WILL DB ever be a legitimate STATE TITLE CONTENDER?

If you're looking to go out of state to find a coach, here's one thought:

Go down to Tift County, Georgia and hire away a man that coached Alcoa from 2003-05 and got us back to winning state titles:

JOHN REID!!

After he left Alcoa, he went to a struggling East Paulding program in Georgia and turned them around just about instantly, going 12-2 and making the state semifinals his first season.

2006-2011 at East Paulding:

60-15 overall record, 4 state quarterfinal appearances and a semifinal appearance.

In 2012, he went to Tift County, a program also struggling and last year took them to their first playoff game in 6 years, only their 6th playoff appearance since 1998. And his record has improved every year from 2-8 to 5-5 to 7-4 this year.

Just a thought. His spread offense was fun to watch.

Go down to Tift County, Georgia and hire away a man that coached Alcoa from 2003-05 and got us back to winning state titles:

JOHN REID!!

After he left Alcoa, he went to a struggling East Paulding program in Georgia and turned them around just about instantly, going 12-2 and making the state semifinals his first season.

60-15 overall record, 4 state quarterfinal appearances and a semifinal appearance.

In 2012, he went to Tift County, a program also struggling and last year took them to their first playoff game in 6 years, only their 6th playoff appearance since 1998. And his record has improved every year from 2-8 to 5-5 to 7-4 this year.

Would you prefer him over rankin at Alcoa?

JOHN REID!!

As for as I know there has never been any discussion by the people that matter concerning a head coach change. I don't think there will be a change until Clark decides to retire. The problem at DB is not the head coach per say, its everything around him. From the pee-wee leagues on up. Nothing is done right.

As for as I know there has never been any discussion by the people that matter concerning a head coach change. I don't think there will be a change until Clark decides to retire. The problem at DB is not the head coach per say, its everything around him. From the pee-wee leagues on up. Nothing is done right.

That is true, feeder programs are key to winning state at the high school level. If good ol' boy politics get in the way there, or even worse at the high school level, you're in all kinds of trouble. Based on some of the posts I've seen in the D-B threads, it sounds like that's the case.

I know a school can opt to play up a classification (like they are really 5A but they play 6A), but is the opposite true?     I am guessing not, but I think DB would be able to compete in 5A.     On this side of the state you would have to get past 5A powerhouses Ooltewah, Knox West and Oak Ridge, not sure you can do that year after year but its better than trying to go thru the black hole in Blount County.

I know a school can opt to play up a classification (like they are really 5A but they play 6A), but is the opposite true?     I am guessing not, but I think DB would be able to compete in 5A.     On this side of the state you would have to get past 5A powerhouses Ooltewah, Knox West and Oak Ridge, not sure you can do that year after year but its better than trying to go thru the black hole in Blount County.

My god dude, WTF? How 'bout this. Maybe you could drop down and find a fifth grader forum and start posting there.

Coach Clark will do fine in this Conference !! People said the same about DB prior to switching before "Yes i do know about Maryville" !! I think getting a new defensive coach is what DB has needed for awhile and i think Peeler would do the job " heck he took academy in west tn to 13-1 his first year "and he is a defensive-man .I also heard their switching weight lifting around and trying new things.. Clark is a darn good coach and he has now let some family go On his staff And for reasons a great coach would notice !! DB did very well with a team that was lucky to win 5- 6 games this past season, so im not really worried what DB will do the next several with the talent they have And possibly new coaching in key postions , weight room etc.!!

Edited by kingindian33

I know a school can opt to play up a classification (like they are really 5A but they play 6A), but is the opposite true? I am guessing not, but I think DB would be able to compete in 5A. On this side of the state you would have to get past 5A powerhouses Ooltewah, Knox West and Oak Ridge, not sure you can do that year after year but its better than trying to go thru the black hole in Blount County.

DB is a 6A school,and moving down wouldn't guarantee them winning a GOLD BALL,And as good as Maryville is they are beatable.And I think DB has the players to do it.I just think DB and the coaching staff has become complacency with what there doing.Not saying they don't want to win state.Even the teams going 1-9 every season wants to win state.The reason why I started this topic was I knew DB has a lot more than a 2nd round exit almost every yr.To me beating. any team in the playoffs is very difficult.And it's not just about beating Maryville,Which they have showed if you're going to get a chance to play for a gold ball,You have to go though them.But losing 45-0,42-21,31-14 is not being competitive to me.Lets close the gap first and at least give Maryville a team from this side of the state to contend with.And I truly think DB is that team.I've lived here now going on 10yrs,And I've never seen one school that controled the whole state yr after yr.Just make them earn it a lot better than what teams are doing now.GQ is a great coach,and they have good players,But are they really that much better than everyone else.Its MINDSET!!..And like I said it's nothing personal about GC,I just think it's time for some new blood and moral.It just seems to me that all these folks that have been DB fans are content and think they owe him something,If that's so name the field after him and don't make the kids pay for it cause some of you on here and in the stands are his friends and don't want to hurt his feelings.My opinion is he should step down and give someone else a try. Edited by NORTHCAROLINAmanforDB

I guess all the GC followers have decided not to comment on this topic any longer,I would like to apologize to all of you that cried you're. selves asleep cause someone came out and told what really needs to be done at DB for them to be a REAL CONTENDER in the state of tennERsee.Cause as some of you have posted,You're content with what y'all have and now playing to be 2nd best in NE TENN cause CARTER has figured GC out.Then I guess the topic is over.It's just ashame the kids are the ones that are paying for it.

Edited by NORTHCAROLINAmanforDB

I agree that it would be great to have a whole new coaching staff... but graham is not going no where yet and has made some steps in the right direction this off-season so far , so maybe he realizes the talent he has next year at DB and wants to win !! ;) ....but now for you saying "Carter has figured Graham out" ...nope graham has just had two straight years of 5-6 win teams at best, at the start of both seasons ....its not like these teams where predicted 10-0 like every year past ...

I guess all the GC followers have decided not to comment on this topic any longer,I would like to apologize to all of you that cried you're. selves asleep cause someone came out and told what really needs to be done at DB for them to be a REAL CONTENDER in the state of tennERsee.Cause as some of you have posted,You're content with what y'all have and now playing to be 2nd best in NE TENN cause CARTER has figured GC out.Then I guess the topic is over.It's just ashame the kids are the ones that are paying for it.