State Semifinal:Alcoa at Notre Dame

BigDave1967

Can anyone tell me why Rankin's wife was back in the Boro looking at real estate last week? We've heard from mutual friends that he has always wanted to get back to middle Tennessee and coach in the big boy division.

sorta heard a rumor about the Smyrna job, but no way I think he leaves the situation he has now so close to retirement. I thinks its just rumor.

sorta heard a rumor about the Smyrna job, but no way I think he leaves the situation he has now so close to retirement. I thinks its just rumor.

Not Smyrna, but you're close. The lure of competing against the big boys in the super division is very appealing to Rankin. Lets face it, winning is great, but if you have a chance to win at the highest level like he did with Riverdale, that's just a larger feather in the cap then any championship in 3A.

Both teams played a good Knox Catholic team tight. I think it's going to be a nail-bitter. The game should be played at ND. Finely isn't an atmosphere for Notre Dame and all the old hats coming back to watch the game.

Nobody cares about Alcoa's 85 players and all that depth they supposedly have. They would suit up my 85 year old grandmother if she wanted to play. It only takes 12 on offense and 12 on defense to win. Alcoa has some solid athletes at all positions and a few "go-to" guys. ND has to bust the play makers in the mouth early and welcome them to ND football. Defensively, Alcoa is going to have their hands full. Alcoa will stack the box and shutdown Banks, then ND will go to the air. Alcoa will already be doubled down on Orr, and he'll still make plays. What's going to slap Alcoa in the face like a wet towel is NDs other skill positions, which have been somewhat silent most of the year but deadly. Ballard, Flemister, Johnson, and Robertson. All can play. Ballard hasn't had much spotlight this year, but the kid can play. He's got the speed and he knows the game. Look for him to step-up and put some points on the board. 

If ND controls the clock and keeps Alcoa's offense off the field and the defense rested, it'll be a 4 quarter nail-bitter.

Several years ago, Alcoa's weight training coach left and came to ND. He walked into a program full of athletes and a good ND football team in '07-09'. I'm sure he still takes credit for ND's success during those years. I'm making a heck of a stretch even calling this a guy a coach. All he could talk about was Alcoa football like he built the program from the ground up. He'd wave those Alcoa title rings around like he was the king on the field that earned them. Needless to say, he got axed. But I'm sure in his eyes he "left for a better job." The current ND players wouldn't know this guy but the alumni do. A Notre Dame victory over "The Great" Alcoa would be mighty sweet for the alumni that had to put up with that guy and his "back at Alcoa..." stories. Go Irish.     

Both teams played a good Knox Catholic team tight. I think it's going to be a nail-bitter. The game should be played at ND. Finely isn't an atmosphere for Notre Dame and all the old hats coming back to watch the game.

Nobody cares about Alcoa's 85 players and all that depth they supposedly have. They would suit up my 85 year old grandmother if she wanted to play. It only takes 12 on offense and 12 on defense to win. Alcoa has some solid athletes at all positions and a few "go-to" guys. ND has to bust the play makers in the mouth early and welcome them to ND football. Defensively, Alcoa is going to have their hands full. Alcoa will stack the box and shutdown Banks, then ND will go to the air. Alcoa will already be doubled down on Orr, and he'll still make plays. What's going to slap Alcoa in the face like a wet towel is NDs other skill positions, which have been somewhat silent most of the year but deadly. Ballard, Flemister, Johnson, and Robertson. All can play. Ballard hasn't had much spotlight this year, but the kid can play. He's got the speed and he knows the game. Look for him to step-up and put some points on the board.

If ND controls the clock and keeps Alcoa's offense off the field and the defense rested, it'll be a 4 quarter nail-bitter.

Several years ago, Alcoa's weight training coach left and came to ND. He walked into a program full of athletes and a good ND football team in '07-09'. I'm sure he still takes credit for ND's success during those years. I'm making a heck of a stretch even calling this a guy a coach. All he could talk about was Alcoa football like he built the program from the ground up. He'd wave those Alcoa title rings around like he was the king on the field that earned them. Needless to say, he got axed. But I'm sure in his eyes he "left for a better job." The current ND players wouldn't know this guy but the alumni do. A Notre Dame victory over "The Great" Alcoa would be mighty sweet for the alumni that had to put up with that guy and his "back at Alcoa..." stories. Go Irish.

"It only takes 12 on offense and 12 on defense to win"

So ND played Catholic with 12 on both sides and still lost..

Not Smyrna, but you're close. The lure of competing against the big boys in the super division is very appealing to Rankin. Lets face it, winning is great, but if you have a chance to win at the highest level like he did with Riverdale, that's just a larger feather in the cap then any championship in 3A.

Its not the same boro he left a decade plus ago and he knows it. Strict zones, more competition, more private schools picking off top talent(Ensworth), and more school in general. No school in the Boro has the advantages he had when at Riverdale. I am not sure at his age he would want to come in and spend 60 hours a week developing talent when he can stay put and have the talent brought to him. We hear these rumors every year, lots of smoke but no fire. And yes, a Gold ball in 6a is the ultimate goal, but a Gold in 3a sure beats a ticket home in the semi's. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

Its not the same boro he left a decade plus ago and he knows it. Strict zones, more competition, more private schools picking off top talent(Ensworth). No school in the Boro has the advantages he had when at Riverdale. I am not sure at his age he would want to come in and spend 60 hours a week developing talent when he can stay put and have the talent brought to him. We here these rumors every year, lots of smoke on no fire. And yes, a Gold ball in 6a is the ultimate goal, but a Gold in 3a sure beats a ticket home in the semi's.

If Rankin wants a challenge he can always become the head coach of William Blount

If Rankin wants a challenge he can always become the head coach of William Blount

I don't see Rankin ever giving up his (situation)competitive advantage or whatever you call it at Aloca till he retires. Only job I thought he might even look at would have been open zoned Cookeville HS when it opened up to be close to his son at TTU. But not enough area talent to pull from for his likes if I were guessing. CHS moving back into the Boro district won't turn out well for anyone who would have took the job. Face it, he is staying put....no better setup than he enjoys now.