State Semifinal:Rhea County at Knox West

BigDave1967

Interesting game to say the least. Pemberton is a fantastic coach and is very good at exploiting a teams weaknesses. Had some really tough teams at Catholic and I'm sure Rhea plays the same way.

Cummings grew up running the wing T. His first offense at Tennessee High was the Wing T and when he came to West, we ran it the first year. Glad to see the run game is alive and well.

Looking forward to it. Have a lot of respect for your coach and know how good he is from his days at Catholic. You have some great players on both sides of the ball as well. By the way any recommendations for any good restaraunts before the game Friday?

There several good places to eat off exit 347 Rockwood-Harriman exit before you travel down hwy 27

Rhea just keeps on chuggin'. I will admit, it's been nice the past few weeks. We've heard that we couldn't play "Big Boy Football" and we dropped 47 points and sent them home. Tullahoma and Oak Ridge both had signs saying "Tell your girlfriends you'll be free next Friday." Unfortunately for them, it's now basketball season and Rhea rolls on. Being the underdog the past two weeks (Ooltewah and OR) has been nice because no one outside Rhea County has thought we'd win. I'm sure this week will be no different.

It's definitely going to be nice to be back at Bill Horton Field one more time. There will likely be countless tailgaters, a full house, and some good football. I just hope our Golden Eagles aren't too full of turkey and get stuffed by West.

Now, on to business: somebody from the Knoxville area (preferably a West fan), how bout a scouting report on what you guys do? Who can we look for to make big plays?

Edited by UnsilentMajority

Rhea just keeps on chuggin'. I will admit, it's been nice the past few weeks. We've heard that we couldn't play "Big Boy Football" and we dropped 47 points and sent them home. Tullahoma and Oak Ridge both had signs saying "Tell your girlfriends you'll be free next Friday." Unfortunately for them, it's now basketball season and Rhea rolls on. Being the underdog the past two weeks (Ooltewah and OR) has been nice because no one outside Rhea County has thought we'd win. I'm sure this week will be no different.

It's definitely going to be nice to be back at Bill Horton Field one more time. There will likely be countless tailgaters, a full house, and some good football. I just hope our Golden Eagles aren't too full of turkey and get stuffed by West.

Now, on to business: somebody from the Knoxville area (preferably a West fan), how bout a scouting report on what you guys do? Who can we look for to make big plays?

I believe that just about any number under 20 that you will see on the field has a TD this year.  Both offense and defense, and all those should be considered a playmaker on any play. 

The secondary will capitalize on any miscue and take it to the house. 

D-line is slightly undersized but Fast.  #15 coming off the end will be a hassle for you all night.  Running or passing.

Defense as a unit is fast, quick to the ball, swarms, and the second person will go for the strip as well or better than most teams ive seen play. 

Offense:  5 and 7 are who your staff will focus on the most and rightly so. #5 is a GT commit and a legit 4.35 40   he has the ability to break one on any given play.  I doubt you'll see any kickoff's deep either cause he returns them routinely for TD's.  South Doyle got cocky and tried one deep and payed for it.(#4 burnt them for it).  #7 is as hard nosed a qb you will find anywhere.  Doesn't avoid contact, matter of fact seems to appear to enjoy leveling defensive players. He's also a flat out speed demon about .05 slower than #5  and much more shifty of a runner. 

You will definately have to stop the run and make West beat you throwing the ball.  Problem with that is they throw it just enough and deep enough to keep you honest and are just good enough throwing to burn you if you try to overload the box.  The wideouts are all fast and catch well. 

The other problem Rhea will have is that if you focus on 5 and 7 to much West has other backs that can burn you.  #6 went on a close to 70 yard scamper on South Doyle the other night.

All things said, I see this as a close one, much like last week.  Rhea keeps it close for 3 quarters then West pulls ahead late to make it appear bigger than it was.  Just to much team speed, debth and experience.  If Rhea can get a couple breaks early and can go up by a couple touchdowns it could very well be their night as I don't see West being able to come back from a big deficate against a good run team.

My prediction   7-7 at halftime  Final  West 28 Rhea 14

Edited by lonerebel

Looking forward to it. Have a lot of respect for your coach and know how good he is from his days at Catholic. You have some great players on both sides of the ball as well. By the way any recommendations for any good restaraunts before the game Friday?

Best advice I can offer:  eat at the exit off I-40 or get to Rhea very early and try Jacob Meyers... It's on in Dayton, on the river...so that adds to your drive-back time to Evensville. Was a cool place downtown, Fehns...but they closed last month and the new owners haven't re-opened.  Otherwise, it's just typical fast-food stuff in Spring City and Dayton.  Concessions at the stadium should be rockin...just watch for tobacco juice.   :roflolk: