Oakland Foootball Opening

wingman10

Kris White is no where near the coach Tommy was. He will run that program into the ground if Spurlock let's him. Oakland will be the most undisciplined team in the county if White is hired.

Tommy ran that defense and just gave Coach White the title because he didn't need it. Oakland needs to go out of the program to find their man.

Spurlock, don't kill your program with this hire.

Kris White is no where near the coach Tommy was. He will run that program into the ground if Spurlock let's him. Oakland will be the most undisciplined team in the county if White is hired.

Tommy ran that defense and just gave Coach White the title because he didn't need it. Oakland needs to go out of the program to find their man.

Spurlock, don't kill your program with this hire.

I respect your opinion, but most of accusations are way off base. Oakland's strength is the quality of their coaching staff and if White is hired, that remains intact.

Under McDaniel, discipline wasn't necessary lacking, but there was a lack of consistency. I think White would rein that in.

The most McDaniel was involved with the defense was the coaching of the secondary. The defense is and always has been White's baby since day one. He doesn't get enough credit for doing all the little things that made McDaniel's life much easier.

Oakland might be better off going outside the program, but not many schools are fortunate enough to have an internal candidate like Kris White. The kids love him and he has the trust of the other coaches. As a Oakland alum, that's good enough for me

I respect your opinion, but most of accusations are way off base. Oakland's strength is the quality of their coaching staff and if White is hired, that remains intact.

Under McDaniel, discipline wasn't necessary lacking, but there was a lack of consistency. I think White would rein that in.

The most McDaniel was involved with the defense was the coaching of the secondary. The defense is and always has been White's baby since day one. He doesn't get enough credit for doing all the little things that made McDaniel's life much easier.

Oakland might be better off going outside the program, but not many schools are fortunate enough to have an internal candidate like Kris White. The kids love him and he has the trust of the other coaches. As a Oakland alum, that's good enough for me

I'm not sure the discipline would be fixed, because if it was going on under White's watch as a coordinator, it would continue as a head coach. 

While he may have done the little things well, McDaniel ran the show on defense from what I saw. Now of course I've never been in a staff meeting with the Oakland coaches, so I don't know if White ran the show behind closed doors, but it's Gary Rankin's defense. McDaniel brought that defense with him to Oakland. The times I've watched him coach, whether it be at 7v7 camps, scrimmages, practices, or games, he's focused in on the defense. He lets the Offensive coordinator run the show on offense (which I believe screwed Tommy because went to the shotgun after going 12-1 the year before in the I form) and seems more like a manager. 

This hire could set Oakland back for years if they get it wrong. Agreed?

I'm not sure the discipline would be fixed, because if it was going on under White's watch as a coordinator, it would continue as a head coach.

While he may have done the little things well, McDaniel ran the show on defense from what I saw. Now of course I've never been in a staff meeting with the Oakland coaches, so I don't know if White ran the show behind closed doors, but it's Gary Rankin's defense. McDaniel brought that defense with him to Oakland. The times I've watched him coach, whether it be at 7v7 camps, scrimmages, practices, or games, he's focused in on the defense. He lets the Offensive coordinator run the show on offense (which I believe screwed Tommy because went to the shotgun after going 12-1 the year before in the I form) and seems more like a manager.

This hire could set Oakland back for years if they get it wrong. Agreed?

I don't think one can assume discipline would be the same. No coach was going to cross McDanuel, even if they disagreed with the punishment or lack thereof.

Yes, Oakland ran the same defense that Rankin does, but of course White is going to run it given that he played and coached for Rankin. First 4 years, McDaniel called the offense,so not much time to focus on defense.

The wrong hire could set Oakland back but making sure Oakland retains its current staff should be a higher priority. Oakland will get Its share of high level applicants, both locally and out of state

I don't think one can assume discipline would be the same. No coach was going to cross McDanuel, even if they disagreed with the punishment or lack thereof.

Yes, Oakland ran the same defense that Rankin does, but of course White is going to run it given that he played and coached for Rankin. First 4 years, McDaniel called the offense,so not much time to focus on defense.

The wrong hire could set Oakland back but making sure Oakland retains its current staff should be a higher priority. Oakland will get Its share of high level applicants, both locally and out of state

The last part of your post is the reason why they don't need to hire White.

Too many great coaching options available to settle for less.

"Broke the story??".... Been known for a week by most.  Wingman10 broke it a week ago with this thread..lol

I think what Fred meant was that the DNJ was confirming what Wingman10 had already reported!

I think when the news surfaced everybody felt like he was gone. Heck my coach interviewed just about every year, but timing seemed to always be the issue. Now that those issues have graduated one wonders how long will he remain.  :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad