......Booger aint sayin you've taking one :thumb: ......but those that do take one at the school or Booger; need to be prepared to receive a hard shot back 

of the 12 USMC Leadership Traits; "Tact" was the one Booger always thought they should remove 

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

Yes...thank God for his mercy

some, not all BigDave, aren't as receptive to cheap shots (not good ole' jousting)......Booger aint sayin you've taking one :thumb: ......but those that do take one at the school or Booger; need to be prepared to receive a hard shot back 

of the 12 USMC Leadership Traits; "Tact" was the one Booger always thought they should remove 

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

You're cool Booger. I've got no problem with you at all

Copy and paste