Has Charge call gotten out of hand

Dragonmaster

You nailed it...Love to see people scream when lil Johnny goes in like a mad fool then gets whistles for player control foul (charge).

Gotta know the rules!

You see it at all levels and the the refs call the same exact thing a charge and a block.Basketball has morphed over the years and it makes it harder to call, Big guys kill each other near the goal with no call and you can breath on a guard driving and its a whistle. 

At a rules meeting, the refs have told us that if there were 10 block/charge situations and their refs called 10 charges, "they would only miss one call." It is terrible, some refs only call charges every time. Players flop and they get the call, we at least need the circle under the basket like college/pro.

At a rules meeting, the refs have told us that if there were 10 block/charge situations and their refs called 10 charges, "they would only miss one call." It is terrible, some refs only call charges every time. Players flop and they get the call, we at least need the circle under the basket like college/pro.

And coaches spend alot of time teaching the flop. The bad thing is,very rarely would a ref make the call if  they didn't fall.Its funny to watch a player flop before the contact even occurs.

flopping is the worst, especially on a 3-point shot.  The ref only "sees" shooter fall and automatically calls a foul.  At a boy's game a couple weeks ago, ref called a foul because the shooter fell down.  the problem was that the defender ran by the shooter for a snow-bird fast break.  he did not even try to close out or even jump to block shot.  just ran right by him.

Luckily, a vetern official came in to "discuss" and the call was changed to an inadvertant whistle.

We all know officiating is a tough job but in my opinion the quality has declined. The block/charge is a frustrating call and a difficult one to make in a split second. Both feet on the floor in the defending position and the defense is allowed to move in the guarding position. Old rule of thumb from when I was attending officiating clinics was if ball handler was able to get head and shoulders past the defender it was blocking. A large issue I have is the step back push off move by the ball handler that rarely gets called. Lots blocked shots that get called a foul that again in my opinion should not be a foul but maybe a held ball if you feel the need to make a call. I will say again if officiating was easy more would do it.

I also think the obvious flop should be T'd up.

Edited by UTRok

You see it at all levels and the the refs call the same exact thing a charge and a block.Basketball has morphed over the years and it makes it harder to call, Big guys kill each other near the goal with no call and you can breath on a guard driving and its a whistle. 

Dont get me wrong, I HATE to see anyone flop...I thot they could T up a player they felt had flopped? If Im wrong, they need to install such a penalty IMO...A true charge should be called on every play tho...Players need to play under control or go to the play ground.

This has become especially frustrating in district 11AA. We have a post player that gets a charge called on him posting up just about every game. And it is normally just a simple spin move to the basket. I agree some are charges when the shoulder is dipped, but I see a lot of flops in todays game. I remember years ago when players who flopped, they would receive a technical...you never see that happen anymore.

SCRebelNation

The game has changed alot. Everybody is bigger, and almost everyone is faster. And the faster the game gets, the more difficult it is to call.