West High School's next Head Coach

SGHSAlum93

To be fair, West has had several very good players the past few years (those already named like Cottrell and Marshall/Hoxey/Bacon/Francis/some very good, physical receivers during Francis' tenure - though their names escape me/Will Coley, who went to the AF Academy/a lightning quick small back whose name also escapes me) but the majority was a bunch of hard-working yeoman types who were smart and could execute at a high level, which of course is a testament to good coaching.  That is what made me pull for West even after they cleaned our clock in the playoffs a few years back.

exactly.

Edited by OakRidgeKat

I think knoxvul is an undercover west fan lol... all year he claimed he hated west but had multiple comments on every single west thread... He barely ever came to the fulton threads I can only remember two all year... And the way he is defending Cummings and west now is too suspicious... But to answer your questions vul the run over the last few years were more due to the athletes on the defensive side of the ball... Every year for about 5 or 6 years west has had at least 3 to 4 players with 100 plus tackles and many more with 70+... Their defenses were fast and created a lot of turnovers... They had linebackers like jimmy garner, Preston I forget the last name, zach Stewart, Cody underwood, Dbs like Ryan Francis and max bacon and much more whos names I can't remember... Don't get me wrong Cummings did a great job but to say he had average athletes is laughable west has had some studs over these recent years...

I think knoxvul is an undercover west fan lol... all year he claimed he hated west but had multiple comments on every single west thread... He barely ever came to the fulton threads I can only remember two all year... And the way he is defending Cummings and west now is too suspicious... But to answer your questions vul the run over the last few years were more due to the athletes on the defensive side of the ball... Every year for about 5 or 6 years west has had at least 3 to 4 players with 100 plus tackles and many more with 70+... Their defenses were fast and created a lot of turnovers... They had linebackers like jimmy garner, Preston I forget the last name, zach Stewart, Cody underwood, Dbs like Ryan Francis and max bacon and much more whos names I can't remember... Don't get me wrong Cummings did a great job but to say he had average athletes is laughable west has had some studs over these recent years...

I am a closet West fan... But I assure you I am a die hard Falcon... Our threads suck minus Catholic! However, things got a little off topic and I choose not to read or spew that garbage.

You mentioned Bacon. I agree... Very good high school athlete! All 5'9 and 160lbs of him!

I am a closet West fan... But I assure you I am a die hard Falcon... Our threads suck minus Catholic! However, things got a little off topic and I choose not to read or spew that garbage.

You mentioned Bacon. I agree... Very good high school athlete! All 5'9 and 160lbs of him!

Yeah just because he is not big doesn't mean he is not a great highschool athlete... He would start DB at most any school in tennessee outside MAYBE a few privates and maybe Maryville...

I played from 2006-2009........and we were always loaded. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. We were obviously not at the level the program is at right now, but we were solid every year. Even in 2009 when we went 4-6. We lost to Maryville 17-9 in 2007 in the 2nd round and would have won state if we had somehow beat them. They railroaded everyone else that year in the playoffs.

Who remembers the twin towers Ken Easterly and Jack Wagner? Not to mention they had Jake Ryan throwing to them. The scatback you were referencing is Jake Klotzbach.

The youth program helped West build elite depth. They've always had players that could play with anyone. 

Edited by RunninRebels

To be fair, West has had several very good players the past few years (those already named like Cottrell and Marshall/Hoxey/Bacon/Francis/some very good, physical receivers during Francis' tenure - though their names escape me/Will Coley, who went to the AF Academy/a lightning quick small back whose name also escapes me) but the majority was a bunch of hard-working yeoman types who were smart and could execute at a high level, which of course is a testament to good coaching.  That is what made me pull for West even after they cleaned our clock in the playoffs a few years back.

Thank you for actually getting this right.  West wins with good talent mixed with some exceptional talent and most importantly now with some success -  good depth.  The coaches put the right kids in the right positions and give them the tools to win.  To say that West just rolls the ball out there and just lets the athletes "do what you do" is a disservice to both the coaches and the players.  Tennessee came to recruit at several West games this year - but they were mostly looking at and signing our opponents. 

PS - George Bullock for President - man I miss him - a great kicker is a real weapon

Looks like "Knoxvul" needs to stick to the 3A/4A threads or atleast to the North Knoxville threads. Just because I don't know names or always remember their numbers, doesn't mean that when I saw West play of Friday nights, they didn't have good looking athletes all over the field.

And Farragut looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane... Year after year